World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

I'm still on Windows 10
Initially 42 or lower will seem dim, because your eyes have been so used to bright screens, but after a few days anything more will feel too bright.

Ultimately brightness doesn't matter for colour accuracy or HDR anyway, in HDR mode the content controls the brightness and you are locked out anyway, this is purely for preference and the conditions you are in when using the display.
You are right, I am very used to bright screens. When I lowered brightness to 42, I felt like I couldn't appreciate the details in the picture, even the Windows desktop looked bland and washed out. I will try to lower it at 60% and use it for a few days, see if my eyes adjusts to it.

I'm still on Windows 10

You are right, I am very used to bright screens. When I lowered brightness to 42, I felt like I couldn't appreciate the details in the picture, even the Windows desktop looked bland and washed out. I will try to lower it at 60% and use it for a few days, see if my eyes adjusts to it.

Your eyes do. I remember years ago I had problems with my eyes for a few months and during that time I lowered the brightness of the monitor. When I bought a new monitor I was shocked at just how low I had turned the old one, yet I never noticed until I saw a normal monitor next to it.

This is my first true HDR display, need some advice for HDR. I'm still on Windows 10, I know Windows 11 is superior for HDR, will upgrade to that once I get my new CPU/mobo later this month. Can I still test HDR games properly on Windows 10? Anyone got any Windows 10 HDR settings they recommend?

I commented on this in the LG thread but I experienced the convex illusion before I had a curved screen. I think it was because of the proximity to my eyes.

I remember moving from a 19" goldfish bowl Gateway CRT to a 19" LG CRT 'Flatron' which was supposed to be completly flat - it looked concave though - and all my mates said the same too! They hated it, the only other flat options back then were the Sony Triniton CRTs and I couldn't stand them... apparently you don't notice the tension wires after a while :)

I'm using 25 brightness now and have been since earlier today, its taken a few hours to get used to from my previous 42 brightness (66 contrast). Now though it feels just fine, no issues with anything and games are all good too.

I'm using 25 brightness now and have been since earlier today, its taken a few hours to get used to from my previous 42 brightness (66 contrast). Now though it feels just fine, no issues with anything and games are all good too.

Now turn it down to 0 and let us know how it goes :D

Are any Radeon users here with the AW3423DWF ? How was the experience? I am watching hardware unboxed videos, but I can't stop thinking to myself, would the average joe gamer notice these drawbacks? I keep pulling back on buying becuaee I feel like something better is just around the corner displayport 2 etc but that is obviously something always better is coming.

Are any Radeon users here with the AW3423DWF ? How was the experience? I am watching hardware unboxed videos, but I can't stop thinking to myself, would the average joe gamer notice these drawbacks? I keep pulling back on buying becuaee I feel like something better is just around the corner displayport 2 etc but that is obviously something always better is coming.
AMD Radeon 7900 XTX user with the F here (formerly AMD Radeon RX580 8GB), use it here for photo/video editing, checking, and gaming. And in all areas, if no one told me, I'd probably wouldn't notice the 1000nit issue directly when used with HDR (I did have some raised eyebrow moment when I first switched to it, but could never quite put my finger on what was wrong as it was my first such device). Otherwise, all areas besides that (which I can't test here properly anyway since I don't have that expensive gear to check - I myself just use Creator mode and HDR400 True Black) and everything looks OK to me so far.

One thing to take into account, the F display is 3440x1440, so basically +50% on the X axis of a 1440 display. We're unlikely to get a QD-OLED panel out at the moment that's going to be any higher resolution that's also UW aswell for the immediate future (not in this price category certainly, although there is that announcement about the next gen of this panel recently, but it wasn't an upgrade from what was posted near as I can tell, more of a minor revision and not an evolution or upgrade). And Displayport 2 is not really going to offer you more than what the display can do with Displayport 1.4(whatever) or HDMI 2.0 as the limitation is on the panel itself then. So when you factor that into account, you can probably rest easy that grabbing it now, it wouldn't be outdated any time soon.

I tried 42 and yeah actually seems fine.

Unrelated but I wish more games did what FC5 did in that it enables HDR on the monitor when you launch the game.

Quite a few do, Capcom games for example do! But you can use that Automations tool that does just this too by simply adding the game and any time you launch the game, Windows will switch to HDR mode then back after.

Quite a few do, Capcom games for example do! But you can use that Automations tool that does just this too by simply adding the game and any time you launch the game, Windows will switch to HDR mode then back after.
Hey mrk do you have a link to this tool ?

For all its launch issues, The Last of Us is actually a really good demonstration of HDR on this display at Peak 1000. Very bright in the right areas, and those dark unlit areas are pitch black but still have some contact bounce detail from light finding its way onto some areas from around the far scene ahead:

1W4iQbW.jpg

My replacement screen arrived today, brand new sealed box.

I've checked over the screen multiple times using the built in diagnostic tool and checked the screen over for any marks on the glass. Nothing to report!
Pretty much spot on, as you would expect from a new screen

Just have to box the old one up now and get it ready to return to Dell

I have noticed i have a large micro scratch in the middle of the screen that is vertical..not sure to send back as it's in the 30 day returns..but I don't notice it unless I shine a torch at it...
What would you guys do? I know I am the one to make the decision..everything good apart from that but bugs me now. I only looked cos i was cleaning it....

:/?

Last edited:
I have noticed i have a large micro scratch in the middle of the screen that is vertical..not sure to send back as it's in the 30 day returns..but I don't notice it unless I shine a torch at it...
What would you guys do? I know I am the one to make the decision..everything good apart from that but bugs me now. I only looked cos i was cleaning it....

:/?
I done this on my new screen to make sure it was all good. When I was doing it I thought I’m maybe being a bit too anal but hey ho lol

The old screen only had 1 stuck pixel and as it was new I didn’t see the point in accepting it.

Everyone is different though, we all have opinions and it’s down to yourself if you can live with it

It seems both LG and Samsung are super happy with the sales of their OLED monitors and panels and are planning a wide range of new models to fill out the market and many of them pack super impressive specs.

TFT central have leaked Samsung and LG new panels, all of these panels are set to go into production by the end of 2024 so it will be 2 years before you see a monitor for sale with the more extreme panels below and more the milder speced panels you can see them later this year.

First up is a refresh of Samsung currently only QD OLED panel they make. The Alienware and others using the 3440x1440 panel can expect a bump up to 240hz with a new panel refresh coming this year. Samsung is also going to bring out a 2560x1440p 27 inch 240hz option to compete with LG.

For 2024 Samsung is going to bring out some big boy toys: 27inch 1440p with 360hz, 32 inch 4K with 240hz and 27inch 4k with 240hz.

LG is going to bring out new ultra wides at 35, 39 and 45 inches with 240hz refresh rate. In 2024 LG is going to also bring out a 32 inch 4K monitor that can output both 4k 240hz and 1080p 480hz. They also planning a 27inch 4k 240hz and a 27inch 1440p 480hz (most of these are in production at the end of next year). There is also brightness target increase with 2024 panels targeting 1300nits peaks and 275nits at 100% white screen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom