World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Last of Us is the first game where I am regularly seeing VRR flicker, it's sometimes distracting but I can ignore it mostly as it only happens in certain scene like where there's dimly shaded areas of foliage like shown below:

If I turn Gsync off in NVCPL then obviously it's gone, but then no Gsync... Can't wait for the day that VRR flicker on OLED is a thing of the past!

The funny thing is in the truly dark areas of the game like at night or in sewers etc, VRR flicker is not there, it's only on these foliage type scenes. Perhaps it's a technical engine issue too amplifying VRR flicker, as not all games have this, Resident Evil 4 Remake was perfectly fine, in fact it seems it is fine when the framerate is consistently high, so above 90fps - This makes sense as I can't use DLSS in Last of us currently due to the crashing issues so am waiting for the patch, then can get back into it with DLSS and have high fps again with no obvious VRR flicker.

VRR flickers only occurs with near black colors present on screen. In r doesn't happen if you have actual black like a dark scene, it happens with near black in dim scenes. I've seen this flicker in many many games, almost every game I've played in the last year had at least one area in the map where it's dark enough to flicker. My eyes are very sensitive to flicker so I easily notice it.

The only way to stop the flicker is to disable VRR or turn up the gamma, turn up brightness, turn up black level so it makes all the dark parts of the screen brighter.

Last edited:
I get some flickering, i had some after a pixel refresh in the windows desktop and had to restart the monitor which sorted it out:/

I also have got some on gta v.

On the LG C2 42 this is the only game I have seen this VRR flicker in, think there are random momentary frame dips that are big enough to trigger it. Though I have only seen in actual dark areas and not while stood still so maybe it's not the same thing?

VRR flickers only occurs with near black colors present on screen. In r doesn't happen if you have actual black like a dark scene, it happens with near black in dim scenes. I've seen this flicker in many many games, almost every game I've played in the last year had at least one area in the map where it's dark enough to flicker. My eyes are very sensitive to flicker so I easily notice it.

The only way to stop the flicker is to disable VRR or turn up the gamma, turn up brightness, turn up black level so it makes all the dark parts of the screen brighter.
Yep I know I've sene it before in some games but only more recently has it been more apparent as I've been playing horror games and games that feature a lot of darkness. The solutions I've tried are exactly those, and none of them are what I want to do anyway so just tolerate it in the scenes it does happen in. I might play with the game's brightness controls where available though and see what value reduces VRR flicker the most.

One thing I have noticed is that the higher the framerate in the game the better controlled VRR flicker is, it's less obvious and nearly unnoticeable when you're at 100fps+, if it's even there at all. Like in Last of Us now if I fps cap to below 100, then I can see it more clearly, whereas at 100+, it's almost gone. It's because of the VRR range and oled combo, the ramping up and down when the framerate is not constant is the cause, if the game is always runnign at a fixed 120fps, then the issue goes away.

Maybe it's time to get a 4080 after all and just brute force the flicker away :p

While I'm not 100% sure perhaps the flicker occurs over an entire single frame and then it would make sense that the higher your framerate is, the lower your frametime is and therefore in absolute terms when a flicker occurs it occurs for a lower duration - for example at 60fps maybe the flicker lasts for 16ms and at 120fps it lasts for 8ms and and at 240fps the flicker is on screen for 4ms. Maybe?

The other thing that seems to affect it is a framerate stability, so of the framerate is up and down jumping around then it seems to induce flicker more frequently

Yeah it does make sense, at 90fps the frametime is low enough that it doesn't seem to be too much of an issue, a stable 120fps at all times would be the ideal situation as each frame isn't on screen long enough to be of an issue for the VRR as it just stays at the same refresh rate at all times. Seems we have come to a point where even monitors need GPU hardware to brute force their way through technical limitations lol.

Thing is for me Last of us has a super flat frametime, there is the random traversal hitch here and there but it's on screen for just a frame so isn't there long enough to be an issue. The framerate however is up and down, it can be 90fps one moment, then you turn to look at a tree and it drops to 70 for seemingly no reason. the fps dips in this game are on the list of issues the dev is working to fix though but worth pointing out that framerate variances do seem to impact it.

Last edited:
Just an observation I made (quite literally) since all the displays in this thread are curved; After you've used a curved screen for a while, when you look back at a similarly large viewscreen that is flat (so say the 34" AW3423DWF and then moving in front of the LG CX 55" for example), the flat screen TV will actually start to appear a little "warped", like it's buldging out in the middle. There's nothing wrong with the TV or the flat display, it's just your brain compensating the curves from the curved screen onto other similar looking objects as well, and thus it's a trick your own brain is playing on you. It'll pass after a while, there's no need to get a meter stick/spirit level, etc after panicking a little to check the TV like I did. :p :D

Just an observation I made (quite literally) since all the displays in this thread are curved; After you've used a curved screen for a while, when you look back at a similarly large viewscreen that is flat (so say the 34" AW3423DWF and then moving in front of the LG CX 55" for example), the flat screen TV will actually start to appear a little "warped", like it's buldging out in the middle. There's nothing wrong with the TV or the flat display, it's just your brain compensating the curves from the curved screen onto other similar looking objects as well, and thus it's a trick your own brain is playing on you. It'll pass after a while, there's no need to get a meter stick/spirit level, etc after panicking a little to check the TV like I did. :p :D

I commented on this in the LG thread but I experienced the convex illusion before I had a curved screen. I think it was because of the proximity to my eyes.

I commented on this in the LG thread but I experienced the convex illusion before I had a curved screen. I think it was because of the proximity to my eyes.
Yeah, once the screen fills a similar level to each other in your eyes (so as you said, proximity) it triggers something in your brain I think. In any even, putting it here anyway so others know about it and not to get alarmed all of a sudden. :D

Last edited:
Because of the illusion, when sat smack in the middle of the 1800R curve, the curve is essentially invisible because of the way our eye FOV works, the sides of the QD-OLED are similarly spaced from our peripheral vision to the centre of the screen, whereas when you then look at a large flat display, the sides of the display look further out, more convex of sorts. Sounds about right for how our brains translate what the eyes see.

1800R is the perfect curvature too, anything more and it would just be too much curve and not feel right.

Last edited:
Yeah it does make sense, at 90fps the frametime is low enough that it doesn't seem to be too much of an issue, a stable 120fps at all times would be the ideal situation as each frame isn't on screen long enough to be of an issue for the VRR as it just stays at the same refresh rate at all times. Seems we have come to a point where even monitors need GPU hardware to brute force their way through technical limitations lol.

Thing is for me Last of us has a super flat frametime, there is the random traversal hitch here and there but it's on screen for just a frame so isn't there long enough to be an issue. The framerate however is up and down, it can be 90fps one moment, then you turn to look at a tree and it drops to 70 for seemingly no reason. the fps dips in this game are on the list of issues the dev is working to fix though but worth pointing out that framerate variances do seem to impact it.

Maybe the drops are too short for the graph to pick up or could be something wrong with my system specifically. But if I enable the OSD thing on the C2 (green button 7 times) then I can see occasional jump from 100ish to 60 ish hz even though RTSS FPS overlay doesnt catch those dips. I'll mess about with the frame time graph....

Yeah RTSS polling is 1000ms for the fps refresh and 500ms for the averaging metrics, whilst the OSD fps display is realtime with no latency involved so that would make sense.

Because of the illusion, when sat smack in the middle of the 1800R curve, the curve is essentially invisible because of the way our eye FOV works, the sides of the QD-OLED are similarly spaced from our peripheral vision to the centre of the screen, whereas when you then look at a large flat display, the sides of the display look further out, more convex of sorts. Sounds about right for how our brains translate what the eyes see.

1800R is the perfect curvature too, anything more and it would just be too much curve and not feel right.
This is my first curved display. I agree, 1800R feels just right.

Reactions: mrk
42 brightness, 66 contrast. 75 is too bright. 42 sits around just over 100cd/m2 which is in the range recognised as an ideal brightness for normally lit office conditions. Keep in mind a higher brightness on OLED will wear out the pixels faster as they are organic.

I'm in the market for a new GPU (4080 or 7900XTX) and I was wondering, are both of the OLED Alienware monitors compatible with both cards? Is there a better match for either GPU?

42 brightness, 66 contrast. 75 is too bright. 42 sits around just over 100cd/m2 which is in the range recognised as an ideal brightness for normally lit office conditions. Keep in mind a higher brightness on OLED will wear out the pixels faster as they are organic.
I tried brightness of 42 and it looks too dim for me. Lowest I was able to go was 67%..

Initially 42 or lower will seem dim, because your eyes have been so used to bright screens, but after a few days anything more will feel too bright.

Ultimately brightness doesn't matter for colour accuracy or HDR anyway, in HDR mode the content controls the brightness and you are locked out anyway, this is purely for preference and the conditions you are in when using the display.

Back
Top Bottom