World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Aye, just noticed them too. Only, the're (Philips Evina and the MSI) now overpriced items.

Dell at £920 odd.
Samsung at £999 here at OCUK.
Philips Evina at £1149
MSI, is it available for purchase yet? But last pricing point put it at 1400-1500Euros, or approximately £1300 (unsure if VAT added yet), the highest of the four.

Between the immediately available ones, the Dell and Samsung are now truly fighting it out. And I would say at £999, the Samsung is the clear winner here (barring the obvious untested 1+ year burn in replacement, because it's not been out more than a few months at best). The Dell had the advantage from the warranty (which has been tested from it's predecessor the DW), and a cheaper price. But that cheaper price now is cut down by the price of the Samsung, now only £70 more. HDMI 2.1 connections (although via mini) and totally passive instead of requiring a fan. The Philips Evina is a non factor because looking at it, it's a white covered version of the Dell basically from what I can see. And the price is now above the Samsung, and the sole reason you would have gone for it instead of the Samsung. So the Philips Evina should not even be in contention for purchase for anyone whilst these prices hold.

I'll be honest. If I was purchasing the display "now" instead of before (although obviously the discount code used before reduced the Dell down to around £860 so a bit more saved), I would actually still go ahead with purchasing the Samsung here despite the (for me) £140 price difference. For simply being passive cooling and having HDMI 2.1 more than the Dell. (However, I purchased mine when the Samsung was £1300 and the Dell at £860, so that was near £440 saved, a much more noticeable difference where passive and HDMI 2.1 could not make up that price difference)
Fair enough . Re the cooling on the Dell, I can hardly hear it ! So unless you want complete silence but even then it's a very low hum , then go for the Dell imo.
I think the questionable burn-in warranty and being outsourced are the no-go reasons for Samsung as historically these qd-oleds are getting burn-in and/or is untested territory.

Last edited:
Fair enough . Re the cooling on the Dell, I can hardly hear it ! So unless you want complete silence but even then it's a very low hum , then go for the Dell imo.
I think the questionable burn-in warranty and being outsourced are the no-go reasons for Samsung as historically these qd-oleds are getting burn-in and/or is untested territory.
Agree. The Dell (F version) I have in front of me can not be heard (when I'm in front of it) when the fan is not on (don't display a HUGE white window for a long period of time people! :p) and can only hear the most minute amount of coil whine IF I place my keen ear by the vents at the top of the monitor (AT NIGHT). So it's fantastically quiet if you get one that had decent QC during construction (although every so often, one or two bad ones do come up).

And yeah, the warranty for the Samsung would be potentially be the biggest hurdle due to them not being explicit about it being there and what it covers. This could all be avoided if they just flat out said, it works like the Dell one. But leaving it in the dark means a user is taking a bit of a punt with the Samsung. At the original price of £1300, that punt is NOT worth it when the Dell could have been got at £900 or less (at the time). However, at only (officially, without a discount) a difference of £70, I believe it's definitely worthy of taking a punt over. But much like what's been mentioned above (and so many other times in this thread and in other OLED threads), users MUST get on board with all the methods of making the OLED last; any Warranty is just there to help make sure issues are taken care of during that time, and since it only lasts 3 years, it should not be taken for granted as a cruch for not implementing the best methods and practices to keep it going as best as possible. (Like looking after your teeth I suppose; sure Dentistry can replace and whatnot, but if you can look after, the original is better; especially if it was flawless in the first place)

Personally I'm not in the slightest bit worried, Samsung don't mention screen burn with their tv warranties either, yet they've replaced the small number of tv's with which it has occurred and despite the owners admitting that they did not take any precautions. I also know for a fact that Sony don't cover this either https://smart-home-sounds.helpscout...Image Retention,caused only by consumer usage and as I understand neither do Panasonic
It's also a fact that up until recently neither did LG. All a storm in a teacup...

Anyone purchased the AW3423DWF recently from Dell have an issue where you cannot register the device to your Dell account for warranty you just get "Support Services: Issue with Support Services"?

Do you have to register for warranty? I would have thought it's fully covered and identified via the Dell service tag?

I've had my DWF for almost a month. Came next day directly from Dell perfectly boxed/wrapped not a scratch on it and no dead pixels. There WAS a slight coil whine from day 1 but with the RGB lighting all off it seems to have disappeared and I'm sensitive to sounds.

My thoughts:

Huge huge upgrade from a 17" TFT Dell E17 from 2006 I've been using since 2014. Before that I had a U3011 which I sold in 2013. I've had a Samsung Galaxy S10e which uses an AMOLED screen so I had experience using OLED but this is my first UW also. Loaded up AVATAR 21:9 trailer on YouTube and felt like I was at the cinema. I never really appreciated wallpapers or digital artwork but it's something I did have an interest in when I was younger and we all used CRTs. The blacks and colours are very nice to look at and I've finally started a wallpaper collection again.

It's weird running a finger along the screen and not seeing the pixels deform from the backlight.

Using 3 windows is great, 2 smaller ones either side and a bigger primary. Using messenger on the right and my foobar2000 on the left. I once had a U3011 PLP setup and whilst this isn't as good for productivity it's still usable for 3 screens and way better than having 3 monitors hooked up with all their cables and power compsumption. I don't need to run browser in a full window either, nice to see some wallpaper.

I've hidden the taskbar and I keep the brightness lower when not consuming content. With the brightness lower it's easy on my eyes, I'm not getting dry eye fatigue like with the U3011 I remember.

I've not been able to test 165hz as I'm running it off of a T440s so I can choose either 3440 x 1440 at 60 or 1920 x 1080 at 144hz. Tested the 144 and it's a very noticeably smoother using the mouse and dragging windows. I tried some UT2004 but my laptop can't drive the game over 65fps but wow that game looks great with the blacks once you adjust the contrast/gamma/brightness settings in the game. The LAVA maps look menacing with the red/orange/black magma it really looks threatening.

The text fringing I can notice as I'm short sighted -3.8 so I sit very close to the screen. I hated it the first week but I've gotten used to it and I've also increased the DPI scaling to 125% along with the screens sharpness settting in the OSD to 60% which helps massively. I wouldn't trade perfect text for those blacks and smoothness.

I would definitely be careful with the glass edges of this screen, it's so thin I could probably crush it if I squeezed it hard.

I was having a conversation today with a friend about the slave labour / mineral mines in Africa, he said they are paid half a dollar a month to extract the precious metals needed for our electronic devices. That coupled with the fact OLED dies/burns makes these monitors more of a consumable/disposable product which doesn't sit right with me paying this much money to throw it away so soon. Maybe I'm wrong here, would like to know what others think on the environmental impact of these.

Last edited:
Do you have to register for warranty? I would have thought it's fully covered and identified via the Dell service tag?

That's what I thought but they didn't automatically added the monitor to the devices in my Dell account and when I manually added it using the service tag number it comes up as having no warranty, so I'm currently trying to get Dell support to sort it.

That's what I thought but they didn't automatically added the monitor to the devices in my Dell account and when I manually added it using the service tag number it comes up as having no warranty, so I'm currently trying to get Dell support to sort it.

I'll try too. I have had my monitor since Dec. It's been flawless though, so happy with it :)

EDIT: Just signed into my Dell account and the monitor is already there, registered automatically on purchase.

Last edited:
I guess I should wait until after the Easter sale then to sell my monitor. I've noticed they go for quite a lot on eBay but I really don't want to use that because I have the risk of getting scammed.
Mind you I'm going to sell it for so little. I'm not sure the Easter sale would make a difference. Especially considering the warranty is transferable.

Last edited:
Think I'll use my CX instead due to the higher resolution, although I was tempted when this was around £700ish with codes.

Exactly what I'm doing but with C2. It's a great monitor but ultimately if I have a top-end GPU, I don't want to be playing at a middling resolution. And yes, I am someone who feels it is a big difference in fidelity.

Exactly what I'm doing but with C2. It's a great monitor but ultimately if I have a top-end GPU, I don't want to be playing at a middling resolution. And yes, I am someone who feels it is a big difference in fidelity.
I was so tempted to get the C2, but frankly even 42" is just too big for a regular desk as I got a multi-monitor setup. Just really hoping they bring out a 34" 16:9 version and that would be an instabuy

I was so tempted to get the C2, but frankly even 42" is just too big for a regular desk as I got a multi-monitor setup. Just really hoping they bring out a 34" 16:9 version and that would be an instabuy

Agree, but look how long we've had to wait already just for what we've got. I might not even be alive when that happens!

Agree, but look how long we've had to wait already just for what we've got. I might not even be alive when that happens!

got that right

Only glimmer of hope I got is that now with OLED tech getting much more common, there are more advances in the tech with different companies getting involved so even if it isnt a LG OLED, there's a chance we can see a company use QD-OLED to release smaller screen sizes

Agree. The Dell (F version) I have in front of me can not be heard (when I'm in front of it) when the fan is not on (don't display a HUGE white window for a long period of time people! :p) and can only hear the most minute amount of coil whine IF I place my keen ear by the vents at the top of the monitor (AT NIGHT). So it's fantastically quiet if you get one that had decent QC during construction (although every so often, one or two bad ones do come up).

And yeah, the warranty for the Samsung would be potentially be the biggest hurdle due to them not being explicit about it being there and what it covers. This could all be avoided if they just flat out said, it works like the Dell one. But leaving it in the dark means a user is taking a bit of a punt with the Samsung. At the original price of £1300, that punt is NOT worth it when the Dell could have been got at £900 or less (at the time). However, at only (officially, without a discount) a difference of £70, I believe it's definitely worthy of taking a punt over. But much like what's been mentioned above (and so many other times in this thread and in other OLED threads), users MUST get on board with all the methods of making the OLED last; any Warranty is just there to help make sure issues are taken care of during that time, and since it only lasts 3 years, it should not be taken for granted as a cruch for not implementing the best methods and practices to keep it going as best as possible. (Like looking after your teeth I suppose; sure Dentistry can replace and whatnot, but if you can look after, the original is better; especially if it was flawless in the first place)

I was struggling between the Samsung at full price and the Dell, but picked the Dell and I love it so I'm going to be biased and say get the Dell. Main reason I have no problems , no fan noise(ie my clock in my room is louder!) and no QA problems + the guaranteed warranty with burn-in. :)
I had read the Samsung has a laggy interface and seen it direct - something that put me off and QA issues with them too - but I'm sure there will be Samsung owners biased with theirs.
I admit I am now biased. :)

Last edited:
Last of Us is the first game where I am regularly seeing VRR flicker, it's sometimes distracting but I can ignore it mostly as it only happens in certain scene like where there's dimly shaded areas of foliage like shown below:

If I turn Gsync off in NVCPL then obviously it's gone, but then no Gsync... Can't wait for the day that VRR flicker on OLED is a thing of the past!

The funny thing is in the truly dark areas of the game like at night or in sewers etc, VRR flicker is not there, it's only on these foliage type scenes. Perhaps it's a technical engine issue too amplifying VRR flicker, as not all games have this, Resident Evil 4 Remake was perfectly fine, in fact it seems it is fine when the framerate is consistently high, so above 90fps - This makes sense as I can't use DLSS in Last of us currently due to the crashing issues so am waiting for the patch, then can get back into it with DLSS and have high fps again with no obvious VRR flicker.

Last of Us is the first game where I am regularly seeing VRR flicker, it's sometimes distracting but I can ignore it mostly as it only happens in certain scene like where there's dimly shaded areas of foliage like shown below:

If I turn Gsync off in NVCPL then obviously it's gone, but then no Gsync... Can't wait for the day that VRR flicker on OLED is a thing of the past!

The funny thing is in the truly dark areas of the game like at night or in sewers etc, VRR flicker is not there, it's only on these foliage type scenes. Perhaps it's a technical engine issue too amplifying VRR flicker, as not all games have this, Resident Evil 4 Remake was perfectly fine, in fact it seems it is fine when the framerate is consistently high, so above 90fps - This makes sense as I can't use DLSS in Last of us currently due to the crashing issues so am waiting for the patch, then can get back into it with DLSS and have high fps again with no obvious VRR flicker.

I get some flickering, i had some after a pixel refresh in the windows desktop and had to restart the monitor which sorted it out:/

I also have got some on gta v.

Last edited:

On the LG C2 42 this is the only game I have seen this VRR flicker in, think there are random momentary frame dips that are big enough to trigger it. Though I have only seen in actual dark areas and not while stood still so maybe it's not the same thing?

Back
Top Bottom