World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I ordered one, thought I would try it out.

Used code DAILYMAIL8MON, the 5% newsletter code and £15 worth of rewards I had left for a monitor I already returned (hah), came to £718.27

Nice. Not sure what monitor you got now, but there is a good chance this will be a nice step up. I would rather have this monitor and a 3080 TI than a IPS/VA monitor and a 4090 for example :)

Soldato
Its here, my oh my! Absolutely delighted.

Done a fresh install of W11, updated the firmware and enabled HDR - what else do I need to do to optimise this screen? Ive read about HDR calibration tools, adjusting brightness/contrast etc?

Soldato

Done a fresh install of W11, updated the firmware and enabled HDR - what else do I need to do to optimise this screen? Ive read about HDR calibration tools, adjusting brightness/contrast etc?
Awesome, just install the Windows HDR calibration tool, as for contrast i use 75%

Last edited:
Soldato
Awesome, dont forget to install the Windows HDR calibration tool :)

Yep, run that. Is it really as simple as just following the on screen prompts then clicking save/apply?

Seemed pretty easy/straight forward. Don't know why, I expected it to be more complicated :D

Soldato
I’m serious mate! I’ve tried so many screens recently, all of them trigger migraines on me. TN was the only thing my eyes could handle :/
When LCD screens first came out they used to give me a similar effect to motion sickness, seems my eyes wanted to see a curved screen and my brain couldn't handle a totally flat one. I've never suffered from any motion sickness at all, either in a car or on a boat, so it was puzzling to me why lcd screens did this. Anyway the issue quickly passed and it has long since gone.
Headaches and migraines must be awful for you, though you're not alone with this..

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
HEY! I'm still rocking a TN panel! :p

There hasnt been anything worth upgrading to until recently the the arival of OLED monitors. And now they've come I'm thinking of waiting for the next refresh.....:cry:

Lol. I only ever had a TN panel on a laptop. They are utter crap imo. Move your head slightly and colours shift, wtf :cry:

Soldato
Lol. I only ever had a TN panel on a laptop. They are utter crap imo. Move your head slightly and colours shift, wtf :cry:
Yeah colour shift is an issue but they aren't as bad as that. Atleast not a decent TN panel. Early TN and some laptop screens are pretty terrible though. I don't notice any colour shift unless I really move my chair left or right a decent amount.
I've stuck with this screen as other than OLED other screens always have some flaw that annoys me. IPS glow, VA smearing etc.

Reactions: TNA
Associate

Mines got a new default (I didn't set it) of 15% Brightness and 75% Contrast (it used to default at 25% brightness). I leave it on HDR400 True Black and auto switch to HD1000 when in games.

With the new firmware, my particular screen is rated at 1050 nits apparently before no more improvement. Not bad. But need to calibrate at night (lights off, no ambient sunlight or external city lights) to get every last bit calibrated from this. So if yours doesn't have the newest firmware, update it and then calibrate with blackout curtains covering windows, and no lights on, or do it at night.

There's just the one thing I ran into that gave me a scare (for the entire system, not the display); so it appears that after you update the firmware, do NOT restart your system. Shut it DOWN. And reboot it back up that way. Then calibrate your display or alter settings in roughly that order; with the key thing being Update Firmware -> Shut Down system -> Start up PC again -> then change stuff.

Because when I only restarted without a full shutdown, the system worked. Until when I tried to boot it back up again the next day. Went through all diagnosis issues, but in the end, it was because after turning it to HDR1000 and calibrating it, Windows 11 was throwing a fit (and crashed at the login page or just after trying to log in). Turns out the new HDR profile wasn't accepted properly, and I had to turn the display back to HDR400 True Black (via it's OSD menu rather than through the Dell Display Manager 2.1) before it was able to load in through without issues. Because the system is a Ryzen 7000 series (CPU and GPU) I had thought something might have died overnight. But yeah, looks like there's a rare instance of this being an issue, so users updating be aware.

Update Firmware -> Shut Down system -> Start up PC again -> then change stuff.

Soldato
HEY! I'm still rocking a TN panel! :p

There hasnt been anything worth upgrading to until recently the the arival of OLED monitors. And now they've come I'm thinking of waiting for the next refresh.....:cry:

Well if we're doing TN confessions count me in!
I've always been pretty happy with mine, I guess it's what I've been used to, definitely ready to move on though!

Associate
Associate
I've pulled the trigger and ordered an Alienware. Won't be here for a few weeks, but at this price was to good to pass up. I'm a little concerned about the text blurring issue as I will use it for a lot of spreadsheet work, ut can always return if I'm not happy.

Back
Top Bottom