World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Really tempted by the DW version since i have a nvidia gpu but if the 38" is due anytime soon i might just wait it out?

Can you still get the DW version? I don't see it on dell.co.uk.

Has anyone been able to compare the Alienware with the Samsung Odyssey G8? The Samsung is a lot more expensive than the DWF. Monitors Unboxed seemed quite enamoured with the DW but did mention the big price difference.

Can you still get the DW version? I don't see it on dell.co.uk.

Has anyone been able to compare the Alienware with the Samsung Odyssey G8? The Samsung is a lot more expensive than the DWF. Monitors Unboxed seemed quite enamoured with the DW but did mention the big price difference.

Yeah thats what i was saying, you can't see it on Dells site anymore. I only found it on the Rainforest site by a different company for £1200. It seems that Dell may have discontinued it?

Worth waiting for, what's another year or 2 tbh. Still using my trusty Iiyama red eagle ultrawide for the past 2/3 years and its got plenty of life left in it.
LG have a 39" UW OLED panel (3440x1440) slated for production Q1 next year (so say monitors in 12/13 months maybe?), might be worth keeping an eye open for.

38" would be logical upgrade for me. Having played recent games using DLDSR 4586x1920 and 5160x2160, the performance is up there for gaming but that sort of res on a native display with that res would be superb.

38" would be logical upgrade for me. Having played recent games using DLDSR 4586x1920 and 5160x2160, the performance is up there for gaming but that sort of res on a native display with that res would be superb.

DLDRS is awesome. Just goes to show how potato 1440p is. That is one of the biggest put ofs about this monitor. Meh native resolution. I would love for it to be 5160x2160 native.

There's a 45in coming at that res I think 2025 iirc but limited to 165Hz. Prob be bendy like a banana too if the current one is to go by :D Hopefully the poor sales of it will make them see sense.

I would not even mind if it was 120hz to be honest. I just don't want to pay silly money for it. Needs to be a 3 figure sum like my Alienware was.

Last edited:
How about the world's first QD-OLED that doesn't use expensive rare metal for illumination like Samsung's QD-OLED does?

If this goes into wide applications then we will see a 2nd mas producer of QD-OLED to take on Samsung, forcing Samsung to restructure their pricing hopefully. And as it's Canon, you can bet the calibration etc will be second to none.

Samsung QD-OLED's will get cheaper anyway as production is ramping up because more televisions are using their panel technology. It's unclear how Canon will market their version as I don't see them going into tv manufacturing but I guess they could provide them to other companies.
I'm sure Samsung has chosen their material for their panels for a reason, and also looked at alternatives, if they were better then they'd be using them.
We shall see..

Last edited:
I'm in a position to afford a 1440p OLED monitor now and i'm going back and forth on the DWF, the G8, and the LG and Asus 240Hz models. I think what shapes the decision will be that I can get NHS discount on the DWF which takes it down to a shade over £800, compared to £1000+ for the others. At that price point it's a no-brainer, surely?

I'm in a position to afford a 1440p OLED monitor now and i'm going back and forth on the DWF, the G8, and the LG and Asus 240Hz models. I think what shapes the decision will be that I can get NHS discount on the DWF which takes it down to a shade over £800, compared to £1000+ for the others. At that price point it's a no-brainer, surely?

Possibly cheaper than that. It's £800 over on HotUKDeals at the moment and reading the comments it looks like you can stack it with your NHS discount code. Pretty sure I don't want an ultrawide but it's certainly tempting at that price

I'd avoid the Samsung purely based on lack of any warranty

I think he meant warranty that included burn-in, Samsung does not mention burn-in anywhere, whereas the 3 years with Dell/Alienbware includes burn-in. I would not be buying any OLED monitor that did not include burn-in assurance really. The tech has not advanced enough yet to be able to buy a monitor and be assured there will be no burn-in issues a year or 2 down the line.

Last edited:
There isn't a lack of warranty with the Samsung at all and I have provided proof of this in the past. My G8 has three years warranty valid until 23/1/2026 with Samsung..

Having a "warranty" written down and actually being able to claim on that warranty without them trying every trick in the book to weasel out of it, including lying about misuse and deliberate damage are two very different things ;)

Have you actually successfully claimed on the warranty? Because otherwise that screenshot doesn't prove anything.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom