World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

I'm going to move to Windows 11 later. I guess I'll find out later, but do I still have to toggle auto hdr on and off for games/desktop usage? Also, when hiding the taskbar, does anyone know a way to get rid of that tiny line (not the search bar) at the bottom of the screen? I've googled it and all avenues lead to no, it's not possible. But I dont take no for an answer well, and this tiny line bugs me. it wont let me change it to black, it stays a grey colour.

Have you tried the different HDR modes on the monitor (Desktop, Movie, Game, Custom, Display, HDR Peak 1000)? They all look quite different. Perhaps the ‘Desktop’ mode would give better colour representation with SDR content? I still need to experiment with these modes and see which looks best to me.

Also, is there a way to get Windows to automatically enable HDR when a supported game is launched and revert to standard on termination? There are quite a few standard profiles too, and these can only be selected when HDR processing is off.

I haven't tried all the different modes yet, I am not even sure what mode I am running in as I type. I do know that gaming mode is one that reports a higher nit level than the monitor is actually capable of so is probably one of these that has a tone map that compresses the upper brightness levels. The modes are undocumented so really I have no idea what most of them do. I've said it before but some review or other needs to look at the modes.

The most annoying thing for me is Steam. It seems to make a right mess of displaying itself in an HDR game.

I can vouch for AutoActions. Most games will automatically switch to HDR by themselves and one or two of those require it to be off before they run. Of the games I have only Borderlands 3 requires AutoActions. I have Guardians of the Galaxy configured in there too, but I am not sure whether it actually needs to be.

I'm going to move to Windows 11 later. I guess I'll find out later, but do I still have to toggle auto hdr on and off for games/desktop usage? Also, when hiding the taskbar, does anyone know a way to get rid of that tiny line (not the search bar) at the bottom of the screen? I've googled it and all avenues lead to no, it's not possible. But I dont take no for an answer well, and this tiny line bugs me. it wont let me change it to black, it stays a grey colour.

Depends what game it is. Most of them will automatically switch to HDR when you run them. Some can only be configured as HDR when Windows is in HDR mode. Others demand that HDR is off when you run them. It's down to the games unfortunately, so you have to play around a little.

As far as I am aware you can't get rid of the line on the Taskbar.

Last edited:
Depends what game it is. Most of them will automatically switch to HDR when you run them. Some can only be configured as HDR when Windows is in HDR mode. Others demand that HDR is off when you run them. It's down to the games unfortunately, so you have to play around a little.

As far as I am aware you can't get rid of the line on the Taskbar.
Thanks. But boooooo.... I have this wonderful black desktop wallpaper, that is more black than a thousand nights. Blacker than I've ever experienced. Truly wonderful... then this bloody thin grey line at the bottom of the screen! I'll try my best to let my OCDs accept this while I amass a bunch of ffxiv photos at this resolution, that I can use as wallpaper and cycle every 10 mins. I love to take photos in games and use them as wallpaper. But now I have thousands of photos at my old resolution that are no good for this monitor. So sad xD

Thanks. But boooooo.... I have this wonderful black desktop wallpaper, that is more black than a thousand nights. Blacker than I've ever experienced. Truly wonderful... then this bloody thin grey line at the bottom of the screen! I'll try my best to let my OCDs accept this while I amass a bunch of ffxiv photos at this resolution, that I can use as wallpaper and cycle every 10 mins. I love to take photos in games and use them as wallpaper. But now I have thousands of photos at my old resolution that are no good for this monitor. So sad xD

I've mentioned this before in this thread, I have a few hundred 3440x1440 nature wallpapers that I collected for this monitor. They are not dull, but nor do they have any seriously blinding pics so are pretty good for this type of monitor. I just need someone to suggest where I can upload them to, so people can download them. They are just jpegs so no executable or anything. You just pop them in a folder and set windows to display them as a slideshow. They are all processed from 4K photos so they are all pretty good quality.

Last edited:
I've mentioned this before in this thread, I have a few hundred 3440x1440 nature wallpapers that I collected for this monitor. They are not dull, but nor do they have any seriously blinding pics so are pretty good for this type of monitor. I just need someone to suggest where I can upload them to, so people can download them. They are just jpegs so no executable or anything. You just pop them in a folder and set windows to display them as a slideshow. They are all processed from 4K photos so they are all pretty good quality.
Thanks. I'll soon have a fair few game photos I can use, it will give me an excuse to take some. I spend a lot of time taking photos in games. Then I like to set the ones I like as my wallpaper.

On another note, I've just done the free upgrade to Windows 11. And now in my advanced display settings it is showing 8-bit depth at 100hz. Before it showed 10-bit at 100hz. I've tried changing it and changing back, and still 8 bit. Hmmm....
Edit.. ignore me, turned HDR on and it now says 10 bit at 100hz. Phew xD

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll soon have a fair few game photos I can use, it will give me an excuse to take some. I spend a lot of time taking photos in games. Then I like to set the ones I like as my wallpaper.

On another note, I've just done the free upgrade to Windows 11. And now in my advanced display settings it is showing 8-bit depth at 100hz. Before it showed 10-bit at 100hz. I've tried changing it and changing back, and still 8 bit. Hmmm....
Edit.. ignore me, turned HDR on and it now says 10 bit at 100hz. Phew xD

There is, apparently, a manual configuration being passed around that gives another option - 120Hz at 10-Bit. Not that it really matters but something to look around for if you are interested.

Ah! I finally found how to set Source Tone Mapping. You have to turn Console Mode on but you will see the Tone Mapping is greyed out. You have to turn HDR on in Windows. That then enables the Tone Mapping selection in the monitor. My guess is that this explains why some people think it is greyed out for them - its not - they just haven't got HDR enabled in Windows.

Last edited:
Ah! I finally found how to set Source Tone Mapping. You have to turn Console Mode on but you will see the Tone Mapping is greyed out. You have to turn HDR on in Windows. That then enables the Tone Mapping selection in the monitor. My guess is that this explains why some people think it is greyed out for them - its not - they just haven't got HDR enabled in Windows.
Cool. I will have to try this. a lot of settings to try out and tweak it seems. Steep learning curve for me, I dont even know what half this stuff means xD But I'm learning :)

Good to know!

That didnt seem to work for me, wonder if im missing something

RX6800XT and using Windows 11, its no real issue as everything seems to be working well, just waiting for the replacement delivery to be confirmed due to the marks on the screen

So it could be down to the RX6800XT. I wonder why? The monitor must know something we don't. Is it showing the Freesync type correctly?

Last edited:
Finally got my order in for the DWF, Dell taking ages to support properly through my work. Total for my order was £764.69 - That was the best I can get it.

If anyone is ordering, there's an 8% off code that works at the moment. Its MyVoucherCodes8MON

Finally got my order in for the DWF, Dell taking ages to support properly through my work. Total for my order was £764.69 - That was the best I can get it.

If anyone is ordering, there's an 8% off code that works at the moment. Its MyVoucherCodes8MON

Much better than the price I got it for, and I am still chuffed with this monitor!! :cry:

Back
Top Bottom