World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

I just leave it off in windows and let the game I play manage HDR.

I don’t use the monitor for watching HDR content in windows and all my games can switch it on independently, from what I’ve seen.
you could leave it on , if you calibrate the HDR it seems to be the right brightness but you have no control over the brightness just contrast through the Dell ui so I turn it off once i'm not watching/playing hdr content.

if you want to change the brightness as i say no control through the dell ui with HDR on.

Last edited:
you could leave it on , if you calibrate the HDR it seems to be the right brightness but you have no control over the brightness just contrast through the Dell ui so it turn it off once i'm not watching/playing hdr content.

if you want to change the brightness as i say no control through the dell ui with HDR on.
No need for it to be on in windows for me really, if I’m surfing the web at night I’d prefer to have brightness control as well

What colour setting do we all use on the DWF? Srgb or dci p3? Also do we use the dell monitor profile?

Use whatever you want

But for me I find dcip3 over saturates colors in sdr and it's tiring on my eyes so I also use srgb. Srgb doesn't look too good either though, because the Dell color profile sucks - just delete the file and let windows do its thing and then SRGB looks great. When you engage hdr the monitor wil go into dcip3 and you can't change this and that's fine, dcip3 when in hdr looks great and it doesn't over saturate like it does in sdr

So the profile you can download from dell just don't use it and delete it if you already installed it?

Windows installs it by itself anyway; there is something wrong with it - it makes the color red look like orange in SRGB and as soon as you remove the Dell profile from the windows color settings red looks red instead of orange. You can also run the windows HDR calibration app, this will make windows use your custom color profile in sdr and hdr and windows will stop using the Dell profile and this also fixes the issue with Srgb colors so either option works

Last edited:
The Dell profile is geared for wide gamut not srgb, that's why it's all messed up. I have yet to see a monitor that has an OEM colour profile for Windows that is accurate. Just don't use them, remove them if a driver or whatever installs them. The only profile you should have is a HDR calibration profile created by the Windows HDR Calibration Tool. This is only used in HDR mode, and when in HDR mode you are locked out of srgb/creator etc anyway as HDR is controlling the output.

Only be in HDR mode when playing HDR games or watching HDR media, all other times have HDR off in Windows, and for the most accurate srgb output, be in creator mode, srgb, gamma 2.4 (with regards to the DW, don't know what the gamma curve is like on the DWF when set to 2.2 standard), the DW looks the most natural at 2.4 as tested by HDTV test and when I used the i1DisplayPro back when I first got the DW.
You can also run the windows HDR calibration app, this will make windows use your custom color profile in sdr
This is not accurate, windows will only use the HDR profile when in HDR mode, in srgb mode no profile is used, which is what it should be. If a profile is being used, then the user has installed one, or left the Dell factory profile enabled which will mess up SDR colours.

frlJrNS.png

^ The profile is only active when in HDR mode.

Last edited:
Use whatever you want

But for me I find dcip3 over saturates colors in sdr and it's tiring on my eyes so I also use srgb. Srgb doesn't look too good either though, because the Dell color profile sucks - just delete the file and let windows do its thing and then SRGB looks great. When you engage hdr the monitor wil go into dcip3 and you can't change this and that's fine, dcip3 when in hdr looks great and it doesn't over saturate like it does in sdr

I agree with this, I have stated in here I thought SRGB looked horribly dull/weird but didn't understand about the profile thing. Really what I want is a halfway house between the two modes because whilst I like more saturation than the srgb mode, DCIP3 is a bit headache inducing. I could probably just select it then delve into NVIDIA CP and fiddle about.

Also as above, I notice the HDR profile has a different category in colour management in that it says in brackets (advanced colour)

Last edited:
It seems both LG and Samsung are super happy with the sales of their OLED monitors and panels and are planning a wide range of new models to fill out the market and many of them pack super impressive specs.
I wonder how expensive consult they needed to tell that lots of users would want to get back contrast, response times and viewing angles lost in CRT to LCD move...
Let's hope that engineers have been pushing development forward to mitigate OLED's weakspots for desktop use, instead of panels being just cut down TV panels/tech without refinement.

In 2024 LG is going to also bring out a 32 inch 4K monitor that can output both 4k 240hz and 1080p 480hz.
3840x2160 needs handling four times the data per frame than 1920x1080, so input signal processing wise there shouldn't be any issues in that.
But 1920x1080 in 32" is going to be rough.
Anyway 240Hz would be plenty.

Remember the loud bang CRTs used to make when you'd turn them on? Scared the **** out of me first time I heard it!

I suddenly remembered about degaussing. Not sure if it also made a noise when you did that.

For me the noises mention was from old CRT TV's. Would hear it randomly in the room when the TV was off as kid and would be like wtf... :cry:

Back
Top Bottom