World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Annnnd.... It's here. :)

Still setting stuff up for it, but just did a quick check, no stuck pixels, no bright pixels, cursory quick glance looks uniform.... But still old firmware for now, so just need to wait for that new firmware to see this in HDR proper. :)

And of course, many of you were right, this fan is barely audible whilst you're in front of it (it's blocked by the panel itself). Need to get your ear up to the vent to hear it.

Oh, in case anyone was going by auto-pilot whilst setting this monitor up, the supplied Displayport cable does NOT have a release mechanism on it. But it also does NOT have the hooks you usually see on Displayport cables, so removal is akin to HDMI cable removal. Do not get alarmed like I did when I thought I had a monitor and computer stuck together forever... :cry:

But back to the firmware, given everything is going so well for me, I'm hoping fortune continues to smile on me, and Dell gets that (functional) firmware out soon. Then we can all enjoy it and bask in HDR goodness! :D
That's real good mate. I'm really pleased :D
but..no screen marks from how it was packaged up to you? All good in every way yeah? I still haven't ordered one yet. :o

Last edited:
That's real good mate. I'm really pleased :D
but..no screen marks from how it was packaged up to you? All good in every way yeah? I still haven't ordered one yet. :o
Nope, screen was brand spanking new levels of spotless, not even any touch marks on the casing until I touched it. Screen was also protected by a flat soft foam screen with bubble wrap on the outside to tape it to the bezel to keep it protected.

OK, so I've done pretty much every test and everything needed for the F, now only need to wait on the GPU and the new firmware for the F.

For reference for all other members who are getting the F in the coming days, just a few descriptions of what I got so you guys more or less can do a comparison and see if something might be amiss.

1. The monitor box was clean. Like, the printed box exterior was without any form of contamination or freying. So much so it felt like it just came off the conveyor belt. Yours may vary because this is also related to your delivery path, so some may get more marks on their box, but if it's nothing major, I probably wouldn't be worried about it.
2. The box opening is by the handle. There's no complex inserts on this opening that slide into the box at the side of the box at this point yet. It's just held down by two (pristine) transparent tape.
3. From there, the opening can be pulled back with the lid, and this lid (side of the box) has some inserts on the side that slide into the main portion of the box, so it is fairly sturdy and not easy to slip out. No more tape though, so do be careful when opening it just in case you have the box at a bad angle, as it could come down hard (not good). And the side inserts on each edge here are limited, so it's very easy to just be holding onto the lid and everything has sprawled out as there's no a lot of side inserts that slide into another section of the box to hold it together.
4. Check each of the major components, all of mine were brand new and in their own soft packaging. But a quick reminder; that Displayport cable they give you (both DP to DP and USB-C to DP) does NOT have rentention hooks in the plug like normal DP cables. So if you're looking to remove them just treat them like any HDMI cable. They're not stuck together forever. :) So don't panic (like I did :p :D)
5. That stand is made up of two parts, the feet are lightweight, but actual arm portion of the stand is deceptively heavy. Try not to accidentally drop it, especially onto yourself, as that would be bad. For you and the stand. But mostly for you. It's heavy.
6. Once done, this stand just clips onto the back of the monitor. You can then lift the entire monitor panel without touching it through lifting the arm portion of the stand. But again, note that it's heavy(er now with the panel attached). So a strong arm is needed.
7. The front of my panel, had a soft foam screen, and the exterior of this foam screen was also a layer of bubble wrap. There is some transparent "lined" tape that is dotted around this screen and attached to the side bezel of the screen. This tape can be peeled off from the bezel side genetly and mostly remains intact. The screen itself should be intact if removed this way.

If your new unit is nothing remotely close to what I described above, then keep an eye out in case there's signs it's a refurb or a return. And make a return request if anything seems off or clearly off (like dead/bright pixels).

Hope you all get decent ones like I did. :)

My screen arrived this morning and so I set it up for testing… Just to echo everything that @Meddling-Monk said above. It arrived in the same condition the bubble wrap has a foam backing which is against the screen for protection and left no visible marks.

I check for pixel issues using https://testmyscreen.com/ but soo far everything looks fine.

Fired up a ACC briefly (I should be working) :D

I would add to the above 2 posts that the protective cover on the screen is good and does keep it protected, i was unfortunate that the first unit the tape holding this to the back of the screen had come unstuck and then stuck to the screen itself resulting in a very noticeable mark or damage to the screen surface. It was swapped out easily enough and the 2nd unit was perfect. The only real delay was them picking up the old screen but i would say that was more a DPD issue in the days running up to Christmas.

I would say we are past mid Feb now so assume there is some delay with the firmware update.

In the radeon drivers the screen is recognised as freesync premium pro if i have hd true black hdr enabled on the screen.

The only thing i am unable to do is select source tone mapping when connected to my pc, when connected to the ps5 it allows me to change this setting. Only other difference is when connected to PS5 it shows HDR+ on the OSD whereas on the PC it shows FS2

The only thing i am unable to do is select source tone mapping when connected to my pc
It works for me, I did try the HDR True Black work around first then i reverted and tried out Source Tone Mapping, they both look good but i think Source Tone Mapping pips it

Having used the screen for a few hours I'm gutted i didn't get one sooner, its damn impressive.

It works for me, I did try the HDR True Black work around first then i reverted and tried out Source Tone Mapping, they both look good but i think Source Tone Mapping pips it

Having used the screen for a few hours I'm gutted i didn't get one sooner, its damn impressive.
You have an Nvidia card feeding the signal correct? You have the option to enable Source Tone Mapping with that. AMD card owners apprently don't need to, as the signal is already embedded automatically as part of the Freesync deal.

Just received my AW3423DW. Noticed some vertical banding on grey backgrounds and apps like discord. Is this normal? Its bugging me a bit. Otherwise no dead pixels, no fan noise. EDIT: Just noticed a dead pixel right in the middle of the screen. Should I exchange for another one?

Last edited:
Just a reminder, as it might not be something we generally do, but I would go and test other video ports too. Both Displayports and the HDMI port should be used to make sure there's no issues with your monitor. As the last thing you want is to "when you finally need it", discover that one of the other typically non-used ports happen to be faulty. Get it checked early in case there's problems and decide if you need to RMA it or swap it (in case everything else is flawless). The USB ports you can decide if you need checked, but I personally feel the USB is fine to leave alone as most USB from a modern computer is same gen or higher and thus it's not the main sell of the display. But if you do need it, then go check it aswell.

Also, if anyone is using those certified HDMI 2.1 cables that are super stiff and thicker than the usual cables, the likelihood is you'll have trouble connecting to the HDMI port on the F (and likely original DW) due to the HDMI port being closer to the middle with a smaller amount of room for the cable to bend and not cause a break. As the HDMI is only 2.0 anyway, I would grab a non 2.1 cable to use/test instead.

Anyone recommend something to use for cleaning the screen for when that day inevitable arrives?

My Asus screen is mat and I just hit it with soft cloth/tap water and it’s perfect but with this glossy panel I’m a bit reluctant to be as lackadaisical

Got the Samsung version, great monitor. Really like the stand as well, no reason to wall mount which is nice.

Good to have smart tv features built in and a remote, all high end monitors should have these features.

Just received my AW3423DW. Noticed some vertical banding on grey backgrounds and apps like discord. Is this normal? Its bugging me a bit. Otherwise no dead pixels, no fan noise.

Mine had that when I first got it. I ran a panel refresh which took about 45 minutes and I have not had it since.

Might be worth a shot.
I did read from someone else that;that sorted it out.
Got the Samsung version, great monitor. Really like the stand as well, no reason to wall mount which is nice.

Good to have smart tv features built in and a remote, all high end monitors should have these features.
Yeah I saw the Samsung version, there are at least a couple of bugs which were offputting to me, is the ui very laggy??

Last edited:
I did read from someone else that;that sorted it out.

Yeah I saw the Samsung version, there are at least a couple of bugs which were offputting to me, is the ui very laggy??

I wouldn't say the UI was laggy, it does change display modes randomly when using the smart tv functions which can be a little annoying, there is also a power off glitch related to the "turn off display" option under the windows power profile, not ideal but it's easy enough to work around.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom