World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Once again, still looking for a new monitor and... I think it's down to these new QD-OLEDS for me. I was thinking of grabbing something like the Dell U27QE the IPS Black panel monitor, but the price difference between that and this AW34DWF is barely £200 with the discount code. And whilst it won't have full 4K resolution, I can always just grab a HDMI cable and then plug into the LG CX for that when I need it.

Just concerned about the fans on the AW (when you've silenced everything else, even the slightest sound is going to be noticeable).

Are IPS-Black panels out?

I remember reading about these a while ago; the big benefit for them is they have a native 3000:1 contrast ratio in SDR without any local dimming which is far greater than any previous IPS panels and should mean it looks black when other IPS panels look grey - which also means they have the same contrast as any local dimmed VA panels in SDR. IPS black panels in theory should kill off VA panels from the gaming market and relegate it to the cheapest office monitors only

Last edited:
Are IPS-Black panels out?
The Dell U2723QE is the first one, first available earlier this year. Wasn't much huff and puff about it though until I went looking for what was considered suitable for editors and its name came up (often).

However, as said, with no offers on the U2723QE, and the difference of price to the QD-OLED of the AW3423DWF (with code offer) being only around £200, I don't think the IPS Black is going to be able to compete price for performance wise (of the panel). Especially if I need to do something in 4K, it's just plug into the LG CX and go from there.

The Dell U2723QE is the first one, first available earlier this year. Wasn't much huff and puff about it though until I went looking for what was considered suitable for editors and its name came up (often).

However, as said, with no offers on the U2723QE, and the difference of price to the QD-OLED of the AW3423DWF (with code offer) being only around £200, I don't think the IPS Black is going to be able to compete price for performance wise (of the panel). Especially if I need to do something in 4K, it's just plug into the LG CX and go from there.

Tried a 10% discount code on 3 monitors and doesn't work on any of them. Oh well.

Should you leave Windows HDR mode on? Or should it just be enabled when required? I currently have it enabled and the 'Desktop' HDR profile selected on the monitor.

I just got and set up my AW3423DWF yesterday having returned my AW3423DW a month ago.

I am very much pleased with this model! No dead pixel, subpixel or uniformity issues. No fan noise at all, however there is a bit of coil whine as others have mentioned that is only audible when I place my ear near to the monitor. I have also tested using that opengl program to check for VRR flicker and to my surprise, there is absolutely no flicker when running that test, whereas on my original DW the brightness was flickering on the darker end of the grayscale so I'm a bit shocked by that, I though it'd be worse due to not having native GSYNC module.

All in all a very happy bunny, although I may have gone a bit mad this Christmas with my spending; this monitor, a 4090, 5800x3d/b550 and an s95b :eek:

All in all a very happy bunny, although I may have gone a bit mad this Christmas with my spending; this monitor, a 4090, 5800x3d/b550 and an s95b :eek:

Hah, I've pretty much done the same minus the Samsung TV. Had the 5800x3D since the spring though. Only ordered the AW3423DWF yesterday so it's a post Christmas delivery, will be my first experience of an ultrawide so looking forward to it.

Anyone playing WoW or FFXIV with the DWF monitor a lot? I'm concerned about burn from the UI (i know lots of people are saying burn is ok, just wanted to check).

Anyone playing WoW or FFXIV with the DWF monitor a lot? I'm concerned about burn from the UI (i know lots of people are saying burn is ok, just wanted to check).
Yeah I'm playing WoW. Not concerned, 3 year burn in warranty innit. Plus I run it only at around brightness 39 which substantually reduces the risk. By the time the 3 year warranty is up i'd have got my money's worth anyway, and by then I'd probably be looking to upgrade to the newer panels.

Yeah I'm playing WoW. Not concerned, 3 year burn in warranty innit. Plus I run it only at around brightness 39 which substantually reduces the risk. By the time the 3 year warranty is up i'd have got my money's worth anyway, and by then I'd probably be looking to upgrade to the newer panels.

Fair point. I'll hang on in case of any boxing day sales, but will be pulling the trigger in the new year i think.

I've been playing wow still ever since I got the monitor early this year. The only thing I did was slightly fade parts of my ui while out of combat/at full health like my action bar and portrait. Don't think that changes too much mind you since you're in combat a lot lol. Not seen any burn in yet though.

Hi Guys,

The AW3423DWF arrived today first experience of one these very sexy and super impressed. Should I be changing any settings out of the box?

Do you set HDR in Windows to or let the monitor do its thing?

Thanks

New screen arrived yesterday, luckily a day early due to being away over Christmas. Quick set up and plug in and all is well.

Still have the return waiting for pickup as DPD didn't make the arranged date, Dell have been good at getting this turned round and rearranged the collection for when I'm back.

Will have a few days to enjoy the new screen before back to work in the New Year.

Back
Top Bottom