World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Yes forum users correct me if I'm wrong but if the game goes below 60fps you don't have the gsync smoothing plus with oleds you get flicker below 60 so combined with the two of those issues then not a good experience at all.
This was a concern for me but running ACC in the menu at 30fps with no flicker to note

I also have an Asus Rog Gsync screen which has been excellent (and I still use) soo this has a lot to live up to but it appears no different in ACC if anything maybe smoother

The AW3423DWF can be had for £812.36 on sale today, which is a decent saving on this model but it asks the question as too why? Good deal?, Is there any issues with them? or is there something new on the horizon (no zero dawns) from Dell?
That such a great offer, around £40 cheaper than it was a couple of weeks back when I got mine

Last edited:
The AW3423DWF can be had for £812.36 on sale today, which is a decent saving on this model but it asks the question as too why? Good deal?, Is there any issues with them? or is there something new on the horizon (no zero dawns) from Dell?
There is a limited time offer of that price,they have a batch they want to get rid of for whatever reason. It seems too good of a deal doesn't it, I still haven't ordered one myself , I'm still looking at the g-sync one.

Last edited:
Lol They can’t sell returns as brand new, returns will be mostly sent to liquidation unless the return is unopened

Speaking of I still have my return, I'm sat here with two screens as they haven't asked for the old one back yet and I haven't reminded them though I really should. I can't even use both at once :D

Last edited:
Shots fired, LG makes surprising claim that Samsungs QD OLED panels are more susceptible to burn in than LG OLEDs

By the way LG doesn't have its own data; it's made this claim and pointed to Rtings for data. That's because Rtings just updated their long term reliability test, we're now at month 2

And after 2 months of displaying frequent rolling static content, the Samsung s95b and Sony a95k both have visible burn in while the LG C2 and LG G2 do not yet have any visible burn in

Here is the results for the Samsung and Sony QD OLED panels - some burn in pattern of a rectangular bar is visible in the bottom of the screen, it's slightly worse on the Samsung than the Sony

And here is the LG C2 and G2

Last edited:
By the way LG doesn't have its own data; it's made this claim and pointed to Rtings for data. That's because Rtings just updated their long term reliability test, we're now at month 2

And after 2 months of displaying frequent rolling static content, the Samsung s95b and Sony a95k both have visible burn in while the LG C2 and LG G2 do not yet have any visible burn in
Hmmm, it might just be my eyes, but I do notice there is a different type of burn starting up on the LG's in the middle of the screen vs the Samsungs. Also, on both LG's there's a very weird round, almost 50p in size dark spot in the top right region of the screen that the Samsung doesn't have according to those screens. I am unsure if that's a manufacture defect, or if that's from screen burn in though.

:: edit ::

Ah-HA! That small circle IS screen burn, it's on the Samsungs too, just not as obvious. I would hazzard a guess that circle was done by a UI element that is of a particular colour, that burns harder on normal OLED and less so on the QD, much like the lower part of the QD is more obvious vs the normal OLED on the LG.

Last edited:
Hmmm, it might just be my eyes, but I do notice there is a different type of burn starting up on the LG's in the middle of the screen vs the Samsungs. Also, on both LG's there's a very weird round, almost 50p in size dark spot in the top right region of the screen that the Samsung doesn't have according to those screens. I am unsure if that's a manufacture defect, or if that's from screen burn in though.

:: edit ::

Ah-HA! That small circle IS screen burn, it's on the Samsungs too, just not as obvious. I would hazzard a guess that circle was done by a UI element that is of a particular colour, that burns harder on normal OLED and less so on the QD, much like the lower part of the QD is more obvious vs the normal OLED on the LG.

Here is some more

Sony a90j oled

A90K oled

LG CX oled

And these are all using LG OLED panels and all show burn in. So LG should be careful when trying to claim their tech is better; all they've proven is that QD-OLED isn't more burn in resistant they're both about even so far in terms of failing to prevent burn in.

These tests are still a little bit unrealistic, but it's still the most realistic testing for burn in anyone has done before. Each month that Rtings tests simulates 600 hours of use on the TV displaying varied content at 100% brightness

Last edited:
And these are all using LG OLED panels and all show burn in. So LG should be careful when trying to claim their tech is better; all they've proven is that QD-OLED isn't more burn in resistant they're both about even so far in terms of failing to prevent burn in.

These tests are still a little bit unrealistic, but it's still the most realistic testing for burn in anyone has done before. Each month that Rtings tests simulates 600 hours of use on the TV displaying varied content at 100% brightness
Yeah, it appears that there's a particular colour range that burns harder on WOLED vs QDOLED and vice versa, neither is particularly immune, just each burns at different rates, so the same for each other as you said.

I tried to have a look at what they are testing on to see what the colours are, as I doubt that it's purely by 100% brightness that's causing particular types of burns. But there doesn't appear to be any sample of what they are testing so I can't tell what's doing a particular type of burn; especially that small round burn in the top right portion of their screens. As it only appears there, and moves with the image, so it's not something holding the panel together to the bezel, else there'll be more than one, and it's not my own screen as it moves with the image when I scroll it - so it must be from the screen they took the image from itself, and that's all of them. The burn in near the middle was probably from text/subtitles popping up, but that round shape I can't figure out, as it's certainly not something I see often on my screens. Connection icon perhaps? As they have said they're using HDMI connections to all and thus it might be something that stays up whilst connected? *shrugs*

Would be bad move to go from a odyssey to the alienware freesync version?
Depends on why you want to move over I guess, if it's from the QDOLED Odyssey G8 to the Dell AW3423DWF, then there's little reason to do so, as both manufacturers offer the same protection. Whilst the Samsung is also silent as it doesn't use a fan for cooling, and also has HDMI 2.1 vs the basic 2.0 on the Dell Alienware. Although there have been reports from users about Samsungs less than steller after service compared to something like from Dell.

So again, it depends on why you'd want to move.

Depends on why you want to move over I guess, if it's from the QDOLED Odyssey G8 to the Dell AW3423DWF, then there's little reason to do so, as both manufacturers offer the same protection. Whilst the Samsung is also silent as it doesn't use a fan for cooling, and also has HDMI 2.1 vs the basic 2.0 on the Dell Alienware. Although there have been reports from users about Samsungs less than steller after service compared to something like from Dell.

So again, it depends on why you'd want to move.
Basically bugs. I've listed some few posts before this one. The latest is after the last fw update whenever I enable HDR a small grey square is displayed in the top left corner. Curious about it is when I change from 21:9 to 16:9 or 4:3 the square follow the screen aspect ratio.

All the smart monitor functions are welcome but useless to me, as in, why I would swap modes in between desktop/apps if I could just open Netflix's site and go from there.

So I'm gathering info about the dell before making the move. Also, isn't the freesync version fanless?

Edit:

It's got 1 fan, instead of 2 of the gsync module

Last edited:
Basically bugs. I've listed some few posts before this one. The latest is after the last fw update whenever I enable HDR a small grey square is displayed in the top left corner. Curious about it is when I change from 21:9 to 16:9 or 4:3 the square follow the screen aspect ratio.
Ah, in that case, I can confirm that the Dell F doesn't have that issue (at least with the latest firmware available so far; there's a new one everyone is expecting that hasn't been released just yet but we don't know if that will introduce any issues yet for obvious reasons).

The fan in the F I've only experienced it spinning up once, and it does become noticeable at that point (but I'm not sure what caused it to spin up actually, will need to see what causes it), but if you have case or GPU fans that are going anything above 700RPM, in most cases they'll be competing with the sound produced. Otherwise, at most - IF you get a good QC monitor, and not a bad one, which can happen as some have shown, but of course with Dell it's easy to swap - then there's a minor amount of fan noise and/or coil whine IF you place your ear right up to the top of the monitor where the vents are (which leads to the fan and internals). Otherwise, as you sit in front of it, you're extremely unlikely to hear it unless if you come from a planet called Krypton.

Back
Top Bottom