World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

has anyone tried cleaning there awf yet, i got mine yesterday, and this morning i noticed a greasy hand print in corner so tried to clean the screen and wow i cannot get rid of the marks now, the whole screen has like a grey haze all over it, and im using a proper glass cleaning cloth that i clean all my other screens with ok, but this one just seams to smear terrible.
I had this with both my screens, just lightly wipe it with a slightly damp micro fibre and dry it with one. The mark will still be there but after a short while I think a few hours it starts to clear then it’s gone.

No idea why it’s like that, I guess it’s the coating on it? It does go away though

Last edited:
I had this with both my screens, just lightly wipe it with a slightly damp micro fibre and dry it with one. The mark will still be there but after a short while I think a few hours it starts to clear then it’s gone.

No idea why it’s like that, I guess it’s the coating on it? It does go away though
id suggest its heat, have the same on LG CX wipe somthing, after a while it goes away, nornally faster with bit of HDR use :P

At cute, sure every software has bugs, crushed black is pretty major but no matter how measure, does not have loss of function like some of the other issues (wont wake from sleep) or picture loss

so currently my plan is to carry on using my LG CX 48" until Gen2 is released, which is coming in the form of the G9 + and others to follow soon.
Currently running my CX in UW mode, 3840x1600 So in no rush whilst id love to get a smaller screen & extend upwards, in no rush so ill use this for now...
So nice you've called me cute ;)

Last edited:
Just a bit of a story for everyone here... Woke up the other morning to find my monitor had been on all night on the login screen for my work laptop.

Normally it powers off but for some reason it decided it would just sit there. Boy did I panic, there's some pretty bright elements on the login screen like the date and time so I was sure there was going to be some really bad burn in after about 8 hours.

Thankfully there was little to no burn in... Where the date and time were displayed there was nothing, I could see nothing at all there. There were some blocky patterns around the top right and maybe some really faint visible patterns elsewhere. There was nothing you would be able to see on anything but a solid grey background though.

Either way I did a pixel refresh and then a panel refresh and there is nothing visible any more at all.

I think one of the contributing factors of it not being too bad is that my work profile is not set to HDR and I have it down at about 37% brightness. Very comfortable at that level especially with all the legacy non dark mode apps in use.

Question for you all though... There is definitely something up with my monitor... It never gives me the message to do a pixel refresh after 4 hours, I think it is a bug in the firmware that once you switch it off it never turns back on again, I tried toggling it off and on, powercycling the monitor but the message is just never shows.

It still does the pixel refresh when I switch it off or it goes into standby, I can see the green light flashing (after 4 hrs of use).

I've not looked through this thread extensively... Can we update firmware on the monitor? When I googled the only answers I got was Alienware support threads saying that it was not possible.

I am reluctant to bother with a replacement as they might send me a refurb that is worse, some people complain of fan noise etc...

Thanks for reading, have a deep black day!

Just a bit of a story for everyone here... Woke up the other morning to find my monitor had been on all night on the login screen for my work laptop.

Normally it powers off but for some reason it decided it would just sit there. Boy did I panic, there's some pretty bright elements on the login screen like the date and time so I was sure there was going to be some really bad burn in after about 8 hours.

Thankfully there was little to no burn in... Where the date and time were displayed there was nothing, I could see nothing at all there. There were some blocky patterns around the top right and maybe some really faint visible patterns elsewhere. There was nothing you would be able to see on anything but a solid grey background though.

Either way I did a pixel refresh and then a panel refresh and there is nothing visible any more at all.

I think one of the contributing factors of it not being too bad is that my work profile is not set to HDR and I have it down at about 37% brightness. Very comfortable at that level especially with all the legacy non dark mode apps in use.

Question for you all though... There is definitely something up with my monitor... It never gives me the message to do a pixel refresh after 4 hours, I think it is a bug in the firmware that once you switch it off it never turns back on again, I tried toggling it off and on, powercycling the monitor but the message is just never shows.

It still does the pixel refresh when I switch it off or it goes into standby, I can see the green light flashing (after 4 hrs of use).

I've not looked through this thread extensively... Can we update firmware on the monitor? When I googled the only answers I got was Alienware support threads saying that it was not possible.

I am reluctant to bother with a replacement as they might send me a refurb that is worse, some people complain of fan noise etc...

Thanks for reading, have a deep black day!

Yes if you have the DWF the firmware can be updated.

Just make sure the monitor in connected via the USB lead to the PC so it can see the firmware update file.

It never gives me the message to do a pixel refresh after 4 hours, I think it is a bug in the firmware that once you switch it off it never turns back on again, I tried toggling it off and on, powercycling the monitor but the message is just never shows.

Neither does mine because I disabled the message. It's a setting.
You'll still get the pixel refreshes when the display goes into standby, you just won't be nagged about them while you're using the monitor

Thanks for reading, have a deep black day
The on-screen display menu can enable and disable the pixel refresh warning. From the on-screen display, select Others. Select OLED Panel Maintenance. Select Auto Warning Message and this didn't work?

There's an option to factory restore the monitor. have you tried that?
:)

Last edited:
The on-screen display menu can enable and disable the pixel refresh warning. From the on-screen display, select Others. Select OLED Panel Maintenance. Select Auto Warning Message and this didn't work?

There's an option to factory restore the monitor. have you tried that?
:)
I tried switching it of and on again a few times but no dice. I didn't realise there was a factory reset, that has brought the message back.

I power mine off manually every night to safeguard against this. It also does the pixel refresh immediately when I turn it off, and ends up with the power light being off rather than a bright blinking white light which tends to keep me awake (no space, so office is in bedroom)

I can’t think of anything more annoying while gaming to have that pixel refresh reminder box pop up. I was glad to see the option to disable it…

luckily it's only 5min of process, but I can feel you, because in my case it pops up couple times during my mid game in CS.

Isn't that the one that only happens once after a thousand or so hours?
yeah, it's actually executed it twice for me now, but I had to manually execute it the 2nd time to stop the popup coming every so often. Clicking cancel didn't make it run when the monitor switched off, it just carried on doing the pixel refresh instead
Edit: panel being where is glows red/orange instead of green/yellow and takes 1hr to run (forgive colours here, protanopia :D)

Last edited:
Seen on the dell website this monitor is under £900 on offer. I currently have a 27 inch 1440p 165hz monitor which is fine but I keep hearing great things about the Dell. It’ll be my first ultra wide and I play mainly fps games and racing games on my nvidia 3080.

Should I or shouldn’t I :)

Forgot to say that it says it has fresync support but not g sync? My current monitor is g sync so will I miss this?

Last edited:
Seen on the dell website this monitor is under £900 on offer. I currently have a 27 inch 1440p 165hz monitor which is fine but I keep hearing great things about the Dell. It’ll be my first ultra wide and I play mainly fps games and racing games on my nvidia 3080.

Forgot to say that it says it has fresync support but not g sync? My current monitor is g sync so will I miss this?

Yes you should :D
I think the G-sync version has been discontinued.
The Freesync version is still good, not as good (imo) because of some HDR issues, but still very good

I definitely wouldn't be able to go back to a regular monitor after owning this one.

I have the dell monitor and an Asus 27” rog screen with gsync. I’ve not noticed any difference in the VRR tech using a 3080.

Gsync is better for low frame rates but I generally don’t want to game with rates that low, so there’s that :)

Also as Hardware Unboxed said in their latest review of it, using an Nvidia card the monitor gives a similar HDR experience as the DW with enabling a setting on the screen, worth checking out.

Last edited:
Thanks for putting my mind at rest. I will measure my desk when I get in to see if it fits and order it tonight. My girlfriend doesn’t think it will fit but I’m sure I can squeeze it in. :eek:

Is there a downside to ordering it from another large website other than from Dell? Dell estimates delivery next week and the other website says delivery this Thursday. Would I still get the same warranty and burn in protection?

Last edited:
I was thinking of getting the Samsung G8 later this year to go with my 4090 in currently using a 55 inch LG CX which is glorious but I can't sit at desk obviously. So looking around Christmas time. Unless anything better coming along?

Back
Top Bottom