World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

@Meddling-Monk not sure if Amazon would be even better than dell in case of replacement. Or should I go with dell?

Samsung replacement is a joke, I mean, that's the way they do stuff but not everyone has another screen to wait two weeks for a replacement.

Last edited:
@Meddling-Monk not sure if Amazon would be even better than dell in case of replacement. Or should I go with dell?

Samsung replacement is a joke, I mean, that's the way they do stuff but no everyone has another screen to wait two weeks for a replacement.

Dell are always excellent with replacements from experience. I'd stick with them.

Samsung are awful. Farm all their repairs to an awful third party.

If Samsung stills uses the same company as before here in the UK I'm doing the right stuff. I'll just ask for a refund, in any case I need to wait anyway.
If you're getting a refund, there's some interesting news for the F, if you go direct with Dell, they currently offering the F at around ~£883, if you use the discount code as well, it brings it down further to around ~£812.

Also, they're fairly good with swaps, returns, etc. So whilst Ama may offer other protections, their price is higher if I'm not mistaken, and the service is largely the same. So unless if you're intending to use some of Ama's more specific customer services afterwards, you probably may do as well going direct with Dell.

If you're getting a refund, there's some interesting news for the F, if you go direct with Dell, they currently offering the F at around ~£883, if you use the discount code as well, it brings it down further to around ~£812.

Also, they're fairly good with swaps, returns, etc. So whilst Ama may offer other protections, their price is higher if I'm not mistaken, and the service is largely the same. So unless if you're intending to use some of Ama's more specific customer services afterwards, you probably may do as well going direct with Dell.
I might go with Amazon, just because I maxed out P&P Credit these days and I don't really want to wait two weeks for Samsung to refund me. Amazon should be pretty fine, they were always good with expensive stuff.

EDIT

Samsung used to use (not sure anymore) RepairTech Ltd, which I had two very bad experiences waiting two months to fix two different screens, one Samsung, another one Hansspree. Which in the end of the day I just asked them to send me back without fixing it. At that time, the reviews here just awful. Now they have a bunch of good ones, not sure if they are fake or not.

EDIT 2

Or I might just wait for the MSI, but.. No info around, probably same screen?

Last edited:
Or I might just wait for the MSI, but.. No info around, probably same screen?
I, personally, would avoid that particular monitor to be honest.

1. That light bar is terrible. And positioned in a spot and facing that is aimed towards the desk (if not slightly towards you; the user). The issue is reflection, so if you're not using a dark felt type of mat on top of the desk to absorb the light, it will reflect back towards you and can cause observational differences on what you are looking at on screen. Not an issue for games, but if you do anything remotely colour accurate, totally the worst thing possible. Ideas floated include switching it off (but the price in order to do that! blegh! :(), or taping it up with dark electrical tape (but who wants to do that on a new expensive piece like a QD OLED?).

2. Secondly would be price (again). If you're OK with this, and the light isn't an issue, then by all means, it's an option.

I would also divert your attention to that Philips Evina or something like that as an alternative as well. As it appears to carry the same tech as the Samsung and MSI.

Personally, I was sitting on the fence for the other monitors (MSI, Samsung, and the surprising turn up of the Philips), but in the end went with the Dell. As I couldn't justify the price of £300+ difference between the Dell F and the Philips, or even more for the Samsung or MSI) between them for fanless, or HDMI 2.1 vs 2.0 when it can't do 4k anyway. But again, it may suit your needs and in which case, the option to go for anyway. :)

Thanks for the insight about the MSI.
I believe Dell would do just fine even if I need a replacement, I shall be able to the a replacement if necessary straight from Dell even if I buy from Amazon.
I'm going with Dell from Amazon. I've been in the Samsung's chat for an hour now trying to send it back, once I have the timing for the collection I will close the deal with Amazon. Samsung, never again, sadly.

I didn't realise Samsung outsources to a third party. No wonder I keep hearing about poor after service! :eek:

I stopeed seeing Samsung as premium since buying an electric oven and kept breaking. They just wanted to keep getting an engineer out to fix the same problem over and over until warranty ended. You had to go through loops to get them to come down. In the end I had to get in touch with the retailer and get a full refund.

They just seem to be going downhill the last 5 years with only their mobile and TV division doing alright.

Last edited:
Dell are always excellent with replacements from experience. I'd stick with them.

Samsung are awful. Farm all their repairs to an awful third party.
Dell are not always excellent, maybe in your experience there are but I can assure you they can be less than perfect. I've had to use Dell's support on many a occasion as a IT Technician and their support, when contacted by phone, is based in another country, speak in a heavy accent and work from a crib sheet..

Last edited:
Basically bugs. I've listed some few posts before this one. The latest is after the last fw update whenever I enable HDR a small grey square is displayed in the top left corner. Curious about it is when I change from 21:9 to 16:9 or 4:3 the square follow the screen aspect ratio.

All the smart monitor functions are welcome but useless to me, as in, why I would swap modes in between desktop/apps if I could just open Netflix's site and go from there.

So I'm gathering info about the dell before making the move. Also, isn't the freesync version fanless?

Edit:

It's got 1 fan, instead of 2 of the gsync module
That's fine, that's why we have a choice. However you've completely missed the point about the apps....

Ignoring VFM for a moment, would a 4090 pair well with this monitor, or would it be overkill? I'm currently on a 5900X CPU. My next GPU will need to last me at least two years, possibly three, hence considering the 4090 rather than something lower down either stack (AMD or Nvidia).

Last edited:
Ignoring VFM for a moment, would a 4090 pair well with this monitor, or would it be overkill? I'm currently on a 5900X CPU. My next GPU will need to last me at least two years, possibly three, hence considering the 4090 rather than something lower down either stack (AMD or Nvidia).
A 4090 would pair well and you could then get nearer to it's max frame rate which is 165 and it would last the longest.

Last edited:

4090 really shines at 4K, i have two screens one 4k 120hz one 3840x 600 175hz Ultra wide and i feel like the 4090 was being held back on the ultrawide.

But if you want what is currently the best go for it.

The AW3423DWF can be had for £812.36 on sale today, which is a decent saving on this model but it asks the question as too why? Good deal?, Is there any issues with them? or is there something new on the horizon (no zero dawns) from Dell?
Good deal.
Dell do this all the time. They are forever having sales.

Back
Top Bottom