World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

I am so tempted but the would like to know if they will be able to fix the issues with the HDR1000 mode.

There seem to be two issues at the moment. The HDR1000 mode is bugged and also some AMD cards seem to have some difficulty with the monitor's Source Tone Mapping. The one thing I do know is that the gaming mode is HDR2000 though although we have no information as to whether it is accurate or not. I think that Dell are well aware of the issues, just a question of how long it takes them to fix them.

So tempted by this Monitor. I just going to wait until January is out of the way see what other monitors are announced.

One thing for sure I am willing to drop from 4k to 1440p for oled

The 8% code reduced posted above is available into February.

I've now created a HDR calibration tool profile in HDR 400 mode and feel that was able to see a finished result screen with better detail in that test image where the sun is more defined vs the calibration result in Peak 1000 mode.

Windows also says the brightness is 980 nits vs the 2070 when doing it in Peak 1000. So this is clearly just doubling the numebr for some reason as Peak 1000 was showing 2070 nits.

For ref, I was able to get the slider to 980 nits when the calibration cross became equal to the background, and 2070 when in Peak 1000 mode.

a4oIj7o.png

7MpzcHx.png

I've now created a HDR calibration tool profile in HDR 400 mode and feel that was able to see a finished result screen with better detail in that test image where the sun is more defined vs the calibration result in Peak 1000 mode.

Windows also says the brightness is 980 nits vs the 2070 when doing it in Peak 1000. So this is clearly just doubling the numebr for some reason as Peak 1000 was showing 2070 nits.

For ref, I was able to get the slider to 980 nits when the calibration cross became equal to the background, and 2070 when in Peak 1000 mode.

a4oIj7o.png

7MpzcHx.png

Don't understand that. With the F it does not double the number.
Let me try with another HDR monitor.
My other Alienware only has one mode. It's HDR600. That is correctly reported.
I don't really understand all these modes and so on, we really could do with a decent description of what they are.

Last edited:
Well, after a weekend of enjoying this wonderful monitor, I can confirm the difference between HDR on Windows 10, and HDR on Windows 11 is a night and day difference. Wow. Auto HDR works with FFXIV, my main game. And I've spent all weekend in awe. Wow. Literally blown away by it. It feels like Windows 11 has unlocked this monitor for me and my game. Trying to explain it to people who havent experience OLED and HDR, is almost impossible, probably because of the emotions involved haha. I calibrated the windows 11 hdr brightness so I could only just get rid of the cross, which was 510 for me. I've got the monitor on hdr true black, which I believe is hdr400... and it's about as much brightness as my eyeballs can handle in my dark room. I cant see me ever wanting hdr1000, my eyes would burn/melt/go pop xD

And the colours and the blacks! My lord!

So totally amazed by this monitor. It's safe to say I have no intention of returning it. Wow. Just wow. xD

I've used auto hdr for gaming for the first time now too and was playing the next gen Witcher 3 last night. Worked really well but I felt it brightened up the game more than what I'd feel was necessary especially with ray tracing enabled! Like areas that are supposed to be dark looked like they were being rendered in the non ray tracing mode, just without that weird almost blue tint that screen space illumination gives lol.

I'll try it in other games too but in this game I much prefer non HDR as it looks the most natural.

Some people will no doubt prefer this style of sutonhdr though.

I have a delivery date of 22nd but "in production" has not gone green. Anyone know how long from production to shipping usually takes?

It can take any time. Could go any second today or tomorrow. There is usually a very small delay between "production" and "shipped". You will probably get a delivery advisory first, unless you sit on the website hitting page refresh!

I've used auto hdr for gaming for the first time now too and was playing the next gen Witcher 3 last night. Worked really well but I felt it brightened up the game more than what I'd feel was necessary especially with ray tracing enabled! Like areas that are supposed to be dark looked like they were being rendered in the non ray tracing mode, just without that weird almost blue tint that screen space illumination gives lol.

I'll try it in other games too but in this game I much prefer non HDR as it looks the most natural.

Some people will no doubt prefer this style of sutonhdr though.

Witcher 3 doesn't use auto hdr on my machine. Maybe auto hdr is bypassing the game hdr?

The game doesn't have HDR available in settings that I could see, auto HDR was definitely working fine though, just not using HDR as expected. Granted Auto hdr won't produce the same results in all games of course.

Edit*
It seems the next gen update employs a different way of turning on HDR, by not giving you a toggle in settings like every other game :cry:

As long as you turn on Windows HDR mode first (and leave Auto HDR off), it will use the game's native HDR: https://twistedvoxel.com/hdr-witcher-3-next-gen-update-pc/

Last edited:
The game doesn't have HDR available in settings that I could see, auto HDR was definitely working fine though, just not using HDR as expected. Granted Auto hdr won't produce the same results in all games of course.

Edit*
It seems the next gen update employs a different way of turning on HDR, by not giving you a toggle in settings like every other game :cry:

As long as you turn on Windows HDR mode first (and leave Auto HDR off), it will use the game's native HDR: https://twistedvoxel.com/hdr-witcher-3-next-gen-update-pc/

I find it varies from game to game. Some do this, some do that, some do the weirdest things!

guys, anyone coming from the lg34gp950g-b..see been reduced to £699. toying with this or the aw3423dwf as widescreen for my son's b'day/xmas present pus he's putting some cash towards it...still expensive though..is it worth the premium..reviews put the lg as good ultrawide too, and thinking he can use that for schoolwork too, not just gaming..how bad is text on the dwf?
he plays destiny 2, halo, no mans sky, bit of fortnite but not so much anymore..he just finished elderscrolls..basically likes 1st person shooters but mix of games

below what's making me pause on the lg

Last edited:
That HDR tool makes my GPU crash, now in process of RMA'ing it, there is something clearly not right.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom