World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Gsync Ultimate specifically targeted 1000 nits certification for HDR so makes sense.

Also, this guy is having a bad moment!

vDYzAdR.png

So seems if you want the best HDR experience, gsync ultimate module is quite important?

It sounds as if you are mostly gaming then you should turn the monitor to Source Tone Mapping.

The review is not clear whether the reduced accuracy over the non-F is important or not. My guess is that it's not so important for gaming.

After seeing that, I am still pretty much convinced about getting the F in two weeks time. There really isn't much between them and I think one less fan and firmware updates sells it to me!

Last edited:

Comparing the original with the new version

The no update thing is universal; no monitor (at all) with a Gsync Ultimate module can be updated without sending it back to the factory; Nvidia doesn't allow user updates

Iv just ordered a Alienware 34 QD-OLED GamingMonitor-AW3423DW did I make a mistake?

I really don't think so, no. There is very little between the two monitors, they are both outstanding. You will also be able to get a discount on the 25th using Dells 30 day price guarantess when the price drops for the Black Friday sale. No such reduction is possible with the F since it won't be for sale in the UK until after the sale.

I really don't think so, no. There is very little between the two monitors, they are both outstanding. You will also be able to get a discount on the 25th using Dells 30 day price guarantess when the price drops for the Black Friday sale. No such reduction is possible with the F since it won't be for sale in the UK until after the sale.
So if they drop the price for black Friday I can get the difference back

Kind of wondering when a larger version is coming out. I love my 38 inch ultrawide LG, but the QD just looks so good.

Secondary monitor or one per eye.

I have a tracking number now, probs come Monday.

Oh 4:3 mode on the F is cool. I wonder if that can be forced though through software.

Best dig through the the thread to find MRK's settings advice.

Last edited:
Kind of wondering when a larger version is coming out. I love my 38 inch ultrawide LG, but the QD just looks so good.

Dont hold your breath. AFAIK LG is the only panel manufacturer who has ever released a 38" sized panel of any sort. None of the other manufacturers seem to have shown an interest. And only LG would know how well that panel has done in comparison to its 34" peers.

Which is a pity because its a wonderful size/form factor.

Last edited:
It sounds as if you are mostly gaming then you should turn the monitor to Source Tone Mapping.

The review is not clear whether the reduced accuracy over the non-F is important or not. My guess is that it's not so important for gaming.

After seeing that, I am still pretty much convinced about getting the F in two weeks time. There really isn't much between them and I think one less fan and firmware updates sells it to me!

The review states the new 'F' model is more accurate out of the box because of the more accurate testing tool they are using... The likelihood is they're using that same tool to calibrate the 'non F' models now as well. It was the launch models where they were using the older testing tool. It wouldn't make sense to use different testing tools for different monitors when they're both being produced at the same time

Only one way to find out, someone send their one back to swap out or someone buy a new one :p
I got another one last Friday and it was a July build. Its faulty, so Dell have agreed to exchange it. Going to stick with the DW due to the hdr. Am intrigued to see if the new DW have the tighter calibration, but doubt I'll get one. Probs another July or maybe September. But fingers crossed.

Reactions: mrk
So seems if you want the best HDR experience, gsync ultimate module is quite important?

As soon as I watched the video I realised it's a nothing burger.

It's true out of the box the monitor doesn't do tone mapping and will just clip HDR highlights when the content is created for higher than 1000nits peak. But there is a software tone map option in the menu that for some reason is not enabled by default.

And if that isn't good enough, Windows has an HDR calibration app now which in 5 minutes fixes the issue and not just this issue; the Gsync monitor doesn't have some normal HDR settings available like color settings but again, doesn't matter cause the windows HDR calibration app lets you not just tone map but change colors and saturation as you wish

Reactions: mrk

It's true out of the box the monitor doesn't do tone mapping and will just clip HDR highlights when the content is created for higher than 1000nits peak. But there is a software tone map option in the menu that for some reason is not enabled by default.

And if that isn't good enough, Windows has an HDR calibration app now which in 5 minutes fixes the issue and not just this issue; the Gsync monitor doesn't have some normal HDR settings available like color settings but again, doesn't matter cause the windows HDR calibration app lets you not just tone map but change colors and saturation as you wish

Agreed. I think the video is a bit confusing. On the one hand Linus seems to make a big point about the mapping but then clearly favours the newer monitor. I don't see the point of his emphasis on mapping when there is an alternative built in. All he had to do is say is that out of the box the monitor is set for all media whereas for just gaming you want to set Source Tone Mapping to "On". Having said that, his favour towards the F are for features I personally wouldn't use. I mean unless you actually have a use to for PIP, then why bother? Even when he talks about price, well, the non-F will be the same price on the 25th of this month. All in all there is really nothing between them.

The big one for me though is the new one does HDR with the Xbox SX. For someone who has an XBox (and if you don't then the rebuttal is obvious, or may be you do but you don't care for HDR), this is not "slightly better", this is whether it works or it doesn't. I would want something top of the line in a monitor like this to work, I do game in HDR.

So that video was useful to me in this regard.

Last edited:
Only one way to find out, someone send their one back to swap out or someone buy a new one :p
I sent my AW3423DW back, but that was because of flicker. Now I'm in conflict wither to buy the DW or the DWF. If Linus is essentially saying why pay more for gsync when freesync pro will work fine, I dont know then either why buy the DW over it. I'm using a 2080Ti.

Back
Top Bottom