World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Thankfully I've not had any of these problems some people tend to have. I can't hear the fan, I've not had flickering and there was no damage, marks or smudging on the screen.
Guess I got one of the good ones... Does seem to be a bit of a lottery though :confused:
I have my one set up as well, and there's no issue as far as I could see; no fan-noise (though I do use AMD graphic card not Nvidia graphic card so not really using the Gsync but just Freesync), no dead pixel as far as I could tell, and no flickering or physical mark or smudge that I could find.

Best thing is besides being able to get it off Dell for £879, I have received £100 back from Amex for the offer of £100 back on purchase over £750, so effectively making the monitor only costing me £779.

Though Quidco didn't track my purchase for the cashback for some reason, I think I would need to get hold of them to get it sorted out.

I have my one set up as well, and there's no issue as far as I could see; no fan-noise (though I do use AMD graphic card not Nvidia graphic card so not really using the Gsync but just Freesync), no dead pixel as far as I could tell, and no flickering or physical mark or smudge that I could find.

Best thing is besides being able to get it off Dell for £879, I have received £100 back from Amex for the offer of £100 back on purchase over £750, so effectively making the monitor only costing me £779.

Though Quidco didn't track my purchase for the cashback for some reason, I think I would need to get hold of them to get it sorted out.

Ooh, that's interesting. How do you find the adaptive sync works with AMD? Does it work in HDR?

Last edited:
Ooh, that's interesting. How do you find the adaptive sync works with AMD? Does it work in HDR?
Have not got round to try it yet, but would eventually. I wanted to open Monster Hunter Rise to see how well the HDR and Freesync work together, but have been too lazy to do it lol.

Though there's know issue (or known limitation to be exactly) that 10-bit colour can over be enabled up to 144Hz; at 175Hz it will drop down to 8-bit colour.

Someone on Reddit has the F version: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/yttl46/probably_the_first_aw3423dwf_on_the_internet_and/

Initial notes:

It also has a new firmware out that fixes a loud fan noise issue:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/e...57&oscode=w2021&productcode=aw3423dwf-monitor

Curious that it has no 10-bit mode at 144Hz, this indicates to me that there is no focus on colour accuracy like with the DW has, probably not a huge issue for most, but for those who value out of the box accuracy built into the panel, this could be a miss.

I asked Dell about this and they said ( they can't be completely trusted ) that there is no limitation in the spec for 10-bit. To contradict that, I have seen two reports that you can't go above 100hz with 10-bit, but I wonder if the person was using hdmi instead of DP? I seem to remember reading somewhere there is a limitation if you use HDMI on the AW3423DW (not F) so I would think the same applies to the F.

At the moment I am leaning more towards the F, but just need this final issues sorting - whether the monitor supports 10-bit over 100Hz.

I am trying to get Dell Technical to respond.

Last edited:
I asked Dell about this and they said ( they can't be completely trusted ) that there is no limitation in the spec for 10-bit. To contradict that, I have seen two reports that you can't go above 100hz with 10-bit, but I wonder if the person was using hdmi instead of DP? I seem to remember reading somewhere there is a limitation if you use HDMI on the AW3423DW (not F) so I would think the same applies to the F.

At the moment I am leaning more towards the F, but just need this final issues sorting - whether the monitor supports 10-bit over 100Hz.

I am trying to get Dell Technical to respond.
I've just skimmed through the TomsHardware review and I didn't notive any mention hz being limited with 10-bit.

I've just skimmed through the TomsHardware review and I didn't notive any mention hz being limited with 10-bit.

That seals it for me. Unless I find out otherwise in the next three weeks then I am buying the F. The only downside I can see to the F is the comparatively high low level limit for sync - 48Hz. But normally if a game goes below 60Hz I tweak it so it remains above 60Hz, so I really don't see there is much of an issue. Importantly the F gives me complete independence from NVIDIA and when I come to replace my video card, at the moment I refuse to feed NVIDIA's greed.

OH! I just read the comments under the review and noted that some people are still talking about only 8-bit support above 100Hz. It adds some credence to the reports that there is also talk of people trying custom resolutions to get 10-bit. *Sigh*. This does seem very strange that they have a 10-bit panel and it's restricted to 48-100Hz.

Last edited:

Can you not just submit a missing cashback request?

When I ordered the gsync one earlier in the year it didn't track on top cashback initially but I still got the money a few months later after submitting a missing cashback request. That was despite me using a discount code too.

Can you not just submit a missing cashback request?

When I ordered the gsync one earlier in the year it didn't track on top cashback initially but I still got the money a few months later after submitting a missing cashback request. That was despite me using a discount code too.
Have done that earlier. Took a bit of back and forth to try to locate the Internet Receipt Number but got that in the end.

Ah! I got a reply from Dell.
NO!!! the AW3423DWF DOES NOT support 10-bit colour in refresh rates above 100Hz.

Isn't that weird.
So, for me, I have to weigh up now whether a monitor that costs nearly £1000 and effectively only works up to 100Hz is acceptable. I mean there is literally no point for me getting a 10-bit panel if I can't run it in 10-bit. I am still going to give it serious thought though, I am reluctant to go for the AW3423DW when it pretty much restricts me to an NVIDIA GPU.

Last edited:
Just get the DW then and train your brain to ignore the ambient fan noise like I have. 100Hz is fine and all, but it's a big difference to 144Hz that the DW is capable of at 10-bit, and also means if you have a powerful GPU, you will be wanting to enjoy those fast VRR synchronised frames without having to cap everything to just below 100fps to avoid tearing.

I'll be sticking with the DW @ 144Hz-10 bit and all games capped at 120fps for the best all round experience tbh.

Ah! I got a reply from Dell.
NO!!! the AW3423DWF DOES NOT support 10-bit colour in refresh rates above 100Hz.

Isn't that weird.
So, for me, I have to weigh up now whether a monitor that costs nearly £1000 and effectively only works up to 100Hz is acceptable. I mean there is literally no point for me getting a 10-bit panel if I can't run it in 10-bit. I am still going to give it serious thought though, I am reluctant to go for the AW3423DW when it pretty much restricts me to an NVIDIA GPU.
Why do you feel you are restricted to Nvidia GPU?

I just got the AW3423DW and Adaptive sync/Freesync works with my Vega64 and 10-bit Colour is supported up to 144Hz.

Just get the DW then and train your brain to ignore the ambient fan noise like I have. 100Hz is fine and all, but it's a big difference to 144Hz that the DW is capable of at 10-bit, and also means if you have a powerful GPU, you will be wanting to enjoy those fast VRR synchronised frames without having to cap everything to just below 100fps to avoid tearing.

I'll be sticking with the DW @ 144Hz-10 bit and all games capped at 120fps for the best all round experience tbh.

I think you are right. The F was a nice idea but I consider the lack of 10-bit support a serious restriction.

Why do you feel you are restricted to Nvidia GPU?

I just got the AW3423DW and Adaptive sync/Freesync works with my Vega64 and 10-bit Colour is supported up to 144Hz.

Ah, now see no one has confirmed that until now. That's good news. I was aware that adaptive sync works but I wasn't sure that HDR with Adaptive works. It's definitely the AW3423DW then!

Last edited:
Does the DWF have lower input lag?
I ask as I saw someone explaining that the lack of 10bit at 144 is due to pixel clock being higher for the new screen. Oleds use pixel orbiting meaning that the actual screen area is higher than displayed. They were claiming that the DWF includes the "full res + extra for pixel shift" whilst the DW doesn't. This takes the DWF 2% over the bandwidth needed for 144 10bit. He concluded this would result in the DW doing its own processing for the extra piixels orbiting and so will add a little more input lag.

Last edited:
Ah, now see no one has confirmed that until now. That's good news. I was aware that adaptive sync works but I wasn't sure that HDR with Adaptive works. It's definitely the AW3423DW then!
I haven't tested HDR with Adaptive Sync at the same time yet, but I could may be give it a go tonight and let you know.

Have the same annoying problem with my 2nd replacement qd-Oled Alienware monitor that it’s looks like there are dirty marks on the screen that cannot be fixed that’s very noticeable on dark content. Fed up with this monitor now :(

Have the same annoying problem with my 2nd replacement qd-Oled Alienware monitor that it’s looks like there are dirty marks on the screen that cannot be fixed that’s very noticeable on dark content. Fed up with this monitor now :(
I have had two screens with the marks from the bubble wrap. Initially i couldn't remove them. It really annoyed me, so after a few days i stopped being careful and put a lot more pressure into cleaning and they actually disappeared.

Does the DWF have lower input lag?
I ask as I saw someone explaining that the lack of 10bit at 144 is due to pixel clock being higher for the new screen. Oleds use pixel orbiting meaning that the actual screen area is higher than displayed. They were claiming that the DWF includes the "full res + extra for pixel shift" whilst the DW doesn't. This takes the DWF 2% over the bandwidth needed for 144 10bit. He concluded this would result in the DW doing its own processing for the extra piixels orbiting and so will add a little more input lag.

Yes, it does. I believe that a typical, fast monitor is about 30ms. The DW is slightly above at 34ms. The DWF is slightly below at 27ms. Personally, I don't think that's enough difference to care about.

Also, interestingly, there is an obvious lack of a 120Hz refresh rate for the F monitor. It's very possible they could add that option at a later date. That would at least be something if they offered 120Hz 10-bit.

Last edited:
Does the AW have speakers? I read that they don't. if I wanted to use a fire stick on it how would I get sound? Currently using an Acer Predator UW, which has speakers, but would like to upgrade to an UW Oled.

Back
Top Bottom