World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

OK, so I didn't have the right process down initially.

Taskbar is set to Autohide
Theme is set to Dark
No background image on Desktop
200% Scaling
3840x2160
On log into Windows 11, the Taskbar will have a line still visible at the top edge of it (Not ideal for OLED)
Starting up Ryzen Master (or some other apps), leave it alone for a moment (a few minutes)
The Taskbar loses the remaining line (top edge that's visible). Taskbar now no longer visible and will auto-reveal when moving mouse over it or using Windows key on keyboard.

However, I haven't got that locked in 100% to trigger yet, and of course, I've not found what triggers the top edge to become visible again. But Windows 11 does allow a full Taskbar auto hideaway unlike how we experience it right now on first login. Will continue to experiement and see what's doing the funny business there.

I think you're worrying too much . I mean it with full respect and understanding, I mightve done what you're doing in the past, but we have the 3 year no burn warranty, oled phones have persistent icons etc and I've never had burn in on my phone personally and like I say you have the 3 year warranty. Yes do some 'minimising' but I think you are going too far. As I say i have full respect and understanding on it,not raining on your parade.

If I was doing all that it would end up unenjoyable, and a pain.

Last edited:
I think you're worrying too much . I mean it with full respect and understanding, I mightve done what you're doing in the past, but we have the 3 year no burn warranty, oled phones have persistent icons etc and I've never had burn in on my phone personally and like I say you have the 3 year warranty. Yes do some 'minimising' but I think you are going too far. As I say i have full respect and understanding on it,not raining on your parade.

I'm not going to worry too much about burn in either - one of the reasons I was happy to become an earlyish adopter of a QD-OLED monitor was because of Dell's excellent warranty. I am going to take care of the monitor of course, e.g. making sure that the pixels don't become overdue for refresh and for the moment setting a dark wallpaper too, although the display goes to sleep after 5 mins by default under the balanced power plan. Aside from that, I intend to use it normally and if there are any issues at all within the 3yr warranty period - get it changed. I love the QD-OLED and I really miss it when looking at other screens such as my work laptop now!

Last edited:
I'm not going to worry too much about burn in either - one of the reasons I was happy to become an earlyish adopter of a QD-OLED monitor was because of Dell's excellent warranty. I am going to take care of the monitor of course, e.g. making sure that the pixels don't become overdue for refresh and for the moment setting a dark wallpaper too, although the display goes to sleep after 5 mins by default under the balanced power plan. Aside from that, I intend to use it normally and if there are any issues at all within the 3yr warranty period - get it changed. I love the QD-OLED and I really miss it when looking at other screens such as my work laptop now!

The translucentTB works. The pixel is still there but in almost all settings it can be hidden. In transparent it is obviously hidden. In opaque you just set it to black. I like Acrylic though. Interestingly, even on "normal" there is the option to disable the border so the pixel is just the same colour as the colour selection in windows - which is nice.

Last edited:
I don't think this is about burn-in, rather it's just annoying line that Microsoft leave at the bottom of the screen! Once you notice it, you can't unnotice it.
It's a bit of both. Although more desire to want to avoid early burn in unexepectedly, rather than noticing it. As shown in the clips I added, it can actually be fully invisible "default" (fresh installation) from Windows 11 for some reason, yet for some reason it won't want to behave that way all the time. *shrugs*

Yep. The more I use TransclucentTB the more I like it. It's a keeper. It's in the Microsoft Store as well. I like the Acrylic - it's not completely invisible but far less noticeable than the Microsoft grey line.

Last edited:

Whilst the OLED displays on phones haven't had much in ways of observed burn in, I'm fairly certain it's not a good comparison, as the displays on mobiles aren't on for extreme periods of time with the static elements (most would adjust and/auto-off in a short period of time), unlike what a traditional display would be doing if no automatic prevention measures are taken.

Also, the measures you say I took, are indeed measures, but because it's being used on the living room OLED (and not really just my own, also the settings were copied over from another rig in use so my system complied with the same settings). So precautions are needed in that case (as I don't think I can afford a new 55"+ OLED replacement whilst I'm still grabbing parts for my own rig :D GPU and QD-OLED display incoming still).

But, back to the topic, those measures were simply the order of stuff I did to get the Taskbar to totally vanish on its own (no apps needed on a fresh Windows 11 installation). And something I observed, and so wondered why users are grabbing apps to do something that's already there. :p Well, looking further into the steps I used, and why it's still a bit random, I can see why now. :D

So I think you might have misunderstood the reason I listed those steps. :)

As for the 3 year Burn In Warranty, as @jwilliamson47 noted, there's a few unknowns on that front, and if it follows logic and knowledge from other normal OLED units, the issues are more likely to arise after the 3 years unless if you go full tilt on HDR 24/7 with static UI elements to greatly enhance the chance of burn in for the unit before the 3 years is up. Which most users are unlikely to do. But it is a nice protection level, just I'm unsure on how effective and useful it is when care is applied by the owner as well. :-/

Speaking of burn in, Samsung says 2023 panels have double the burn in resistance compared to 2022 QD-OLED panels

This has been achieved through efficiency gains with the blue light sourc, lower power draw and lower voltages. Brightness is also increased by 30% along with the double burn in resistance. Vincent at HDTV has had hands on with the new panel used in a Samsung TV and he measured 2000nits in a 3% window using 10,000k color temp and 1300nits in 3% windows at standard 6500k color temp

2023 panels also have a new anti reflective coating which appears to be much better. So far the only known monitors to be using the new 2023 panels is Samsung's upcoming 49 inch 240hz QD-OLED monitor

Last edited:
Link to Vincent's review if at all p[
Speaking of burn in, Samsung says 2023 panels have double the burn in resistance compared to 2022 QD-OLED panels

This has been achieved through efficiency gains with the blue light sourc, lower power draw and lower voltages. Brightness is also increased by 30% along with the double burn in resistance. Vincent at HDTV has had hands on with the new panel used in a Samsung TV and he measured 2000nits in a 3% window using 10,000k color temp and 1300nits in 3% windows at standard 6500k color temp

2023 panels also have a new anti reflective coating which appears to be much better. So far the only known monitors to be using the new 2023 panels is Samsung's upcoming 49 inch 240hz QD-OLED monitor
Have you a link to Vincent's review please?
EDIT: Never mind I've found it...

Last edited:
Is there any way to get rid of it or hide it?

TranslucentTB can change it to the same colour as the rest of the Taskbar. That at least gives you control over it. You can turn it black for example. You can also turn it transparent or translucent, which I particularly like.

Who actually needs that? I find even 400nits more than bright enough. 1000 and I need to wear sunglasses. 2000 needs welding goggles. I mean it won't be much longer and you will have to wear factor 15 to watch a movie.

Good news for some. I was lucky with that, in that my lounge faces north so it's not the brightest of rooms anyway.

Last edited:
TranslucentTB can change it to the same colour as the rest of the Taskbar. That at least gives you control over it. You can turn it black for example. You can also turn it transparent or translucent, which I particularly like.

Where can I find that app? Thanks

Guess I'll be finding an excuse to file an RMA with dell later this year then to get a 2023 panel :p

Lol. Why not wait for next year. Might be an even better panel then. But I am sure you will have another excuse for another exchange for 2024 :cry:

As tempting as it is, I would only bother if I knew as was keeping the monitor long term and that is not the case for me. I still want a 4K one for the better image quality, so will end up selling this as soon as they release it. If not I will order a new one of these when on offer with bank cashback etc and selling my one probably breaking even in the process and getting a fresh 3 year warranty ;)

Back
Top Bottom