World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Associate
Interestingly I've finally come across my first case of either burn in or image retention. I noticed on greyish screens like say a Steam chat window I could see that parts of the right side of my screen looked a slightly different grey. So I got up the Eizo monitor test patterns and noticed that on blue it was slightly "dirty" in places on the bottom right quadrant of the screen. Now interestingly that's part of the screen I don't use as much(if I've only got one window open I usually have it on the left side due to the empty part of my desk being on the left side allowing paper documents/food or whatever else), and I could see some vague outlines of specific text on it that looked like it's come from some kind of document or email(the location of it wouldn't be any game UI or anything, nor do I recognise it as one). Consequently I'm actually thinking it might have been stubborn image retention because you generally don't get burn in that looks like specific text unless it was part of a UI, even subtitle burn in tends to just show up as a blurry rectangle box around where subtitles are usually placed. I figure I might have accidentally left a white background document up recently that's caused it. It's entirely possible as I noticed Windows has been bugging out with it's screensaver, sometimes it doesn't pop up after 5mins of inactivity like it should till I restart my PC.

Either way I ran the long panel cleaner from the settings and that's cleaned it up quite a lot. You can still see some very faint "dirtyness" on the blue test image if you look close but it's not too obvious anymore. We'll see if that either goes away more over time, or alternatively gets worse i guess.

Last edited:
Soldato
Did someone mention previously that 7000 series AMD cards don't play nice with VRR on these screens?

There was some talk of the AMD GPU's not liking the F model (yes, that's right, the model that was supposed to be for AMD), but I haven't seen any reports of issues with the G-Sync monitor. That means that if you have an AMD GPU, you do need to find someone who is using that particular GPU with the F monitor.

Soldato
There was some talk of the AMD GPU's not liking the F model (yes, that's right, the model that was supposed to be for AMD), but I haven't seen any reports of issues with the G-Sync monitor. That means that if you have an AMD GPU, you do need to find someone who is using that particular GPU with the F monitor.
It's not the F model that I have, it's the DW model. It works fine with my 6800XT but I'm looking to buy a 7900XT and wondering if I'll just end up creating issues for myself.

Associate
It's not the F model that I have, it's the DW model. It works fine with my 6800XT but I'm looking to buy a 7900XT and wondering if I'll just end up creating issues for myself.
I haven't read about AMD issues on the F. I'm using a 7900 XTX and not experienced any noticeable issues myself. What are these issues that I should be looking out for exactly?

Soldato
I haven't read about AMD issues on the F. I'm using a 7900 XTX and not experienced any noticeable issues myself. What are these issues that I should be looking out for exactly?

Oh, I think you would know if you had them. There were some reports when the F first came out (which may have been sorted by now) regards some AMD GPU's not working with the monitor's Freesync.

Associate
Oh, I think you would know if you had them. There were some reports when the F first came out (which may have been sorted by now) regards some AMD GPU's not working with the monitor's Freesync.
Ah, OK. Well, I can confirm that I didn't run into any such issues, using the F and a 7900 XTX if anyone needs someone a data point for functional setup. :)

Associate
An ad-hoc issue has arisen on my DW.

I have my main gaming PC connected via DP using a 3080 Ti. My work laptop is connected via HDMI.

About a week ago, after flawless running, my DW doesn't seem to pick up my DP connected. The input goes straight to "standby mode", it can't find the signal. Power cycling the monitor at the wall socket sometimes fixes it, but invariably rebooting the PC (sometimes more than once) fixes it.

Any thoughts as to cause and/or remedy? Thanks Neil.

Associate

I have my main gaming PC connected via DP using a 3080 Ti. My work laptop is connected via HDMI.

About a week ago, after flawless running, my DW doesn't seem to pick up my DP connected. The input goes straight to "standby mode", it can't find the signal. Power cycling the monitor at the wall socket sometimes fixes it, but invariably rebooting the PC (sometimes more than once) fixes it.

I've had this when swapping back to gaming PC in same setup, and I think it's nVidia DP and driver related (RTX3080 here). My solution without unplugging involves a second screen (which my gaming PC has). I simply switch which screen acts as the main monitor back in forth in the windows settings and the DW pops back into life.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour

Spoiler alert, DW ranks 7th, DWF ranks 1st.

7th because of no user firmware upgrades, price still high, higher input latency (unaffected by this myself tbh but haven't used a DWF so can't compare).

1dt because of the opposite reasons to the above :p

If I was buying again now then I'd get the DWF for sure as it's cheaper and slightly more colour accurate in Creator mode.

Last edited:
Associate
I've had this when swapping back to gaming PC in same setup, and I think it's nVidia DP and driver related (RTX3080 here). My solution without unplugging involves a second screen (which my gaming PC has). I simply switch which screen acts as the main monitor back in forth in the windows settings and the DW pops back into life.
Displayport/output control in general just seems super janky with nvidia (not had a AMD card so dunno if they're any better). I've got my TV connected via HDMI to my graphics card as well as my DW via DP, but it just causes random issues with my DW(and any previous DP monitor I had). Previously it would cause the monitor to just not turn on sometimes, but that did finally manage to get fixed more recently after multiple years of it. Now it's g-sync that causes issues, having it enabled on both can cause some really odd issues, like if g-sync is activated by a game on the TV it'll cause my monitor to turn it on as well which causes noticeable gamma flicker on any dark mode websites/applications.

It feels like these kind of issues are just never a priority to be fixed.

Associate

this is the issue i had. I have found manually forcing a panel refresh heps on the lack of it being picked up. Maybe might help for you to?

Associate
Results seem out for the first 4 months of the burn in longevity test rtings were doing on the AW3423DWF. It seems like it's sadly following the Samsung QDOLED tv in showing signs of burn in after 4 months of the test. Admittedly this is the absolute worse case scenario of having a lot of the same bright static content for most hours of every day, I think they've got all the screens set to full brightness too, but it's definitely not living up to Samsungs claims of it being better for burn in than the LGs. Either way, it's looking like we'll potentially need to use that 3 year warranty it came with lol.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/alienware-aw3423dwf (Scroll down to the longevity section)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom