World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

the f version is £812 atm with the voucher. Very nice!!
Yeah, anyone who was expecting a ~800 price tag for a QD OLED, the Dell F is basically that option (currently). That MSI versions guesstimate price of ~800 is waaay off, and will be at least £1350+, with more chance being above £1400 than lower. So if you're after a QD OLED at a decent price point for this generation, the F is it.

Just put the DWF in place. Screen is free of scratches or dead pixels. I did not fiddle with settings yet but by just plugging-in is already decent to read anything, same as the G8.
The grey square when using HDR is algo present here, so, or it is either some fu**ed up **** with the screen, or windows, or AMD driver. It's not any of my background apps as I disabled all. Anyway, for 300GBP less I stick with the DWF for now.
8bit vs 10bit is same thing, I can't notice anything and I also don't need to thinker with cables, going to use my previous DP and that's it.
It's also 165Hz instead of 175Hz and I don't think it would matter anyway.

What I do miss in the G8 is the fact it has speakers, very basic ones but they did the job, plus the remote to go around settings.
I can't notice any coil whine or fan so far.

Not having to turn it off/on after switching the PC on in order to boot is a blessing, or even not having the necessity to reboot the PC after the screens being off for few minutes is also positive.

Visually speaking, no differences.

Just put the DWF in place. Screen is free of scratches or dead pixels. I did not fiddle with settings yet but by just plugging-in is already decent to read anything, same as the G8.
The grey square when using HDR is algo present here, so, or it is either some fu**ed up **** with the screen, or windows, or AMD driver. It's not any of my background apps as I disabled all. Anyway, for 300GBP less I stick with the DWF for now.
8bit vs 10bit is same thing, I can't notice anything and I also don't need to thinker with cables, going to use my previous DP and that's it.
It's also 165Hz instead of 175Hz and I don't think it would matter anyway.

What I do miss in the G8 is the fact it has speakers, very basic ones but they did the job, plus the remote to go around settings.
I can't notice any coil whine or fan so far.

Not having to turn it off/on after switching the PC on in order to boot is a blessing, or even not having the necessity to reboot the PC after the screens being off for few minutes is also positive.

Visually speaking, no differences.

The HDR problem is to do with the monitor's firmware. Dell are looking into the problem,I don't hold much hope for them remedying it personally.

What would be the specific problem with HDR? I've just ran Tarkov, which I mainly played with the G8 and honestly I can't see much difference, and I did not tweak the screen yet. What I can see, yes, is the fact that the G8 has colors more vivid, saturated.

What would be the specific problem with HDR? I've just ran Tarkov, which I mainly played with the G8 and honestly I can't see much difference, and I did not tweak the screen yet. What I can see, yes, is the fact that the G8 has colors more vivid, saturated.

I thought you were upset about a grey square re: HDR. ?

You can increase colour saturation in your g cards settings. :)

Last edited:
The grey square when using HDR is algo present here, so, or it is either some fu**ed up **** with the screen, or windows, or AMD driver.
Hmmm, that would be weird. How exactly are you connected to the monitor? Displayport or HDMI? Also, which version of Windows? As I don't think I've ran into the grey square in the corner yet, even though I've tried some HDR games and auto switching HDR as well.

I thought you were upset about a grey square re: HDR. ?

You can increase colour saturation in your g cards settings. :)
Er, no, @Thomasck has this small square "icon" (well, larger than an Icon) that pops up in their top left corner of the screen when switching to HDR. Not sure on what that's about, originally thought it might have been native to the Samsung from their software design, but now it seems like it might be more unique to something on their exact system setup.

Ah, missed that last bit there. So you're using Displayport.

That would be strange then, it does sound it might be a driver or physical defect somehow on the GPU. As I too am on AMD GPU and connected to the display via Displayport. On Windows 11 though, so don't know if it might be an issue if you're on a different version of Windows or OS.

Just to be on the safe side though, could you try the provided Displayport with the Dell? Just to eliminate the cable as the cause of the issue you've experienced (grey icon box in corner during HDR switch). As I've not noticed that when starting HDR games thus far.

@Meddling-Monk I've tried both ways, minidp and microhdmi. Initially microhamdi would not work, loads of drop-outs, then after it started working, I seems it needed "activation" lol. Windows 10 updated, 21H2 (which is weird, I thought I was on 22h2). Another guy on reddit also has the square, but differently than me he was IN game, I it have when I'm on windows just, or, when I am playing and I bring any window with alt + tab. I believe it's some windows/amd driver ****** up, the guy on reddit did not answer me back with which card he's using.

The square is not that big, is tiny, but I can see clearly, https://imgur.com/gallery/avQJhoc, it looks big because the pic has been zoomed in.

On the alien, the square shows up either way, hdmi or dp.

The only thing I did not try was formatting the pc. I wonder if I should send the g8 back or not, lemme adjust the alienware 1st to see. Initially games are looking better in the g8 by just adjusting things within display's settings. The alienware does not have the same level of color adjustments, or it might have, just in a different way as in different color bands.

@Meddling-Monk I've tried both ways, minidp and microhdmi. Initially microhamdi would not work, loads of drop-outs, then after it started working, I seems it needed "activation" lol. Windows 10 updated, 21H2 (which is weird, I thought I was on 22h2). Another guy on reddit also has the square, but differently than me he was IN game, I it have when I'm on windows just, or, when I am playing and I bring any window with alt + tab. I believe it's some windows/amd driver ****** up, the guy on reddit did not answer me back with which card he's using.

The square is not that big, is tiny, but I can see clearly, https://imgur.com/gallery/avQJhoc, it looks big because the pic has been zoomed in.

On the alien, the square shows up either way, hdmi or dp.

The only thing I did not try was formatting the pc. I wonder if I should send the g8 back or not, lemme adjust the alienware 1st to see. Initially games are looking better in the g8 by just adjusting things within display's settings. The alienware does not have the same level of color adjustments, or it might have, just in a different way as in different color bands.

Well that square is weird! You can adjust the colours in the graphics card's settings. Does the alienware look better now? Mmm..I googled your problem and I couldn't see anything , I'll look later when I have more time mate.

Last edited:
Well that square is weird! You can adjust the colours in the graphics card's settings. Does the alienware look better now? Mmm..I googled your problem and I couldn't see anything , I'll look later when I have more time mate.
Don't really waste your time looking after that, I've been searching about it every night before sleep hoping I'd find someone else with the same issue. Perhaps, it might even be a but due to the fact that I disabled the task bar from the oled and moved it to the secondary screen only.

The thing about changing colors at driver level is that will be applied to everything, that's a advantage of the G8, it would be applied only when with game mode on, however, once I activate game mode on I need to readjust all my windows hwinfo64 graphs etc, which is a pain all the time. I'm really torn in between those two screens. Colors while on Windows it's just fine, I don't need more than that, but in game I'd make use of more vibrant colors. I still did not find the right setting for the Alien, I will keep trying.

I think I'm sticking with the G8... I've tried ICC profiles, HDR settings within the DWF screen, Custom colors, and none of that make the colors pop-up like the G8 does. It also seems the G8 is brighter even with all DWF settings turned up.

As both have the grey square in the mentioned condition, I think I will stick with the G8 due to built in speaker. It's uncertain if the G8 also have burn-in warranty, but still, I think I prefer the G8.

Guys ,is HDR worth it?? The f version can't do it but it's £300 cheaper.

??

Yes it is, at least in the games I play as Tarkov, WZ2. The G8 does wonders to Tarkov, the DWF too but not at the same level, hence the fact that I'm staying with the G8 and returning the DWF. If I did not have the G8 here to compare, undoubtedly I'd stay with DWF as it is selling now for 800-900GBP.

I'm really tempted by the DWF at its current price, but am a bit concerned about the issues with Text blurring and flickering.

The monitor would be used for work (MS Office) as well as gaming.

How are people finding this after a few months of having one now?

I'm really tempted by the DWF at its current price, but am a bit concerned about the issues with Text blurring and flickering.

Really depends how sensitive you are.

I'm getting close to having owned the g-sync version for a year now and I'm still really loving it. I use it for both work and gaming. After adjusting the text with better clear type tuner the text isn't too much of an issue in most cases and I got used to it. As for flickering, I do get g-sync flicker in dark poorly frame paced games but there's not too many that fit that bill. It's also a general issue with OLEDs, like the LG tvs suffer from the same thing too, so the flicker is just something you kinda have to accept it you want an OLED. The upside of OLEDs being the inky blacks, great colours, and fast pixel response time.

Last edited:
I've not even bothered to make any text changes with my Samsung at all. I also use mine for IT work, Office and Teams etc with zero issues in reading any text. I think it's just overstated...

I actively avoid using it for anything office based due to the text clarity, it is purely used for gaming. Have a look at the many reddit threads about it .

Cheers for the responses, i've had a look at the Reddit threads and there are equally mixed views on the issues. I think i'll give it a miss for now until the clarity issues are sorted.

In relation to the flickering, i dont see this on my Sony OLED TV (Its not QD-OLED) with either the PS5 or the PC, so may be its just certain scenarios it happens in?

Back
Top Bottom