World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

I'm desperate for a new screen but choosing one these days seems like walking into a minefield, coil whine, blurry text, fan noise, burn-in, FALD glow, I really want the G9 Neo purely for the futuristic insanity of it (the width and extreme curve), but after owning an LG oled I also really appreciate how amazing that looks for gaming with pure blacks.

Burn-in is covered by the warranty at least for 3-years. I still can't decide whether to opt for a refund or replacement. I'm doing web browsing 80% of the time and gaming 20%. Also wouldn't mind watching some sports on it too. Really stuck

Last edited:
I do and I wouldn't know where to begin writing a review that would say anything other than the most superficial of observations.
I understand but can I ask how does your experiences with the Samsung compare to what owners of the Alienware version have stated. Is it good or bad?

I'm desperate for a new screen but choosing one these days seems like walking into a minefield, coil whine, blurry text, fan noise, burn-in, FALD glow, I really want the G9 Neo purely for the futuristic insanity of it (the width and extreme curve), but after owning an LG oled I also really appreciate how amazing that looks for gaming with pure blacks.
thats just what everyone feels included my self. take your time think it over and see if you can demo one

I think it always has been. There has never been such thing as a perfect monitor. Even if you pay £1000+ you don't get perfect. Having said that the AW3423DW(F) is darn close to perfect and I think most of the problems raised with the monitor are just down to the "electronics lottery" or are largely nit-picking. Of course dead pixels, coil whine and stuff like that are a killer, but what you don't hear much of are the many thousands of people who didn't get any of that with their monitor.

To me the one harsh reality is the current lack of ClearType (and others) support for the qd-oled pixel layout that leads to fringed text. I have no doubt there will be Microsoft (and others) updates in the future that will correct that, it's just a question of when. Once that happens I think the qd-oleds will firmly take the position of the closest thing we currently have to a do-all perfect monitor. They are definitely the future.

Last edited:
I think it always has been. There has never been such thing as a perfect monitor. Even if you pay £1000+ you don't get perfect. Having said that the AW3423DW(F) is darn close to perfect and I think most of the problems raised with the monitor are just down to the "electronics lottery" or are largely nit-picking. Of course dead pixels, coil whine and stuff like that are a killer, but what you don't hear much of are the many thousands of people who didn't get any of that with their monitor.

To me the one harsh reality is the current lack of ClearType (and others) support for the qd-oled pixel layout that leads to fringed text. I have no doubt there will be Microsoft (and others) updates in the future that will correct that, it's just a question of when. Once that happens I think the qd-oleds will firmly take the position of the closest thing we currently have to a do-all perfect monitor. They are definitely the future.

That and I want one in 4K and I am golden. Got a little over two years warranty on my g-sync ultimate version and hope before that finishescwe get a 4K version.

I understand but can I ask how does your experiences with the Samsung compare to what owners of the Alienware version have stated. Is it good or bad?
Happy to answer any questions, I've not noticed any of the drawbacks mentioned with the Alienware. No issues with coating, no issues with packaging, there's no fans fitted, I've not noticed any coil whine, can deliver full resolution and frame rate without compromise, I didn't even notice any issues with text (which was my major concern given all the press it gets) but besides a few websites which looked like they lacked anti-aliasing I've had zero issues in that regard and BCTT cleaned up the few places there were any issues.

The bundled stand isn't great, it works fine but is not stable. Full sized video connectors would have been nice but this is a preference rather than a problem. I would have preferred it didn't behave like a Smart TV but some may view this as a benefit if they intend to use it for things other than just as a computer display. I haven't calibrated it but I'm very happy with how it looks in desktop and especially in HDR games. This replaced a LG 38GL950G which means I lost 4" and it's 1600 vs 1440 resolution but otherwise I'm very happy with the change.

It is more expensive than the DWF but I came to really dislike the fan in my old monitor so I would happily pay the extra to avoid fans but that's probably bad advice for anyone not sensitive to minor fan noise. After going through my usual process of overthinking an upgrade I'm of the view it's probably a bad time to buy a new monitor, it looks like there's lots of interesting new screens coming out.

Happy to answer any questions, I've not noticed any of the drawbacks mentioned with the Alienware. No issues with coating, no issues with packaging, there's no fans fitted, I've not noticed any coil whine, can deliver full resolution and frame rate without compromise, I didn't even notice any issues with text (which was my major concern given all the press it gets) but besides a few websites which looked like they lacked anti-aliasing I've had zero issues in that regard and BCTT cleaned up the few places there were any issues.

The bundled stand isn't great, it works fine but is not stable. Full sized video connectors would have been nice but this is a preference rather than a problem. I would have preferred it didn't behave like a Smart TV but some may view this as a benefit if they intend to use it for things other than just as a computer display. I haven't calibrated it but I'm very happy with how it looks in desktop and especially in HDR games. This replaced a LG 38GL950G which means I lost 4" and it's 1600 vs 1440 resolution but otherwise I'm very happy with the change.

It is more expensive than the DWF but I came to really dislike the fan in my old monitor so I would happily pay the extra to avoid fans but that's probably bad advice for anyone not sensitive to minor fan noise. After going through my usual process of overthinking an upgrade I'm of the view it's probably a bad time to buy a new monitor, it looks like there's lots of interesting new screens coming out.
Fantastic, thanks very much for the information as it answers all my queries I have. An order will be happening soon..

Found a free app called RoundedTB, this gets rid of the annoying line when the taskbar is hidden. Unfortunately it doesn't support autohide so I have to press the Windows key to make it show again, anyone else got an alternative?

Found a free app called RoundedTB, this gets rid of the annoying line when the taskbar is hidden. Unfortunately it doesn't support autohide so I have to press the Windows key to make it show again, anyone else got an alternative?

Autohide does work, it's just the line you wanted gone has gone so it's now impossible to hover over it, because it's gone, so you can't get the taskbar back once it's auto-hidden.

It's a nice find. I am not sure you will do better. What you really need is to make those margin pixels transparent rather than just remove them.

Autohide does work, it's just the line you wanted gone has gone so it's now impossible to hover over it, because it's gone, so you can't get the taskbar back once it's auto-hidden.

It's a nice find. I am not sure you will do better. What you really need is to make those margin pixels transparent rather than just remove them.

Funnily enough that same person has an app called transparent TB, but I haven't tried it yet.

If you're in Windows 11, quickly do a Screensaver with Blank on it as a preview. For some reason this hides the remaining visible component of the taskbar when hidden, but it still works as expected. Should help given we're all OLED or about to be OLED users here. Got this working on the LG CX until I can deicde on which monitor to go with, so tempingt all around.

Got that one but problem is I cannot then see the icons in the right as I have a black background.
Gonna try monks method.
Just a quick heads up, I'm looking further into this, and it works very sporadically. I'm currently trying to track it fully the way down, but the bar does fully go away whilst remaining fully functional; so when it works it works as we want. Can upload a vid to show this later. But yeah, it only "semi" works at the moment until I can track down why it pops back up occasioanlly (visible) and then sometimes goes away on its own. :-/

:: edit ::

So you might want to give the other way a try to see how that goes. Really weird how Win 11 just decides it wants to be visible and then not visible. :confused:

Last edited:
What icons do you mean? I use it myself and haven't noticed any problems :p

Sorry wrong terms. The things on the right where you can see more by clicking the arrow. Dunno name like when steam is minimised etc. Like next to the clock. I found with pure black background the arrow was hidden along with time etc so had to hover mouse about to try find.

Last edited:
Sorry wrong terms. The things on the right where you can see more by clicking the arrow. Dunno name like when steam is minimised etc. Like next to the clock. I found with pure black background the arrow was hidden along with time etc so had to hover mouse about to try find.
Aka System Tray

Ah the Systray icons. You using windows 11 maybe as I'm on Win10 still using black background and they seem fine here? I do have the setting to always show icons enabled so there's no arrow though.

cgSxCYg.png

OK, so I didn't have the right process down initially.

Taskbar is set to Autohide
Theme is set to Dark
No background image on Desktop
200% Scaling
3840x2160
On log into Windows 11, the Taskbar will have a line still visible at the top edge of it (Not ideal for OLED)
Starting up Ryzen Master (or some other apps), leave it alone for a moment (a few minutes)
The Taskbar loses the remaining line (top edge that's visible). Taskbar now no longer visible and will auto-reveal when moving mouse over it or using Windows key on keyboard.

However, I haven't got that locked in 100% to trigger yet, and of course, I've not found what triggers the top edge to become visible again. But Windows 11 does allow a full Taskbar auto hideaway unlike how we experience it right now on first login. Will continue to experiement and see what's doing the funny business there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom