World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Probably like many others I’m stuck debating over the DW and DWF…

My main gripes with the DWF are the HDR issue & VRR flicker I know Dell might resolve the HDR issue but VRR flicker is the one I’m more concerned about.

I’m guessing anything sub 60 fps will flicker? I’ll be using an Nvidia 3080 with it and googling the DWF VRR problem has people stating a fix is to disable VRR… I find that nuts at this price point.

I like to think it’s not that bad as I’ve not seen many reviewers mention it and £200 is quite the saving.

Last edited:
It should be no different from any consumer electronics and if the quality is sub par in any way then a consumer has every right to reject it. In no way should should the purchase of a monitor be treated in any different way...

I agree. However, when I'm talking about compromise, I'm talking on the fact that I had to get a resolution I didn't want because 4K ultra wide do not exist with OLED currently.

Probably like many others I’m stuck debating over the DW and DWF…

My main gripes with the DWF are the HDR issue & VRR flicker I know Dell might resolve the HDR issue but VRR flicker is the one I’m more concerned about.

I’m guessing anything sub 60 fps will flicker? I’ll be using an Nvidia 3080 with it and googling the DWF VRR problem has people stating a fix is to disable VRR… I find that nuts at this price point.

I like to think it’s not that bad as I’ve not seen many reviewers mention it and £200 is quite the saving.
Vrr flicker will exist on both the DW and DWF, it is inherent to the Oled tech. How much you notice it and it bothers you will depend on a few factors: Eye sensitivity, pc setup (can the setup maintain steady frame pacing), and game type (dark game with a lot of near black).

With vrr enabled, the near black levels raise, when the fps is not maxed at native. The further from native, the bigger the near black raise. Eg 60hz is higher and much more noticeable than 144hz.

The flicker is produced by an erratic framerate. The flicker you see is the near black lowering and raising in real time with the fps. If your pc is struggling with frame pacing due to hardware or game optimisation, and the game is dark, you will see flicker.
Steady fps won't flicker, but if at say 60fps, it will have a permanent raised black that is noticeable, so the issue is still there but not distracting.
This is why some people say 144hz reduces the flicker for them, it is slightly easier for framepacing + slight masking effect because of near black already being slightly raised.

For me, I don't notice it much on the AW and never felt the need to turn off vrr, but I am very aware that my pc is high spec and I don't struggle to keep steady high framerate in games. On my 4k oled, especially with older hardware a few years ago, there were a couple of games I turned off vrr because of flicker - the medium and the ascent. Any other time it was non existent or little enough that it wasn't a big issue.

Edit: I say 100% go for it, you can always send it back. But I'm confident that for most people, the pq is so good that the odd time vrr flicker rears it's head, you will let if off the hook :D

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply @Sc00p007, I’ve settled my nerves about the oled flicker a bit and I know the DW panel seems to handle it slightly better.

Dell currently have a coupon that works to bring the DWF model down to around £850 which is a big draw for me. The main purpose for the screen is going to be sim racing, so it’ll not be used for anything but gaming.

I like to think Dell will resolve the HDR issue on this model as reviews otherwise are really positive

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply @Sc00p007, I’ve settled my nerves about the oled flicker a bit and I know the DW panel seems to handle it slightly better.

Dell currently have a coupon that works to bring the DWF model down to around £850 which is a big draw for me. The main purpose for the screen is going to be sim racing, so it’ll not be used for anything but gaming.

I like to think Dell will resolve the HDR issue on this model as reviews otherwise are really positive

Is the coupon just for you or can you share mate ? I might finally bite on the DW.:)

Last edited:

Whoa, wait, is that coupon still working? (OLEDMON8 or something like that?) Because last I tried it it was expired. Or is it another coupon?

Oh, I see one of the codes still works, despite it apparently suppsoedly to have expirerd. Thanks for bringing this back up. :D

:: edit ::

OK I have officially joined the QD OLED Monitor crew, grabbed the F as I'm feeling lucky/the Force is with me, etc. :D

Last edited:
Whoa, wait, is that coupon still working? (OLEDMON8 or something like that?) Because last I tried it it was expired. Or is it another coupon?

Oh, I see one of the codes still works, despite it apparently suppsoedly to have expirerd. Thanks for bringing this back up. :D

Ok.what code please? :D OLEDMON8 doesn't work mate.

Last edited:

VOUCHERBOX8MON - worked for me just now. £854.69 Delivery expected first week of March

I have an AW3418DW at the moment, connected to a 3080 (Yes 10GB is enough!!!:cry:) and I’ve previously considered this monitor, does anyone have a 3080 and the F version of this and have you had any issues with VRR or G-Sync?

I have an AW3418DW at the moment, connected to a 3080 (Yes 10GB is enough!!!:cry:) and I’ve previously considered this monitor, does anyone have a 3080 and the F version of this and have you had any issues with VRR or G-Sync?
This is the only thing holding me back from buying the DWF, having a 3080 and Nvidia or Dell not stating the DWF is a compatible monitor is a bit disconcerting

This is the only thing holding me back from buying the DWF, having a 3080 and Nvidia or Dell not stating the DWF is a compatible monitor is a bit disconcerting

It is gsync compatible, the only thing is when it goes lower than 60 fps you don't have the gync smoothing whereas with the g-sync version it goes right down to 1 fps from what I've heard.

It is gsync compatible, the only thing is when it goes lower than 60 fps you don't have the gync smoothing whereas with the g-sync version it goes right down to 1 fps from what I've heard.
Thats fine cheers mate, ive just ordered it. voucher code worked great so thank you guys for that, looks like delivery by the 6th March. can't wait :)

Back
Top Bottom