World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

guys, anyone coming from the lg34gp950g-b..see been reduced to £699. toying with this or the aw3423dwf as widescreen for my son's b'day/xmas present pus he's putting some cash towards it...still expensive though..is it worth the premium..reviews put the lg as good ultrawide too, and thinking he can use that for schoolwork too, not just gaming..how bad is text on the dwf?
he plays destiny 2, halo, no mans sky, bit of fortnite but not so much anymore..he just finished elderscrolls..basically likes 1st person shooters but mix of games

below what's making me pause on the lg

That's a really difficult question to answer. It depends on the colour of the text and the colour of the background as to how noticeable it is. It is far less noticeable when you are using black text on a white background and far more noticeable when you are using white text on a black baground. It also depends on how far you sit from the monitor. I guess the biggest thing though is whether you get uptight about it! Personally I think anyone will get used to it in a few weeks given the overall benefits of the qd-oled monitor.

It's highly likely that text renderers of this world will come up with solutions for the pixel layout in qd-oleds. If that's the case then the problem will simply go away. It can go away! Look at the end of the video above.

As far as I understand, the tool is fairly new, it could be a bug somewhere.

It doesnt happen using my igpu, and there is a lot of other stuff that doesn't belong in this thread but needless to say, first AMD GPU since 2006, last one ever :D
Tempted to get that Dell 34" UW 1800R to sit above the OLED one as a secondary screen, I'd want the curves to match even if nothing else does.

Last edited:
Been having a chat with some fellow owners who are moaning about hdr 1000's ABL being too much so they use HDR 400.

Is this the case for anyone else? On win 10 I have the sdr-hdr slider set to 90 and have little to no issues. Only beef is when a win notification interrupts full screen mode and then the screen gets washed out.

Been having a chat with some fellow owners who are moaning about hdr 1000's ABL being too much so they use HDR 400.

Is this the case for anyone else? On win 10 I have the sdr-hdr slider set to 90 and have little to no issues. Only beef is when a win notification interrupts full screen mode and then the screen gets washed out.

I use HDR400. I am in a fairly dark room so it's more than bright enough for me. I think the reason HDR400 gets a lot of stick is largely down to the fact that many LCD monitors declared that they were HDR400. 400 nits is not difficult to achieve with an LCD monitor, but the contrast is usually pretty bad. What makes the Alienware stand out is the True Black part! It means it really does have a higher dynamic range.

I really would move to Win11 if you want HDR to operate a tad better.

Yes, unfortunately, not all the problems have been resolved. There are some applications like Steam that really don't know what they should be doing in HDR mode.

Why would anyone use HDR outside of a game anyway; it's like "ooh yeah see some of that HDR1000 excel spreadsheeting, so sex baby, 360 no scope pivot tables, ooh yeah!"

The joke here being that the ABL thing you mention doesn't occur while gaming, so anyone who complains about ABL it's because they have HDR1000 enabled while they are sending emails, writing word documents, writing formulas in excel etc and that's pretty stupid

Last edited:
Why would anyone use HDR outside of a game anyway; it's like "ooh yeah see some of that HDR1000 excel spreadsheeting, so sex baby, 360 no scope pivot tables, ooh yeah!"

The joke here being that the ABL thing you mention doesn't occur while gaming, so anyone who complains about ABL it's because they have HDR1000 enabled while they are sending emails, writing word documents, writing formulas in excel etc and that's pretty stupid
Are you suggesting they continuously turn the HDR on and off between games?

What makes the Alienware stand out is the True Black part! It means it really does have a higher dynamic range.
I only learned about this True Black labelling yesterday, and that it's a different spec from previous HDR 400. The "True Black" seems redundant for OLEDs, you're gonna get that anyway.

I only learned about this True Black labelling yesterday, and that it's a different spec from previous HDR 400. The "True Black" seems redundant for OLEDs, you're gonna get that anyway.
Aye, it's (True Black) available to all OLED, not just QD-OLED or this particular monitor. As they (individual pixels) don't light up at all, hence "True Black". The HDRX00 is where it helps with the True Black though.

Once again, still looking for a new monitor and... I think it's down to these new QD-OLEDS for me. I was thinking of grabbing something like the Dell U27QE the IPS Black panel monitor, but the price difference between that and this AW34DWF is barely £200 with the discount code. And whilst it won't have full 4K resolution, I can always just grab a HDMI cable and then plug into the LG CX for that when I need it.

Just concerned about the fans on the AW (when you've silenced everything else, even the slightest sound is going to be noticeable).

Once again, still looking for a new monitor and... I think it's down to these new QD-OLEDS for me. I was thinking of grabbing something like the Dell U27QE the IPS Black panel monitor, but the price difference between that and this AW34DWF is barely £200 with the discount code. And whilst it won't have full 4K resolution, I can always just grab a HDMI cable and then plug into the LG CX for that when I need it.

Just concerned about the fans on the AW (when you've silenced everything else, even the slightest sound is going to be noticeable).

They apparently improved the fan noise levels for the F version. I can not hear the fan in mine.

I use my old monitor for business applications. The F resolution is perfect for games, though, it's so easy to drive compared to 4K.

Never noticed the fan at any point, was using it for the last week, work during the day then gaming in HDR of an evening.

Sadly it's boxed up waiting to be collected and returned today due to the screen mark/scratches, new one will be with me soon I hope.

Thanks all, the lack of sound being noticed by those with the F version (and the fact the next competitor is so close in price) means I'll be dropping for one too soon. Although I do hope you all were not using noise cancelling headsets, etc. I'll hunt you all down and make sure you all get hearing tested afterwards if I hear the fan! ;) :D

Think I'l
Thanks all, the lack of sound being noticed by those with the F version (and the fact the next competitor is so close in price) means I'll be dropping for one too soon. Although I do hope you all were not using noise cancelling headsets, etc. I'll hunt you all down and make sure you all get hearing tested afterwards if I hear the fan! ;) :D

Cheaper than Dell direct using the code?

The slightly frustrating part of turning hdr on and off between games, is that I have watched youtube videos in sdr that turned out to also have a hdr presentation.

Cheaper than Dell direct using the code?
Oh, no no. The nearest competitor I meant there was a monitor I would purchase, which was the Dell U2723QE (I think that's the model number anyway) which is a 4K HDR Monitor and rated quite highly for editors for accurate colours but using IPS Black panel instead of OLED. But that's at £630-£650 odd. Which after the discount code at Dell for the F version, means it's only ~£200 difference.

I wasn't certain if the IPS Black was good enough or not, although it is highly regarded by others, but if the difference is only around £200 that I can jump to QD OLED, I think I'd rather splash a little more for the QD OLED (as I've seen my old IPS vs the LG CX OLED). :)

:: edit ::
OK, I just found a video that showed the IPS Black panel in action (using the LG CX Demo) and.... NOPE. Definitely going with the F then :D

Last edited:
Oh, no no. The nearest competitor I meant there was a monitor I would purchase, which was the Dell U2723QE (I think that's the model number anyway) which is a 4K HDR Monitor and rated quite highly for editors for accurate colours but using IPS Black panel instead of OLED. But that's at £630-£650 odd. Which after the discount code at Dell for the F version, means it's only ~£200 difference.

I wasn't certain if the IPS Black was good enough or not, although it is highly regarded by others, but if the difference is only around £200 that I can jump to QD OLED, I think I'd rather splash a little more for the QD OLED (as I've seen my old IPS vs the LG CX OLED). :)

:: edit ::
OK, I just found a video that showed the IPS Black panel in action (using the LG CX Demo) and.... NOPE. Definitely going with the F then :D

Ah, I see what you mean now haha. Yeah, I currently have a CX55 for the living room and it's made me feel sad every time I go back to my current IPS display. Granted, it's a budget ultrawide. I think the 3-year burn-in warranty puts my mind at ease for use as a PC display.

Back
Top Bottom