World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

90 cd/m2 is actually a gold standard for office work for some time now, most tv calibrators also calibrate for 90 cd/m2 for movies in a dim room.
For gaming it may be too low, colors will lack oomph. That said, I will be using hdr 400 settings for sure - true hdr 1000 on acer x35 gives me headaches after few hours of gaming.

Yep 90-120 is the standard (I found 120 a bit too bright for my liking) range for a well calibrated monitor. It looks natural and easy on the eyes regardless of a completely dark room or blinds fully open on a sunny day. Not found any probs with gaming either as have been using this for years since getting the i1Display Pro. Dark areas in Cyberpunk for example are nicely dark aside from the IPS glow - Obviously that will be a thing of the past with QD-OLED.

I noticed that Xrite have merged with Calibrite and sell a new calibrator called Calibrite Plus and Pro - I just installed that software which is a mirror of i1Profiler and it detects my i1Display pro which is good. I will use that on the Dell and see what's what as I notice in the dropdown that the backlight type has OLED listed, not sure if it should also list QD-OLED however but I guess I will have to run a calibration session and then do a quality test to see what it reads. As long as it reads accurately that's all that matters.

It's going to be weird going back to storing icc profiles for the GFX card's LUT as I currently use LG Calibration Studio which stores to the monitor's hardware LUT so the icc profile it creates actually makes no difference. It does mean that every time I update the GFX card driver there is a chance that I will need to recalibrate because nVidia could change how colours behave in the driver etc. I use nVidia Studio drivers so that won't be too often thankfully.

Edit.
Tom's Guide have a review now up too, not read it yet as the LG is calibrating just so I have a recent run to compare against soon lol.

https://www.tomsguide.com/reviews/alienware-34-qd-oled-gaming-monitor-review

Edit2*
Done, after so many years this LG continues to impress, to give you an idea of the ambient brightness I normally edit and game in, here's a pic:

pc_monitor-calibration-LG-34UM95-P_2022_i1.jpg

Results:
pc_monitor-calibration-LG-34UM95-P_2022_LGCalStudio.jpg

Last edited:
Good review from Toms guide. This is definitely going to be a nice upgrade and looking forward to running some spreadsheets on this.

90 cd/m2 is actually a gold standard for office work for some time now, most tv calibrators also calibrate for 90 cd/m2 for movies in a dim room.
For gaming it may be too low, colors will lack oomph. That said, I will be using hdr 400 settings for sure - true hdr 1000 on acer x35 gives me headaches after few hours of gaming.

Yea, but we are buying this for gaming no?

I tried 90 cd/m2 when I started getting into calibrating my monitors and just found it way too dull, as you say no oomph at all.

If I can get hold of it I will use true black hdr 400 on standard profile probably and just leave it at that :)

Last edited:
Bloody hell theres a lot of adverts in that Toms Hardware review?! Makes it difficult to even read sometimes via mobile

Some of the numbers look very odd to me. For instance their (presumably out of the box) dE numbers don’t make sense: “As measured with our Klein K10-A colorimeter, the Alienware 34's Standard, FPS and Sports modes registered a 0.24 Delta-E value (the difference between the color as sent from the source and the color displayed, with lower numbers always better). Creator and MOBA/RTS each registered a 0.27 value, while RPG mode registered a 0.28 value.”…

those are super low numbers, but dE relative to what? Relative to what reference colour space? Native mode will be wide gamut so dE for sRGB colours would be very high, especially with what they report to be a super wide gamut. So the suggestion dE is so low doesn’t make sense. People will see these dE and assume it’s really accurate, but that figure in its own doesn’t mean anything without the context

and their HDR brightness tests suggest it never gets anywhere near 1000 nits which doesn’t feel likely

Their RGB coverage % also looks a bit sketchy. We really need Vincent to test it properly.
Comments in youtube are even better. Half of them are now convinced its pentile matrix, because subpixels are in triangle...
But as said earlier, its actually better that people try to find cons, maybe they will hesitate to buy and we will be able to get hold of one :D

I had to turn of uBlock Origin to check that out and yep, those ads are way too distracting. I refuse to allow ads on sites that force ads on you in that manner.

But yeah the values need clarification, I tend to take mentioned values like that at face value rather than a technical one as I will be doing my own tests when one/mine arrives. I don't really care to run in wide gamut mode as 99% of everything I edit for is for output into the sRGB space so all my calibrating will be pretty much exclusively for sRGB for business and pleasure really.

If those dE values are for sRGB though then that is an immense out of box calibration yet the video review I also posted said at high brightness the green goes above 5 dE, so that would in turn skew off the general average delta too.

It's going to be an interesting one I think.

As for the note above about 90cd/m2 being too low brightness for colour punch, that's not been my experience at all - Perhaps different monitors behave differently, or perhaps I've not noticed anything on this monitor because it does all calibration on a hardware LUT. I know that before I had this LG, calibrating via the GFX card's LUT to 90cd/m2 the colours did look more muted and one of the reasons I tended to calibrate a bit differently by setting the baseline first via OSD on the Dell or whatever I had at the time, then telling the cal software to use native brightness/contrast so it didn't change those during calibration and only adjusted the RGB in the colour profile it saved at the end. With hardware LUT it has been such a breeze though, can go much lower than 90cd/m2 and still have the same punchy colours etc.

Good review from Toms guide. This is definitely going to be a nice upgrade and looking forward to running some spreadsheets on this.
Wait, your going to buy this monitor and the first thing you are looking forward to is running some spreadsheets. LOL :cry:

Conclusion:

When we first saw the price of the Alienware 34, our first thought was: "What's the catch?" Now, after having used it for a week myself, I can see while there are some, they don't ruin the experience to the point where it's still not worth the price of entry. Samsung's new QD-OLED panel tech provides a decent balance between the outright eye-watering beauty of standard OLED televisions and the gaming responsiveness we've come to expect out of the gaming-monitor segment in 2022, meeting somewhere in the middle of both.

It may not be the outright revolution in gaming-monitor panels we were expecting at its announcement, but in more ways than one, the Alienware 34 is an evolutionary step in the right direction, and we're excited to see where QD-OLED allows the category to unfold from here.

Yep 90-120 is the standard (I found 120 a bit too bright for my liking) range for a well calibrated monitor. It looks natural and easy on the eyes regardless of a completely dark room or blinds fully open on a sunny day. Not found any probs with gaming either as have been using this for years since getting the i1Display Pro. Dark areas in Cyberpunk for example are nicely dark aside from the IPS glow - Obviously that will be a thing of the past with QD-OLED.

I noticed that Xrite have merged with Calibrite and sell a new calibrator called Calibrite Plus and Pro - I just installed that software which is a mirror of i1Profiler and it detects my i1Display pro which is good. I will use that on the Dell and see what's what as I notice in the dropdown that the backlight type has OLED listed, not sure if it should also list QD-OLED however but I guess I will have to run a calibration session and then do a quality test to see what it reads. As long as it reads accurately that's all that matters.

It's going to be weird going back to storing icc profiles for the GFX card's LUT as I currently use LG Calibration Studio which stores to the monitor's hardware LUT so the icc profile it creates actually makes no difference. It does mean that every time I update the GFX card driver there is a chance that I will need to recalibrate because nVidia could change how colours behave in the driver etc. I use nVidia Studio drivers so that won't be too often thankfully.

Edit.
Tom's Guide have a review now up too, not read it yet as the LG is calibrating just so I have a recent run to compare against soon lol.

https://www.tomsguide.com/reviews/alienware-34-qd-oled-gaming-monitor-review

Edit2*
Done, after so many years this LG continues to impress, to give you an idea of the ambient brightness I normally edit and game in, here's a pic:

pc_monitor-calibration-LG-34UM95-P_2022_i1.jpg

Results:
pc_monitor-calibration-LG-34UM95-P_2022_LGCalStudio.jpg

That's a pretty nice panel you have there. How even the grey is all over the screen.

Do you calibrate your OLED TV as well? Assuming same brightness...

That's a pretty nice panel you have there. How even the grey is all over the screen.

Do you calibrate your OLED TV as well? Assuming same brightness...

I've had a fair number of IPS monitors over the years and VA too (let's just forget about TNs lol) and this has been my fav. It was LG's first 34" ultra wide and whilst a whole bunch did have backlight bleed issues, I eventually got lucky with a hand picked one with no bleed or uniformity probs. If the Alienware ends up being top quality to a similar level then I don't know what to do with the LG really, would be nice to have it as a secondary display I guess, maybe on a side mounted arm in portrait mode just for reading content perhaps? 1440 pixels is ample for websites too. Certainly wouldn't sell it as finding another that's as good would be way too difficult.

I don't calibrate the OLED TV, it's purely for entertainment and to the eye it looks good enough so haven't really put much thought into it! It is a gen 1 OLED though so after so many years is in need of a replacement as I do see some screen burn from news channel logos in the corners :/

Back
Top Bottom