World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Soldato
Yup, HDR1000 looks fixed indeed! Windows HDR tool goes a touch over 1000 for me on default 75 contrast. I'm only using HDR in games tho - SDR looks best to me on Creator preset. I'm glad I didn't go for the non F version now.

Associate
Is the brightness curve fixed or is it still just the HDR400 curve extended to 1000 nits like they had done before?
Properly fixed. Not just an overbrighten effect like before. Although how well it conforms to the actual progression for HDR1000, you'll need to wait for someone who has the measuring equipment to test. I don't have that. :)

Soldato
Playing Uncharted legacy in HDR1000 mode and the improvement is noticeable, it does not seem as over brightened and the over all detail is maintained.

Need to test more game really.

Will be interesting to see what the like's of hardware unboxed or RTINGS make of the new firmware.

Mine now shows 994 Nits in the windows HDR tool after recalibration.

Soldato
Purchased the AW32DWF yesterday, managed to get it for £790 which is slightly more than Id initially budgeted for a new screen.

Upgrading from a 2018 Asus Swift TN Panel - hoping I wont be disappointed.

ETA 15/06/23.

Soldato
Purchased the AW32DWF yesterday, managed to get it for £790 which is slightly more than Id initially budgeted for a new screen.

Upgrading from a 2018 Asus Swift TN Panel - hoping I wont be disappointed.

ETA 15/06/23.

That's was a great deal, I was very tempted myself but wasn't sure if they would fix the HDR1000 issue, but sounds like they finally did with the update this week. Wish I'd grabbed one as well now.

Soldato
That's was a great deal, I was very tempted myself but wasn't sure if they would fix the HDR1000 issue, but sounds like they finally did with the update this week. Wish I'd grabbed one as well now.

It sounds like they are continuing the bring out firmware revisions to address issues, which is good. Firmware upgradability is one of the main reasons I went for the DWF over the DW, despite the F's lack of G-SYNC.

Was tempted by the Samsung but everywhere I turn I hear about poor after sales support.

Soldato
It sounds like they are continuing the bring out firmware revisions to address issues, which is good. Firmware upgradability is one of the main reasons I went for the DWF over the DW, despite the F's lack of G-SYNC.

Was tempted by the Samsung but everywhere I turn I hear about poor after sales support.

Yeah good to see continuing updates, it was just that for this particular issue they had been promising to fix it for months, so I think people were starting to wonder if they ever would.

I think the main reasons I'd go with the Dell over the Samsung is the screen burn warranty and the price, it's cheaper already and regularly discounted.

Soldato

DWF needed firmware upgradability to fix the problems

DW doesn't need it. Having the GSYNC module meant there was a lot of testing done for it to meet Nvidia's requirements. This means issues like the DWF had would never have been allowed to happen on the DW. Say what you want about GSYNC, from a customer point of view it's not a big deal like it once was. But having the GSYNC module means passing a lot of Nvidia's quality tests so you end up with a complete product from day 1, not a product that needs multiple firmware updates for over a year to fix.

Soldato
DWF needed firmware upgradability to fix the problems

DW doesn't need it. Having the GSYNC module meant there was a lot of testing done for it to meet Nvidia's requirements. This means issues like the DWF had would never have been allowed to happen on the DW. Say what you want about GSYNC, from a customer point of view it's not a big deal like it once was. But having the GSYNC module means passing a lot of Nvidia's quality tests so you end up with a complete product from day 1, not a product that needs multiple firmware updates for over a year to fix.
But it did have issues that were resolved by firmware updates in later models

Soldato
Indeed, I remember watching a Monitors unboxed video where he complained about an issue that couldn't be fixed without sending it back to Dell, and while it wasn't a massive issue, not being able to update the firmware definitely seems like a bad thing.

Soldato
But it did have issues that were resolved by firmware updates in later models

Yes, there was no way to stop the panel refresh prompt from popping up when it needed to do a refresh...

Not really comparable to missing an advertised feature and one of the main selling points for a whole year. I do agree though, not being able to update the firmware seems a tad short sighted

Soldato
OP
Nvidia seems to be changing their approach I think because they are allowing user updates to the newest Gsync ultimate monitor, the Asus pg27aqn. As far as I know it's the first and only Gsync ultimate monitor with user updateable firmware

I don't know if this is only possible because this monitor has a new Gsync module that previous monitors don't or maybe Asus is the first company to satisfy Nvidia's control freak nature for Nvidia to be willing to allow over the air firmware updates

This monitor is also the first and only monitor support Nvidias new ULMB2 technology, so I suppose it's possible Nvidia is using a new Gsync chip and on this new one they built in over the air firmware update support

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes, there was no way to stop the panel refresh prompt from popping up when it needed to do a refresh...

Not really comparable to missing an advertised feature and one of the main selling points for a whole year. I do agree though, not being able to update the firmware seems a tad short sighted
Not the only issue on the day 1 DW, but I do agree the hdr peak 1000 should have shipped in a better state on the DWF it’s not like it’sa cheap purchase after all

There is an improvement with the update and I no longer need to use console mode, but having no test gear I’ve no idea if it’s on par with the DW or if it’s in the right ball park for peak 1000

It looks great driving at night in ACC though :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom