World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

I hope the blacks are as deep as your expecting. The one review\over view in this thread noted how the blacks on his monitor were not as black as other OLED screens and more grey. Everyone seems to have ignored that statement. I hope that is wrong though as deep blacks are one of the more important things to me.

No one's ignored it, we've just assumed it was external light pollution on the coating (which is very plausible given the images we've seen)

The US release date was stated to be late March so it's entirely possible the UK date will get pushed up too. Will have to keep checking Dell's store to be sure.
Yeah - so far it's up on Dell site in Singapore/Japan/Australia/New Zealand/Canada/US. Nothing in Europe yet.
NZ and AUS have terrible deliveries - end of May. US and Canada 2 day delivery. So it seems there is stock, but only in US so far. I guess UK designated units are on a ship somewhere now.

No one's ignored it, we've just assumed it was external light pollution on the coating (which is very plausible given the images we've seen)

a couple of guys in a group I’m in got theirs yesterday in US. In amblient light the AR coating is doing it’s job and thus some of the tint you see on pictures being taken.

Once lighting is controlled, not an issue and pitch black as expected.

a couple of guys in a group I’m in got theirs yesterday in US. In amblient light the AR coating is doing it’s job and thus some of the tint you see on pictures being taken.

That's interesting, so to see deep blacks you need to use the screen in a dark or dim light controlled room otherwise blacks appear grey from light reflections coming off the coating.

Its unfortunate as OLED TVs with gloss coating can still achieve deep blacks in a bright room but this monitor due to coating needs a dark room to look it's best

Now it makes sense

I hope the blacks are as deep as your expecting. The one review\over view in this thread noted how the blacks on his monitor were not as black as other OLED screens and more grey. Everyone seems to have ignored that statement. I hope that is wrong though as deep blacks are one of the more important things to me.

Basically what the below ones have said.

This is reddit thread probably shows the best examples so far:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/c...g_c1/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/c...g_c1/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Thats alright then :D

Still dont think 21:9 is for me though and looking at those pictures I think the curve would annoy me :( How it makes the screen look narrower towards the middle, or is that not noticable when sat closer.

TBH the only thing that appeals to me about this monitor is the OLED panel and its a lot of money for something that isn't really suitable for my use and will potentially hinder and annoy.

I guess I will just keep waiting :(

Last edited:
Thats alright then :D

Still dont think 21:9 is for me though and looking at those pictures I think the curve would annoy me :( How it makes the screen look narrower towards the middle, or is that not noticable when sat closer.

TBH the only thing that appeals to me about this monitor is the OLED panel and its a lot of money for something that isn't really suitable for my use and will potentially hinder and annoy.

I guess I will just keep waiting :(

Get used to the curve very quickly and it becomes unnoticeable, similarly do not notice any distortion really of things looking narrower in the middle. If anything edges coming in is a good thing, brings it into the edges of your vision nicely. Appreciate some may have workloads where a flat pane is preferential, but for gaming, daily use etc, 0 issues imo.

Get used to the curve very quickly and it becomes unnoticeable, similarly do not notice any distortion really of things looking narrower in the middle. If anything edges coming in is a good thing, brings it into the edges of your vision nicely. Appreciate some may have workloads where a flat pane is preferential, but for gaming, daily use etc, 0 issues imo.
Same. I don’t notice the curve any more. The curve is uniform across the whole monitor, not flat in the middle with curved sides. There is no compression in the middle.

I have a x34p which is curved and a illyama 34 flat close to it. I prefer the curve but it's a matter of getting used to either one. You'll be adapt within a day at most.

A wrong impression people have is that it pinches and warps the picture. It does not.

That's interesting, so to see deep blacks you need to use the screen in a dark or dim light controlled room otherwise blacks appear grey from light reflections coming off the coating.

Its unfortunate as OLED TVs with gloss coating can still achieve deep blacks in a bright room but this monitor due to coating needs a dark room to look it's best

Now it makes sense

that was exactly what I was thinking, one has to take these comparison vids and pics with a pound of salt always better to hear the thoughts since nothing matches the human eye.

awesome link thanks, does appear QD-OLED has matched the hype.

That guy sums up his review nicely :-

"My suggestion? If you all already own an OLED, especially C1, you are good, unless you want ultrawide badly.

The size of AW3432DW is a little small to me now after I've been using C1 for 6 month. But if you don't want big screen, this is definitely the one to go.

A future 48" or 42" 4K QD-OLED would be fantastic"

I think people should stop believing in some random reddit morons and listen to experts - Vincent said blacks are black and text is super crisp, but a random moron on reddit(who probably doesnt even know what chroma subsampling is) said its not crisp and now half of the internet is saying that qd-oled is worse than oled in text clarity and blacks :cry:

I think people should stop believing in some random reddit morons and listen to experts - Vincent said blacks are black and text is super crisp, but a random moron on reddit(who probably doesnt even know what chroma subsampling is) said its not crisp and now half of the internet is saying that qd-oled is worse than oled in text clarity and blacks :cry:

Shhhhh! I'm happy for people to believe mis-truths if it means they won't be hammering F5 on release day. :D

Same. I don’t notice the curve any more. The curve is uniform across the whole monitor, not flat in the middle with curved sides. There is no compression in the middle.

I think your brain adjusts for it, I went back to a flat one after I broke my aw3821dw and felt like the edges were curving away from me for a few days

I think your brain adjusts for it, I went back to a flat one after I broke my aw3821dw and felt like the edges were curving away from me for a few days
Yeah same for me when I sent my neo g9 back for replacement and got the old 40” led out to tide me over. I think I may send my neo g9 back and wait for this.

0f3kxru67jl81.jpg

What is that showing in the image. It isn't on the C1. Looks like a grid pattern over it all?

Pity there is no blur reduction in this model - I guess implementing it via Nvidia's ULMB wasn't possible.

I'll be waiting for the freesync version to hopefully have it built into the monitor.

Pity there is no blur reduction in this model - I guess implementing it via Nvidia's ULMB wasn't possible.

I'll be waiting for the freesync version to hopefully have it built into the monitor.
You cant have ULMB on oled. It requires modulation of backlight which doesnt exist in oled. Some kind of BFI would be beneficial though.
Also, please remember that ULMB does not work with gsync/freesync.

I thought that may be the case, just my initial reaction from those images is off putting. My main issue is still the fact that I mostly play fighting games so 16:9 is needed. As stated by others I could run 2560x1440p resolution and that black bars at the side but ultimately I'd be paying for something I'm not using.

Fingers crossed someone comes out with a 27-32" 16:9 QD-OLED panel

Back
Top Bottom