World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Cheers for the responses, i've had a look at the Reddit threads and there are equally mixed views on the issues. I think i'll give it a miss for now until the clarity issues are sorted.

In relation to the flickering, i dont see this on my Sony OLED TV (Its not QD-OLED) with either the PS5 or the PC, so may be its just certain scenarios it happens in?
Yeah, it's not all the time. While VRR is active it's only really noticeable on darker images and literally only when frame pacing is very bad where it occurs. If the frame rate is just dropping between a small window like 70-90 or whatever with even frame pacing you wouldn't really notice it as the gamma differences for those refresh rates wouldn't be as apparent. However if say you're at 120 FPS and suddenly there's a big frame time spike then back to the normal frame times then you might notice the gamma change on a dark image which will look like a kind of flicker. I've played a lot of games and I'd say it's only a bother on a few. There's a few exceptions like Lost Ark and WoW where even in bright scenarios you can notice a bit of flicker when interacting with the UI, they're pretty easy to run though so disabling VRR isn't too much of a bother.

It's something to note if you're really sensitive to flicker though, I'd say I'm a bit sensitive, but I can tolerate it with the OLED, the benefits of the panel are just enough to outweigh it. I had a VA before where I had to straight up disable VRR on it because of too much flickering at lower frame rates, it's at least no where near as bad as that. I think if you really don't want to see VRR flicker at all you're kind of stuck with IPS.

There's a few exceptions like Lost Ark and WoW where even in bright scenarios you can notice a bit of flicker when interacting with the UI, they're pretty easy to run though so disabling VRR isn't too much of a bother.
Yes Lost Ark escape menu and occasionally standing in Kalaja Inn after the daily unas... pretty much the only time I notice the flicker

I think I'm sticking with the G8... I've tried ICC profiles, HDR settings within the DWF screen, Custom colors, and none of that make the colors pop-up like the G8 does. It also seems the G8 is brighter even with all DWF settings turned up.

As both have the grey square in the mentioned condition, I think I will stick with the G8 due to built in speaker. It's uncertain if the G8 also have burn-in warranty, but still, I think I prefer the G8.
do you get bugs with the G8 though? I read there's some annoying ones.

I'm not sure what bugs you're referring to but there are no bugs I can see with my G8 at all so far, touchwood. Maybe it's because I know how to set them up as I did my groundwork first. I dunno really but it is a excellent screen for my use and the OS, contrary to reports, is snappy enough on firmware revision 1442.
I use the apps all the time, saves having to turn on my desktop, thereby saving some energy, and many of the streaming content is in glorious HDR10+.

Last edited:
Guys ,is HDR worth it?? The f version can't do it but it's £300 cheaper.

??

Can't do what? The F version has great HDR!
I might add that the F is displaying 10 bit on all resolutions. The confusion over that is that the graphics card can not directly output 10 bit to the display, it's a bandwidth issue, but instead it uses magic to get the data over to the monitor using alternate 8bit frames. What you see is 10 bit, though.

What would be the specific problem with HDR? I've just ran Tarkov, which I mainly played with the G8 and honestly I can't see much difference, and I did not tweak the screen yet. What I can see, yes, is the fact that the G8 has colors more vivid, saturated.

There is something a little bit off with some of the HDR modes and the tone maps. Personally, I don't notice anything at all and I really think that people are making a mountain out of a molehill. I use the HDR Display mode which seems to be HDR400 and works fine. As far as I am concerned it's no big deal, Dell will sort it out and release a new firmware.

do you get bugs with the G8 though? I read there's some annoying ones.
The flashing screen stopped, and the band in the bottom of the screen does not happen anymore, probably fixed in the update 1442. Is pretty much bug free now I believe.

Just the grey square when HDR is on persists. I'm planning to do a fresh win10 install or win11 (to see if there's any difference HDR) but I don't have the time these days. As in game it does not show up and I don't use HDR while on Windows, I'm not in a rush to try this.

But I'm definitely happier with the g8 rather than the dwf.

@SpellowHouse Yeah people complain a bit too much. Gonna install this update now and compare with the g8. The dell is due to collection today, need to rush.

Last edited:
Im trying to choose between the Samsung Odyssey G8 and the Alienware AW3423DW. Reading this thread seems to be pro these two as a good final two? Any strong recommedations either way?

Oh, guys, there is new firmware today.

Alienware AW3423DWF Monitor Firmware Update​

Firmware Update Package (Ver. M3B103) for AW3423DWF monitor. IMPORTANT NOTE: The monitor firmware update will take approximately 5 minutes. Interruptions during the update process such as disconnecting or turning off the monitor or PC will cause damage to your monitor. Read the Firmware Update Instructions/Readme found in the Firmware package before updating your monitor.

Fixes & Enhancements​

1. Fix HDR handling and improve performance (whitewash, overblown)

Alienware AW3423DWF Monitor Firmware Update​

Firmware Update Package (Ver. M3B103) for AW3423DWF monitor. IMPORTANT NOTE: The monitor firmware update will take approximately 5 minutes. Interruptions during the update process such as disconnecting or turning off the monitor or PC will cause damage to your monitor. Read the Firmware Update Instructions/Readme found in the Firmware package before updating your monitor.

Fixes & Enhancements​

1. Fix HDR handling and improve performance (whitewash, overblown)

Well, I have just updated. Finished a few minutes ago. I will go see if I can see any difference. So far everything seems fine.

Oh, there seems to be a new HDR menu option. This adds modes according to the application you are running. Cute. Perhaps now the Dell Display Manager can do the same job as Auto-Actions? That will have to be investigated.

Updated, tried same games as they are a baseline of what to compare, stills, the G8 display better image for me sadly. I would be more than happy in pocketing back these 300 quid.

Updated, tried same games as they are a baseline of what to compare, stills, the G8 display better image for me sadly. I would be more than happy in pocketing back these 300 quid.
Has the G8 had any firmware updates since release ? and how is it updated via the system menu or by usb ?

Im trying to choose between the Samsung Odyssey G8 and the Alienware AW3423DW. Reading this thread seems to be pro these two as a good final two? Any strong recommedations either way?
Totally depends upon your usage, if you just game and would be using it as a desktop monitor then the Dell. If you're like me and want more and will be using the apps then the Samsung. Both are well made but have different stands, one other reason why I chose the Samsung...

Has the G8 had any firmware updates since release ? and how is it updated via the system menu or by usb ?
Yes mine has updated twice OTA via the os menu, the support website was released shortly later. Not tried over usb but I'm assuming it will like their tv's otherwise there would be no point in Samsung releasing a USB version for download.

Last edited:
Yes me too. I'm the same, if the G8 end up being essentially 'bug free' it's very tempting.

I.keep getting to almost buying the dell but something stops me.

I'm sure the dell is good but I love my Samsung fold so makes me draw nearer to that as it's Samsung.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom