World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

I still won't use HDR in a game if I'm not done with screenshotting yet :p

One day Microsoft will update Windows to handle HDR like MacOS does, and we will be over that faffy situation for good.

Last edited:
Weird thing with hogwarts, was in Slytherin common room in HDR mode, the underwater windows really blue. Took a screenshot, HDR off/exit game, use that program you showed me to open the HDR version of the screenshot (taken with gamebar) colour has totally changed, I have to UNCHECK HDR tonemapping for it to resemble what I saw in game (and use the slider). But it never looks the same.

Opposite doesn't work as in I open the normal jpg and apply HDR tonemapping.

Last edited:
Mine shows same as Nexus, still active.

How many replacements you had mrk? Was it 3? Cannot remember. It's possible it may have something to do with having replacements.

So what's the general consensus on this monitor then regarding build quality, Reliability etc... ?
seems
the dells have many QA issues many people with 2+ returns
the samsungs have host of firmware issues samsung is trying to patch (volume increasing on its own/ banding/lines)
the msi no one wants to touch, ugly & firmware issues

i kind of want the samsung OR the LG 45 but both are hard to get hold off soon, all long deliveries

seems
the dells have many QA issues many people with 2+ returns
the samsungs have host of firmware issues samsung is trying to patch (volume increasing on its own/ banding/lines)
the msi no one wants to touch, ugly & firmware issues

i kind of want the samsung OR the LG 45 but both are hard to get hold off soon, all long deliveries

I don't know. All we hear about on the forum is the people who have bad experiences. I am not sure we can base much on that. I mean look at the reviews on the forest. The reviews are much better than most monitors.

I'm sorry but banding with the Samsung? The panel has the best reputation for uniformity and definitely better than any woled one. Also there are zero firmware issues with the monitor I've experienced...

First panel from Dell I got had a single dead pixel that I discovered after a few weeks of owning, Dell replaced it with a brand new order.

Even if you are unlucky to get a sub par panel, if you buy from a decent manufacturer that offers that level of service then I don’t see the issue.

The company must have confidence in the product to do that for a single pixel issue and offer a 3 year burn in warranty

before i buy i research lot of different areas, here, reddit ultrawide group, manufacturer sites, bunch other tech forums like linustechtips.

dont know why your angry, just saying what i'm seeeing, all monitors have issues but alienware/samsuing issues are very common.

Last edited:
First panel from Dell I got had a single dead pixel that I discovered after a few weeks of owning, Dell replaced it with a brand new order.

Even if you are unlucky to get a sub par panel, if you buy from a decent manufacturer that offers that level of service then I don’t see the issue.

The company must have confidence in the product to do that for a single pixel issue and offer a 3 year burn in warranty
agree, but thats not the point QA should be less than <3% returns it seems like dell are much higher than that 3%. sure its new tech so it be slighty higher but when you see masses of users going through 2+ monitors to get a good one then QA is clearly failing. i love dell monitors but so far QA is not good on these even if support is execellent

why waste £800 on a paper weight for a week or two?
sure all parts have QA issues but seems lot higher on QD-OLED right now

before i buy i research lot of different areas, here, reddit ultrawide group, manufacturer sites, bunch other tech forums like linustechtips.

dont know why your angry, just saying what i'm seeeing, all monitors have issues but alienware/samsuing issues are very common.
Because it is untrue...
I view reddit toxic at best and to be ignored. I've spent hours and hours on different audio visual forums, with contributors from owners, reviewers and calibrators, researching the qd-oled technology before I purchased. There are thousands of the televisions and possibly even monitors, that have been sold and I don't recall any more than a handful with any panel issues. It is publicly understood that qd-oled panels have a far better uniformity than any oled or woled versions.

I would not consider firmware issues being any greater than any other monitors and certainly not common. The screen going black, which I haven't experienced once, is probably down to individual setups, not waking from sleep as well is easily resolved. If you'd looked through this thread then it has already been answered.

I have also never once experienced any sound issues, even with it's original firmware and the first thing I do is ensure, as any should, that adaptive setting are turned off, if it is that causing this.
You must remember that Samsung tend outsell their competitors 2 to 1, thus any issues can be skewed. Add to that it is only those who have any problems who tend to post to forums.

Last edited:
Because it is untrue...
I view reddit toxic at best and to be ignored. I've spent hours and hours on different audio visual forums, with contributors from owners, reviewers and calibrators, researching the qd-oled technology before I purchased. There are thousands of the televisions and possibly even monitors, that have been sold and I don't recall any more than a handful with any panel issues. It is publicly understood that qd-oled panels have a far better uniformity than any oled or woled versions.

I would not consider firmware issues being any greater than any other monitors and certainly not common. The screen going black, which I haven't experienced once, is probably down to individual setups, not waking from sleep as well is easily resolved. If you'd looked through this thread then it has already been answered.

I have also never once experienced any sound issues, even with it's original firmware and the first thing I do is ensure, as any should, that adaptive setting are turned off, if it is that causing this.
You must remember that Samsung tend outsell their competitors 2 to 1, thus any issues can be skewed. Add to that it is only those who have any problems who tend to post to forums.
Untrue? lol
I got my sources from many different forms,

the black screen issue has been agreed by NVIDIA as an issue & are working on a patch that affects only G8 OLED. (possibly due to Mini version implementation)
the rainbow banding has been fixed by many by altering crt due to incorrect EDID values, that's not a fix but a workaround

agree on sales, AND
yes you will get the worst on the forums. however if you reverse your thinking and say everyone not posting on the forum is fine, only forum goers are having issues, then this is still a lot of reports on various sites & youtube channels having issues with samsung firmware.

a good 50% of reviews on the G8
  • mention about volume bug
  • moan about sleep issues

will they fix it?, yes eventually. but you cannot say just because YOU dont have firmware issues their are not Firmware issues. Samsung Korea have announced at end of April their will large firmware updating addressing many firmware issues reported. Nvidia are patching the G8 black screen issue.
so yes samsung have firmware issues,
Is that acceptable no? - lot of these would been picked up if QA on the firmware was done correctly

should i tell someone Samsung is good & dandy when Many issues have been reported by users? no, ill tell them what i found & they can do their research and see if that's an issue for them, im not wasting £1200 of forum members money for them to be unhappy & be my fault because i told them its fine.
it all comes down to every QD-OLED has had firmware issues to some degree so far

Alienware with DWF 1000 nits
Samsung with sleep issues, volume bug, Black screen
MSi Update has bricked 5 monitors so far

All could have been resolved by few more weeks QA testing not saying W-OLED is any better, W-OLED could be as bad, but not found many reports of issues. but for example the LG 45 has had stock issues.

It feels to me QD-OLED monitors were rushed by a few weeks/months hence they issues have popped up.

So the black screen is a NV issue, not Samsungs, as you are admitting. However, at the end of the day, if you don't wish to purchase a Samsung then that's entirely up to you, but your agenda is flawed.

You are accusing Samsung of 'rushing' qd-oled onto the market, well it's taken LG 13 years of oled's and they've still not got it right if the most recent reviews of the G3 are to be believed.

But it is only since samsung arrived have they bothered to get off their butt's and make real 'improvements' their products, other than tweaks. Thus Samsung should actually be congratulated to bringing real competition to the market and make for more choice.

There is no such thing as a totally bugfree firmware either.

So the black screen is a NV issue, not Samsungs, as you are admitting. However, at the end of the day, if you don't wish to purchase a Samsung then that's entirely up to you, but your agenda is flawed.

You are accusing Samsung of 'rushing' qd-oled onto the market, well it's taken LG 13 years of oled's and they've still not got it right if the most recent reviews of the G3 are to be believed.

But it is only since samsung arrived have they bothered to get off their butt's and make real 'improvements' their products, other than tweaks. Thus Samsung should actually be congratulated to bringing real competition to the market and make for more choice.

yes Nvidia said its an issue but only on Samsung G8, (could be bad Samsung firmware causing said issue, or could be Nvidia) we will never know for sure unless publicly disclosed. nvidia could be just putting in a workaround. we will most likely never know. it can be said samsung/nvidia are working on the issue. my guess is its around mini-dp/hdmi but thats only 1 of the issues i wrote above

I'm not accusing Samsung I'm clearly stating an opinion on my findings of many hours of research. and research shows every QD-OLED are having quite a few reports of firmware issues
I'm personally looking to purchase 2 UW monitors (QD/W-OLED) to replace my LG OLED TV. i'm not brand loyal, ill buy whatever i feel seems the best fit for me, to me it seems you just protecting your purchase choice, that's fine
but what it comes down to is all manufacturers (including LG) need need to up their QA processes.
yes firmware will never be bug free, but the fact that these are so obvious issues (HDR on Alienware, sleep issues, volume issues on Samsung) they should have been picked up in testing, to many manufacturers release first & fix later, (as do games and many other industries) we as customers should not stand for it.
to add I have been a certified software tester for hardware products for over 20 years, as well as being a certified Devops/sysops engineer for the last 15 years.
we as customers should not need weekly firmware updates to fix issues that should be working at launch.

I have noticed a pattern in your posting here and the GPU forum whenever someone raises an issue with something you happen to own with "well I've never had a problem...(always multiple full stops to suggest it's absurd)" oh that's ok then, it doesn't exist for anyone else.

With respect you have me at a disadvantage as unfortunately you will have to refresh my memory as I cannot remember ever posting in the gpu forum. If it was then it must have been several years ago...
My manner in posting has always been with several full stops and is just a habit of mine. I do this in whatever forum I post in and you are reading far too much into it...

Last edited:
yes Nvidia said its an issue but only on Samsung G8, (could be bad Samsung firmware causing said issue, or could be Nvidia) we will never know for sure unless publicly disclosed. nvidia could be just putting in a workaround. we will most likely never know. it can be said samsung/nvidia are working on the issue. my guess is its around mini-dp/hdmi but thats only 1 of the issues i wrote above

I'm not accusing Samsung I'm clearly stating an opinion on my findings of many hours of research. and research shows every QD-OLED are having quite a few reports of firmware issues
I'm personally looking to purchase 2 UW monitors (QD/W-OLED) to replace my LG OLED TV. i'm not brand loyal, ill buy whatever i feel seems the best fit for me, to me it seems you just protecting your purchase choice, that's fine
but what it comes down to is all manufacturers (including LG) need need to up their QA processes.
yes firmware will never be bug free, but the fact that these are so obvious issues (HDR on Alienware, sleep issues, volume issues on Samsung) they should have been picked up in testing, to many manufacturers release first & fix later, (as do games and many other industries) we as customers should not stand for it.
to add I have been a certified software tester for hardware products for over 20 years, as well as being a certified Devops/sysops engineer for the last 15 years.
we as customers should not need weekly firmware updates to fix issues that should be working at launch.
Well then the black screen cause is then just guesswork and with nothing really scientific to back it up. It could be that NV and Samsung both worked together on fix. Yes you are clearly stating an opinion, but based upon my hundreds of hours of research into QD-OLED's I also am and fully entitled to mine as well. Or am I not?
I am not brand loyal either as I currently own both LG and Samsung TV's and Sony's in the past.
Nothing these days appears to have firmware without issues, you should at least know that with your background. For example the latest review of the G3 is suggesting major cec issues and Digital Vision modes that crush the blacks...

Last edited:
At cute, sure every software has bugs, crushed black is pretty major but no matter how measure, does not have loss of function like some of the other issues (wont wake from sleep) or picture loss

so currently my plan is to carry on using my LG CX 48" until Gen2 is released, which is coming in the form of the G9 + and others to follow soon.
Currently running my CX in UW mode, 3840x1600 So in no rush whilst id love to get a smaller screen & extend upwards, in no rush so ill use this for now...

Last edited:
has anyone tried cleaning there awf yet, i got mine yesterday, and this morning i noticed a greasy hand print in corner so tried to clean the screen and wow i cannot get rid of the marks now, the whole screen has like a grey haze all over it, and im using a proper glass cleaning cloth that i clean all my other screens with ok, but this one just seams to smear terrible.

Back
Top Bottom