World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

I think, at the moment, there is a lot of confusion over the modes.
Look at mine...

The difference here is you are looking at a different tone map. That one is the Gaming tone map (calibrated). Windows is just reporting what it's being told by the monitor, and adjusted by the calibration. It's not an actual measure of the brightness. The result, I suppose, is a measure of the range of the tone map, which in this case is 2000 nits.

My DW reports the correct brightness, is this because the DW doesn't let you play with tonemapping?

IUpbAB9.jpg.png

My DW reports the correct brightness, is this because the DW doesn't let you play with tonemapping?

IUpbAB9.jpg.png

I guess we will have to wait and see what happens. My guess here is that it is is a reporting issue and there will be a new release of Firmware in the coming months. Hopefully someone will do a review to clear all this up. Personally, I am not concerned in that I use mine in HDR400 mode anyway. I assume that the gaming HDR2000 mode must compress the top 1000 nits, which is not really something I am interested in. Anyway, HDR400 is blindingly bright anyway!

Last edited:
Burn-in saving doo-dad.

I thought there was something that ran every four hours? I have run mine a lot longer than 4 hours and there is no sign of anything running. Is there something I need to enable?

I've got the DWF in my basket for £837 atm, but I used to get a 20% discount on monitors from work, but the discount seems to have vanished. Will contact dell tomorrow.

Burn-in saving doo-dad.

I thought there was something that ran every four hours? I have run mine a lot longer than 4 hours and there is no sign of anything running. Is there something I need to enable?

There is but it only kicks in when you turn the monitor off. It would also notify you that it wants to run it but I disabled the message because I don't want that popping up when I'm trying to use it.

Last edited:
It will also kick in when you lock your computer. The lockscreen times out when idle for a minute and the screen goes to sleep triggering the pixel refresh if it's due.

I've finally got round to setting this monitor up yesterday even though it arrived last week!

It's my first venture into ultrawide screen so will take a little getting use to but it is absolutely delicious :cool:

The colours are amazing out of the box, will look back through the thread for any calibration recommendations.

One question I do have, does anyone know if it is possible to auto-hide the task bar on separate monitors? As far as I can see it's all or nothing on Windows 11, I have read it is recommended to auto-hide the taskbar for OLED monitors to avoid screen burn, but the way I work I like having the taskbar on.

I've finally got round to setting this monitor up yesterday even though it arrived last week!

It's my first venture into ultrawide screen so will take a little getting use to but it is absolutely delicious :cool:

The colours are amazing out of the box, will look back through the thread for any calibration recommendations.

One question I do have, does anyone know if it is possible to auto-hide the task bar on separate monitors? As far as I can see it's all or nothing on Windows 11, I have read it is recommended to auto-hide the taskbar for OLED monitors to avoid screen burn, but the way I work I like having the taskbar on.

There may well be a utility that allows you to independantly control the taskbars but I am unaware of it.

Yep there are a few changes I made to the way I work. I tended to leave the Taskbar visible all the time, but just had to get used to hiding it.

There are a few things I did -

1. Get rid of all static icons on the desktop.
2. Cycle wallpaper every 10 mins and use wallpapers that are relatively dull (I have a set of 273 nature wallpapers that I can share if we can find a way of doing that).
3. Set the Tasknbar to auto-hide
4. In Windows Personalisation - Set "mode" to dark. Set "show accent colour on start and taskbar" to off. Set "show accent colour on title bars and windows borders" to off.
5. You can also use something like the Opera GX browser which can force webistes to be dark.

There are plenty of folk who don't do these things with the monitor, but my feeling on the matter is that's it's no big deal so why not?

There may well be a utility that allows you to independantly control the taskbars but I am unaware of it.

Yep there are a few changes I made to the way I work. I tended to leave the Taskbar visible all the time, but just had to get used to hiding it.

2. Cycle wallpaper every 10 mins and use wallpapers that are relatively dull (I have a set of 273 nature wallpapers that I can share if we can find a way of doing that).
4. In Windows Personalisation - Set "mode" to dark. Set "show accent colour on start and taskbar" to off. Set "show accent colour on title bars and windows borders" to off.
5. You can also use something like the Opera GX browser which can force webistes to be dark.

There are plenty of folk who don't do these things with the monitor, but my feeling on the matter is that's it's no big deal so why not?
Thank you for those useful recommendations, I do like dark mode in Windows, didn't realise that option existed! Thankfully I already have Opera GX and use dark mode on that but great tip.

For now I'll set the taskbar to only appear on the main monitor which is my second monitor but will see if a tool does exist to do what I'm after.

Definitely interested in those nature wallpapers, perhaps you can DM me with a shared link where I can download them?

I get you guys want to try and eliminate as much screen burn as possible, but just fyi, dell do give you a 3 year screen burn warranty. Maybe dont worry to much ?

Burn-in saving doo-dad.

Only runs when monitor is off after 4 hours being on (combined - eg use it for 2 hours one day, 1 hr the next day and then another hour on day 3 and when you switch it off on day 3 it will run the program)

Only runs when monitor is off after 4 hours being on (combined - eg use it for 2 hours one day, 1 hr the next day and then another hour on day 3 and when you switch it off on day 3 it will run the program)

Ah, it just did. I left the warning on, since I sometimes turn the PC off at the wall.

Finally got to unbox and play with my F version tonight. Woooooooooow. I play FFXIV mainly, and although an old game, and no HDR, it looked absolutely amazing. This is my first widescreen format too, coming from a 24 inch monitor. I tried a couple of raids and I was just stunned with everyone's spell effects going off at once. So bright and colourful and vivid. Good job they were easy raids, cos I'm a healer, and there couldve been a lot more deaths on my hands, what with me being distracted by all the pretties xD

I only played for about 3 hours. I havent heard the fan yet, which was my main concern. We will see what it does after more continuous hours.

Idk if I've set it up right. I installed the drivers. I set the refresh rate to 165hz in the Nvidia settings, and turned on HDR in Windows. In the monitor on-screen settings I have Smart HDR set to "Display HDR true black". Is this hdr400? I certainly dont want it any brighter in my dark room!

I just went into Windows advanced display settings and I see it has a bit depth of "8 bit with dithering" at 165hz... but when I change it to 100hz it says a bit depth of 10bit. Not sure which I should use.

And I see you guys talking about the pixel refresh. I had the message pop up when I was in a raid. Gave some options, but I was busy and it disappeared after a bit. I see in the on screen settings the pixel refresh saying it will happen after 4 cumulative hours. I selected do it in standby.... I'm concerned I will be interrupted while I'm trying to play. Will it happen automatically while I'm playing, if I've had the monitor on for 4 hours?

Initial impressions are that I'm blown away by it. Wow xD

I think, at the moment, there is a lot of confusion over the modes.
Look at mine...

The difference here is you are looking at a different tone map. That one is the Gaming tone map (calibrated). Windows is just reporting what it's being told by the monitor, and adjusted by the calibration. It's not an actual measure of the brightness. The result, I suppose, is a measure of the range of the tone map, which in this case is 2000 nits.
How come my settings look different? I'm on Windows 10. I have nothing about HDR certification? Sorry, can't work out how to put the image in here.
https://imgur.com/a/ALBmlzy

Screw that, I'm not making any changes apart from allowing it to sleep after 5 mins inactivity.

I have a few desktop icons, I use 1 wallpaper that I like and it's not dark, my taskbar is permanent and I'm not using dark mode because that's for phones imo

3 year warranty for a reason and if any of the above cause any burn-in I get future me a brand new screen with any new features they've added over time :)

Oh and I only use HDR for games, it's off in normal windows use

Last edited:
i was really worried about screen burn was doing all that, use blender quite a bit and mostly only play cod mw2/wz2 and apex with abit of no mans sky now and again. i have just stopped fretting over it just using it as normal for the past 4 weeks or so still all good.

Screw that, I'm not making any changes apart from allowing it to sleep after 5 mins inactivity.

I have a few desktop icons, I use 1 wallpaper that I like and it's not dark, my taskbar is permanent and I'm not using dark mode because that's for phones imo

3 year warranty for a reason and if any of the above cause any burn-in I get future me a brand new screen with any new features they've added over time :)

Oh and I only use HDR for games, it's off in normal windows use

Same here - using mine daily for work, with Visual Studio, SSMS, browser etc. windows usually in the same place. The only change I've made is reducing the display off timer down to 1 minute, so it shuts off ASAP if I leave my desk and forget to switch it off.

Have been using it like this since April, and no sign of screen burn so far (I do work in quite a dimly lit room, so the brightness is only at 54%)

Back
Top Bottom