World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Received mine today. The build quality is excellent and even in SDR it stomps my ips ultrawide. Latest firmware was already installed but don't be silly like me and only connect the power/DP as you need the passthrough for firmware updates.

Am I wrong when I turn off hdr in Windows the blacks seem blacker. Does anyone here use different preset modes?

Playing the witcher 3 and cyberpunk with a controller the games feel less choppy than with mouse and keyboard why is that?

I image feels softer but maybe because I was playing 4k before

You should not be having HDR on when not playing HDR games or watching HDR videos. And yes that is normal, blacks will look actual black when HDR is off in Windows, because Windows doesn't do HDR<>SDR well when only SDR content is being displayed.

A controller won't directly link your hand movements with the screen camera in the game so you don't have a perception of how much rendering latency there is in the game's engine (which will be anywhere from say 6ms to maybe even 50ms+ depending on your framerate, GPU, resolution etc. That's why controllers feel "smoother".

I think the controller deadzone also masks some of the input latency so for me at least lower frame rates feel less annoying compared to on mouse. On my LG OLED black is still black with HDR on in Windows, probably depends on the content you are looking at.

Packed my panel up for return today :( Absolutely beautiful but the coin whine in the back of the display was too much for me in the end. Obviously not an issue for headphone users, but my ears refuse to adjust to it. Going back to a standard 16:9 1440p IPS display this morning is gross :D Need to think about what to do next, as I've opted for return and refund rather than replacement for now.

Last edited:
Packed my panel up for return today :( Absolutely beautiful but the coin whine in the back of the display was too much for me in the end. Obviously not an issue for headphone users, but my ears refuse to adjust to it. Going back to a standard 16:9 1440p IPS display this morning is gross :D Need to think about what to do next, as I've opted for return and refund rather than replacement for now.
The coil whine issue on some units has put me off for now as thus is something I am very sensitive to as well.

Give it a few months and maybe the manufacturing process will iron out the kinks and order another? Or maybe the silicon lottery will be kinder second time around?

Might be more options in 2023 too, maybe someone will do a 32" 1440p 16:9 oled screen or a 4k one if you have the graphics hardware to do it justice.

Definitely open to ordering another. I was tempted to spin the wheel on a replacement, but not really in a position to be swapping out displays for the next month hoping for a good one. With Dell's burn in warranty and stance on dead pixels I don't really want to order one from anyone else, but we'll see what the new year holds! Running a 3090 at the minute so something 4k would be an option too.

Wait until there is a sale on the AW3423DW. These seem to have a more predictable (is that the right word?) PSU.

Last edited:
Mine arrived 7 days early, yesterday. This thing is incredible to behold. The colours are great, similar experience to my LG C2, so much better than my LG gl850 I have to say. The sound of any fans on this F model isn't personally noticeable, and I haven't heard any coil whine unless i have my ear to the back of the monitor. Really enjoying the ultrawide in games. Have just discovered flawless ultrawide, a program written by someone to allow one to play games in ultrawide which can play it, but don't have it as an option. Thought it was worth mentioning, as playing Elden Ring in Ultrawide (offline as it EAcheat has to be disasbled) is breathtaking. https://www.thegamer.com/elden-ring-how-to-enable-widescreen-support/#:~:text=The game has earned a,the lack of widescreen support.&text=The developers of the game,have to bear with it. if anyone would like to know how to do it.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RwYJOKwbw4&ab_channel=TrippyTaka is a really great video explaining how to use it also.

Last edited:
I'm afraid mine has some scratches in the corner and some dirty marks. Dell has offered either a replacement or a refund and just needed some photos. Think I'll opt for a replacement but it's a shame mine came scratched with some white marks on.

I was messing about with that Mac type thing. I still can't decide on a perfect option because some look better in dark mode, some look better in light and I really cannot be bothered to switch between them.

Can't really complain though. I like just about everything else about this monitor and it's far above any non OLED panel let's face it.

Last edited:
Is that because the sound of the coil whine is drowned out by the fan on the GSYNC module? :cry:

No, the noisy fan is the same as the one in the other model ;)

Well either can be noisy if you listen hard enough. Turn volume up and pretend they are silent like some on here must do :D

Last edited:
Go for the Samsung version then?

Certainly a viable option! I didn't actually realise their warranty is more or less the same as what Dell offers. Historically I've had great experience with their support so wanted to stick with that. Added bonus having USB-C for easier Mac connection too. That's a problem for future me though, he's 38 in a month, far more mature and capable of deciding what to do :D

Certainly a viable option! I didn't actually realise their warranty is more or less the same as what Dell offers. Historically I've had great experience with their support so wanted to stick with that. Added bonus having USB-C for easier Mac connection too. That's a problem for future me though, he's 38 in a month, far more mature and capable of deciding what to do :D
It's worked quite well for me so far, I think the only downsides are it's more expensive and I'd rather it used full size connectors than micro/mini but at least they're the latest versions so no issues with bandwidth.

It's worked quite well for me so far, I think the only downsides are it's more expensive and I'd rather it used full size connectors than micro/mini but at least they're the latest versions so no issues with bandwidth.
Have you the Samsung QD-OLED and have you published a review yet any chance?

I'm desperate for a new screen but choosing one these days seems like walking into a minefield, coil whine, blurry text, fan noise, burn-in, FALD glow, I really want the G9 Neo purely for the futuristic insanity of it (the width and extreme curve), but after owning an LG oled I also really appreciate how amazing that looks for gaming with pure blacks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom