World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

I spent far too many nights raving in the 90s to hear coil whine, and if I could hear it I'd probably mistake it for the loud music induced tinnitus anyway

Really? I don't really like the stand either. The monitor looks snazzy but the stand looks out of place.

I have had Alienware and Samsung before, I would trust either, but the lack of warranty for the Samsung will worry a lot of people. I think Alienware have this in the bag.
Yeah, I can't remember what video I saw it in months ago, but all the wiring goes through the stand so you can't replace it
EDIT: an unboxing video tells me I'm wrong about the wiring, but there looks to be something that could be an adapter for VESA in this video here
top left of picture and bottom right of instructions
the guy then shows it and says he doesn't know what it is.. hahah

Last edited:
I have installed the Dell display manager. I can see different HDR profiles: Desktop, Movie, Game, Custom, Display, HDR Peak 1000. Is there any more information on these profiles? I can see quite a few preset modes too, however to change these it looks like I have to disable HDR processing. And, what is Dark Stabilizer? So much to learn about this monitor. What calibration steps are required?

Sorry, me again: The available refresh rates I have in Windows advanced display settings are: 59.97Hz, 99.98Hz and 164.90Hz. I've also noticed that the Bit depth drops from 10 to 9 when selecting the max rate (dithering is active). Does this sound right?

Thanks!

according to this.... https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidem...3dwf_tonemaping_over_500nits_works_only_with/

not even 500 nits on nVidia, but full 1000 nits on AMD for the AWF ?

Probably another bug I guess. No such issue with tone mapping on LG OLED with Nvidia gpu. And the DW (non F version) doesn't give the option to disable tone mapping, it's just always on and does 1000 nits on Nvidia GPUs. Also, there is a reply to that thread saying 1000 hits works for them on their 3080 https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidem...emaping_over_500nits_works_only_with/izt7lv6/

Last edited:
More a joke than anything else really.

Some other games did too when full ray tracing was to be enabled, although the reality is that they didn't get anywhere near 32GB of actual RAM usage. Think it comes down to the dev kits for the ports using PCs with 32GB RAM and a mix of GPUs up to RTX 3080 - A guy on reddit commented saying he was part of building those very devkit PCs and the performance was... questionable due to the shader compilation stutter.

Question remains, Days Gone and others fixed the shader comp stutter either on day 1 or a week or so after release of those games, will Returnal follow suit....

I have installed the Dell display manager. I can see different HDR profiles: Desktop, Movie, Game, Custom, Display, HDR Peak 1000. Is there any more information on these profiles? I can see quite a few preset modes too, however to change these it looks like I have to disable HDR processing. And, what is Dark Stabilizer? So much to learn about this monitor. What calibration steps are required?

The setup seems to be different to the DW. In particular there are a lot more preset HDR options. I am not sure what they do, except if you turn Smart HDR off then the monitor becomes a simple SDR monitor (Windows doesn't even know it is HDR). I am assuming on Desktop that it is the so called HDR400 True Black. I am not sure whether the other options are different tone maps or what.

Last edited:
Really tempted to get the Alienware but not sure which one. I currently have an iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1 which is lacking when it comes to HDR/brightness. I do have a 55-inch CX so that's another option but I wouldn't be able to use it for non-gaming tasks as it's in another room.

Really tempted to get the Alienware but not sure which one. I currently have an iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1 which is lacking when it comes to HDR/brightness. I do have a 55-inch CX so that's another option but I wouldn't be able to use it for non-gaming tasks as it's in another room.

To me the main benefits of the AW3423DW(F) is just the picture quality itself. I had a good IPS monitor before I bought the F, but the F just blows it away. The contrast is so good that the colours really pop. Despite the IPS supposedly giving great colours they just don't compare to the QD-OLED. It's a really huge improvement in games even without HDR. It's very smooth too, even at relatively low refresh rates. HDR is just icing on the cake.
I would not buy one for general business. The colour fringing when you are using dark backgrounds would drive me nuts.
As to which one, I don't know. There is really very little between them and I would be tempted to say "whichever one you can get" !

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hello please has somebody got a dell voucher code as i would like to buy one of these for sons xmas ....merry xmas ho ho ho

Windows advanced display settings is reporting a peak brightness of 465 nits on my RTX 3080.

That's not good.

Has anyone tried running the Windows HDR Calibration utility (MS Store)?

See: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/zcii74/aw3423dwf_peak_brightness_500_nits/
I think, at the moment, there is a lot of confusion over the modes.
Look at mine...

The difference here is you are looking at a different tone map. That one is the Gaming tone map (calibrated). Windows is just reporting what it's being told by the monitor, it's not an actual measure of the brightness. The result, I suppose, is a measure of the range of the tone map, which in this case is 2000 nits.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom