World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Theres a video on YouTube, some guy said he went out of his way and tried everything to produce burn in on the non F version, and he couldnt produce any. Idk if its actually an issue with this panel. I'm not worried.

Mine arrived on Monday and really impressed, HDR seems to work very well, coming from an S2721DGF its a marked improvement in pretty much every way and that has always been a reliable screen for the 2 years i have been using it. It does not show Freesync Premium Pro in Adrenalin software but everything seems to be working as expected, also works well on the PS5, i'm sure i can live with the black bars either side of the picture.

Haven't had the fans kick in at all, although when i game i wear a headset so wouldn't notice it if they did.

Unfortunately the foam protector on the screen had not been attached on correctly and the tape from that had then stuck to the screen leaving a bit of a mark, was unable to clean it following advice from support so they are swapping it out in the next couple of days.

Theres a video on YouTube, some guy said he went out of his way and tried everything to produce burn in on the non F version, and he couldnt produce any. Idk if its actually an issue with this panel. I'm not worried.
I feel like we'd have seen a lot more reports of it if it was a potential issue for every panel. Seems to me there just might be a few dud panels that can burn in easily, but it doesn't seem like the norm.

I've been pretty careful with my screen in terms of hiding taskbar/using black or rotating wallpapers/hiding desktop icons/using a black screen saver etc however past that I've not changed any of my usage habits at all since getting the monitor back in April. I still use it for up to 8 hours most days for work related things, and then often gaming in the evening. Sometimes the same game, like WoW especially gets at least one night a week dedicated to it. I've not noticed any burn-in still touch wood.

Oh and to answer your previous question, the screen will never forcibly do a pixel refresh. Even the notice which doesn't have a option to hide will disappear after a bit and won't bother you again.

Last edited:
Mine arrived on Monday and really impressed, HDR seems to work very well, coming from an S2721DGF its a marked improvement in pretty much every way and that has always been a reliable screen for the 2 years i have been using it. It does not show Freesync Premium Pro in Adrenalin software but everything seems to be working as expected, also works well on the PS5, i'm sure i can live with the black bars either side of the picture.

Haven't had the fans kick in at all, although when i game i wear a headset so wouldn't notice it if they did.

Unfortunately the foam protector on the screen had not been attached on correctly and the tape from that had then stuck to the screen leaving a bit of a mark, was unable to clean it following advice from support so they are swapping it out in the next couple of days.

In passing, a fine cloth with a little turps or isopropanol.

Last edited:
i was really worried about screen burn was doing all that, use blender quite a bit and mostly only play cod mw2/wz2 and apex with abit of no mans sky now and again. i have just stopped fretting over it just using it as normal for the past 4 weeks or so still all good.

I am certain this is what people will do. They will be concerned at first but as they get used to it not burning at the drop of a hat then they will stop worrying.

How come my settings look different? I'm on Windows 10. I have nothing about HDR certification? Sorry, can't work out how to put the image in here.
https://imgur.com/a/ALBmlzy

I am using 11 so I am guessing that's the difference.

11 handles HDR just that little bit better and there is a downloadable Windows (Microsoft) calibration tool. 11 can also calibrate two profiles (one SDR and one HDR) and I don't know whether 10 can even do that?

Last edited:
In passing, a fine cloth with a little turps or isopropanol.
I wish that had worked it was my first thought and tried that on suggestion of their tech support team (They include a cleaning cloth with the screen), it seems that perhaps the glue of the tape has reacted with the screen surface or marked it, its that clear tape with a crossweave and you can see the impression, if i touch it you cant feel it. I didnt want to try anything more than this for risk of damaging anymore than what was there on opening.

Replacement should arrive in a couple of days and they will pick up the existing one next week.

I'm using lint free cloth and a bit if water if I see a mark.
Make sure if you're using a microfiber it's not one of the abrasive ones. Otherwise you're going to have micro scratches everywhere.

I am using 11 so I am guessing that's the difference.

11 handles HDR just that little bit better and there is a downloadable Windows (Microsoft) calibration tool. 11 can also calibrate two profiles (one SDR and one HDR) and I don't know whether 10 can even do that?
Thanks. I guess I should consider moving to 11 then. I'm very stubborn with operating systems. I get used to it and I dont want to change. I'd still be on Windows 7 if a game didnt force me to move to 10. Heck, I'd still be on Windows 98SE if everything still worked xD

Thanks. I guess I should consider moving to 11 then. I'm very stubborn with operating systems. I get used to it and I dont want to change. I'd still be on Windows 7 if a game didnt force me to move to 10. Heck, I'd still be on Windows 98SE if everything still worked xD
It's literally the only reason to move to W11. If you hate changing, W11 will make you want to jump off a bridge. It's not the most customisable either, but look at the positive, it does do HDR properly and rather well.

Yes, 10 is very clumsy with HDR.

The easy answer is to download a Windows tweak tool and change anything you don't like back to 10. I have one and I used it mainly to remove stuff from the context menu because the layout in 11 prioritises new stuff rather than the old stuff you actually use. I deleted all the new options so the old ones were back where they used to be! Put aside a few days to try 11 out and tweak it to the way you want it to be.

Last edited:
It's literally the only reason to move to W11. If you hate changing, W11 will make you want to jump off a bridge. It's not the most customisable either, but look at the positive, it does do HDR properly and rather well.

For HDR content yes, but if just left on then everything else (which is SDR content) looks out of whack, even if slightly, so images, videos, etc will all not be accurate and black will be lightly lifted no matter what slider changes you make in Windows display settings. The HDR Calibration tool is purely to get HDR luminance matched up to what the display is physically capable of, then giving you a vibrancy slider at the end which is an optional change depending on your preference of vibrant colours or natural etc.

HDR still needs to be turned off when not playing games or watching HDR stuff unless you don't mind having inaccurate colours and tones when SDR content is on the screen, which will be 100% of the time when not gaming or watching a HDR video.

It might not be obvious at first, but flicking between on vs off when just in Windows displaying a normal image in a browser (example) you can see the difference, and those with a colour critical eye will notice it even without having to compare side by side. Seems a disservice to keep HDR on in Windows because you're not doing the accurate SDR colours of such a monitor justice by doing so.

Last edited:
For HDR content yes, but if just left on then everything else (which is SDR content) looks out of whack, even if slightly, so images, videos, etc will all not be accurate and black will be lightly lifted no matter what slider changes you make in Windows display settings. The HDR Calibration tool is purely to get HDR luminance matched up to what the display is physically capable of, then giving you a vibrancy slider at the end which is an optional change depending on your preference of vibrant colours or natural etc.

HDR still needs to be turned off when not playing games or watching HDR stuff unless you don't mind having inaccurate colours and tones when SDR content is on the screen, which will be 100% of the time when not gaming or watching a HDR video.

It might not be obvious at first, but flicking between on vs off when just in Windows displaying a normal image in a browser (example) you can see the difference, and those with a colour critical eye will notice it even without having to compare side by side. Seems a disservice to keep HDR on in Windows because you're not doing the accurate SDR colours of such a monitor justice by doing so.
Wow. I see what you mean. Turning HDR off and on while just looking at a screenshot I took last night, there is a vast difference. The photo looks pretty bad with HDR on, way too bright in the bright parts. And colours washed out. Do non HDR games look better with HDR on? FFXIV looked pretty good to me last night with my untrained eyes. But idk.

Wow. I see what you mean. Turning HDR off and on while just looking at a screenshot I took last night, there is a vast difference. The photo looks pretty bad with HDR on, way too bright in the bright parts. And colours washed out. Do non HDR games look better with HDR on? FFXIV looked pretty good to me last night with my untrained eyes. But idk.
Windows 11 has Auto HDR (off by default), I don't know why they call it that because it should be called something more fitting for what it actually does like "Auto SDR to HDR for games" - Exactly what it says on the tin.

I have not used it really but may do at some point. It wasn't great when it first featured but now apparently it's very good, especially after 22H2 Windows 11.

Some details here if interested: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-0cce8402-3de5-4512-a742-e027ca7aa79c

And worth a watch:

Last edited:
Touch wood, I've never had burn in on OLED in 7 years. Granted each screen has only had 2yrs of being a pc screen, and I didn't use them for office work. However, I am still careful.
I'm still taking precautions with the AW, as there have been a few reports of early burn in on this screen (not my biggest concern), and 6 months really isn't long to be able to say it won't happen. Tbf, if they did show signs so quickly it would be really bad.

Windows 11 has Auto HDR (off by default), I don't know why they call it that because it should be called something more fitting for what it actually does like "Auto SDR to HDR for games" - Exactly what it says on the tin.

I have not used it really but may do at some point. It wasn't great when it first featured but now apparently it's very good, especially after 22H2 Windows 11.

Some details here if interested: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-0cce8402-3de5-4512-a742-e027ca7aa79c

And worth a watch:

Thank you. Looks like I will have move to windows 11 then. I read a tiny bit about it and as far as I understand it turns a non hdr game into hdr, and does it very well. Someone used the words "holy ****" when describing what it did for ffxiv xD I also read that the hdr setting in windows 10 does nothing for non hdr games except make it brighter. I'll watch that video, thanks :)

Have you tried the different HDR modes on the monitor (Desktop, Movie, Game, Custom, Display, HDR Peak 1000)? They all look quite different. Perhaps the ‘Desktop’ mode would give better colour representation with SDR content? I still need to experiment with these modes and see which looks best to me.

Also, is there a way to get Windows to automatically enable HDR when a supported game is launched and revert to standard on termination? There are quite a few standard profiles too, and these can only be selected when HDR processing is off.

None of the other modes represent accurate colours compared to Creator mode in SRGB. But when in HDR mode anyway, everything is dictated by HDR which is why Creator mode is greyed out and the SDR content relies on good HDR<>SDR mapping which OSes like MacOS do well, but Windows not so much.

I only use CReator mode in SRGB, Windows is set to 10-bit to maximise HDR gaming and media (which are 10-bit).

An app was posted in the thread called Auto Actions (open source) that does exactly that for games that do not auto trigger HDR.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom