WWDC 2006

Soldato
BillytheImpaler said:
If you have QT Pro ctrl click it when playing and select "Save As."
No. All you can download is the file that points to the stream.

I gave it a go at 8, got almost half an hour of smooth playback. That brings me to about 52 minutes in. Now it's just timing out :(

Soldato
On embedded videos, using the QT plugin, you can use that to save once the whole stream has been cached. Opening a stream in QT itself, however, doesn't :(

Well, I've finally got through the whole thing. Quite impressed with Web Clip, looks like it'll actually be useful. Time Machine is pretty spiffy :) and Core Animation has a lot of potential. RSS Feeds inside of Mail could work nicely, but I'll have to use it to see. And, I can see myself actually using iChat now :)

Permabanned
OP
I think it was a bit overhyped by the mac fanatics, you see threads on macrumours, appleinsider etc speculating!

In hindsight, they delivered what the could be expected to: leopard and the mac pro. Just a shame no new MBP; I have to buy one in 6 weeks whatever.

Time Machine looks amazing though!

Suspended
well i have FINALLY managed to watch the entire keynote amid several audio drop outs etc.

I personally thing the macpro is a tad over priced but not by that much.

It's one hell of a work horse you are getting for your money but sadly to get it up to scratch for quite a few users, you are going to have to shell out even more.

Why? ...

RAM - Well we all know, macs *love* running on 2gb+ of ram.

GFX - To most of us, i think the base 7300GT card would suffice. If not .. ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB (2 x dual-link DVI) [+ £239.99]

HDD - Base unit is supplied with 250gb, now you can drop this to 160gb and save yourself £60 which i would probably recommend as with the money saved, you can easily by yourself a second drive. (Example: Drop to 160, purchase a 250gb with money saved = 410gb)

Superdrive - Well it is supplied with 1 in the base unit with room for a second (+£70) so all is fine there.

Bluetooth & Wifi - An optional extra at £50 for both, i personally think this should have been included in the base unit. Yes, the MacPro is aimed at the more pro user but us consumers will be sorely tempted by it aswell and i believe a lot of us would find the bluetooth/wifi extremely handy. Yes we will just shell out the extra £50 because we simply HAVE to but it just puts a dampner on things. Not everyone is made of money.

Anyways, thats just my views, yes the prices i have mentioned above can all be found on the apple website but i thought i would air my complete views.

All in all, with the full HE discount, i am left tempted by the MacPro. Apple can't please everyone but they do try.

Software wise i think Leopard has some nice features and i am looking forward to seeing the 'top secret' parts they left out.

Soldato
Dr Jones said:
But student offers ends early Oct... :(

It's a shame they don't do the incentive along the lines of £20 upgrade to Panther when released. That would help with these feelings :(

I know thats what will be slowing me down when it comes to deciding when to order a shiny MacBook :o

Beatmaster :D

Soldato
Have to agree on every point there. Gonna expand a little, though :).

RAM - Buying them yourself, 1Gb sticks are £115, £220 for a pair (can't find 512Mb or 2Gb sticks). For the £200 Apple want to bump up to 2Gb you can have 3Gb. For the £740 Apple want to bump up to 4Gb you can buy an extra 6Gb and still have change (or sell the 2x512Mbs and push it out to 8Gb).

Graphics - The X1900 XT for £240 sounds like a decent price, that's about what you'd pay for a PC version of the card. But, since you don't get to keep the 7300, which is priced at £100, you're really paying £340. Not such a good price, now (and exactly what it's selling for on its own). Let us use bog standard PC versions, please.

Hard Drive - Like you say, Maxi, you can get a 250Gb drive for that £60. This is daft, not that I'm complaining :D

Optical Drive - £70 for a 16x DVD±RW. A Pioneer drive is £25 and 100% compatible.

Wireless - You could make a case for including BT & AE (they are, after all, included with every other Mac), but, the environment most Mac Pros are going to end up in, they're fine left as optional extras.

£1439.01 is the cheapest it can be made.

Give it to me without RAM and take £200 off, take £70 for the SuperDrive. For the difference I'll buy 2Gb and a drive that's every bit as good.

Suspended
Doug said:
Give it to me without RAM and take £200 off, take £70 for the SuperDrive. For the difference I'll buy 2Gb and a drive that's every bit as good.

I think everyone would love to have such an option but we have to line Job's pockets some how don't we? :p

I'd like to hold off till leopard is released but the chances of that are slim.

I'd take the base unit (2.66/1gb ram/7300) and just drop down to 160gb. Depending on where i planned on sitting the box would determine whether i opted for the wireless/bluetooth options. Putting this through the Full HE discounts would result in a <£1500 price tag which i suppose not so bad for a brand new system from apple.

I really do agree with you though on the superdrive. £70 is quite a tag to put on a 16x dvdrw (apple tax is one thing but that's getting silly)

I dread to think how much they will charge for an hd-dvd/blue ray upgrade.

Soldato
Doug said:
RAM - Buying them yourself
It hasnt been confirmed or not if normal memory will work with it, if not, then we're naffed as FB dimms arnt available to us consumers yet afaik.

Optical Drive - £70 for a 16x DVD±RW. A Pioneer drive is £25 and 100% compatible.
Isnt the drive a SATA one though?

Despite my critisisms, if i had 2-3k to blow on something, i'd get a MacPro, spec it up a bit, a 30" display, and then sell my current PC.

##EDIT##
Realistically, you could save £200 by dropping the processor to 2Ghz ones and use the same £200 to get 2Gb of memory.

Last edited:
Permabanned
When they said Leopard would be released in "Spring", when does that fall for America? Spring here is like March time right? But the seasons fall on different months around the world do they not?

Associate
After having had a little while to think about what's on offer for the MacPro I still think it's the best value performance desktop Apple have put out.

The issue of the memory concerns me as I suspect that standard DDR2 modules will not work and there will be no alternative source of the correct parts. Have you seen the "warning" on the Apple site trying to put people off fitting non Apple parts?

I really wish you could chose your own GPU. I don't expect Apple to support everything out there but maybe Nvidia/ATi could have an "Apple Certified" logo on cards that OSX fully supported. Not going to happen though.

But will I buy one? Not sure. I could get a nice Conroe system now for significantly less and (depending on motherboard) I should be able to drop a quad core in when available.

Can I justify it by the fact that not only is it a high end Mac, it's also now a high end PC via Bootcamp? Hmmm... I think I'll wait and see if people can get XP64 installed and what issues this brings.

As an aside: If anyone is using Bootcamp can you tell me if the drivers used are written by Apple or are standard Windows drivers used. For example to update a video driver could I just get the latest from nvidia.com or because the BIOS on the GPU is a unique Apple one, would I be at Apple's mercy to update it.

Man of Honour
You certainly can with the video driver - the only possible exception being on laptops (laptop drivers are more likely to be customised by the manufacturer, but I actually doubt Apple would bother). The rest are fairly 'exotic' parts and you may have to use Apple's drivers. I guess the most important one is covered though. :)

Soldato
BoomAM said:
It hasnt been confirmed or not if normal memory will work with it, if not, then we're naffed as FB dimms arnt available to us consumers yet afaik.
Prices I quoted are for compatible modules from Crucial

BoomAM said:
Isnt the drive a SATA one though?
Nope

BoomAM said:
Realistically, you could save £200 by dropping the processor to 2Ghz ones and use the same £200 to get 2Gb of memory.
I quoted the price for the cheapest possible config.

philhoole said:
The issue of the memory concerns me as I suspect that standard DDR2 modules will not work and there will be no alternative source of the correct parts. Have you seen the "warning" on the Apple site trying to put people off fitting non Apple parts?
Yup, standard DDR2 modules are not compatible. Crucial have added the Mac Pro to their system compatibility matrix, with 1Gb FB-DIMM sticks at the prices I quoted.

philhoole said:
As an aside: If anyone is using Bootcamp can you tell me if the drivers used are written by Apple or are standard Windows drivers used.
Boot Camp burns a driver CD as part of the process.

Soldato
Doug said:
Prices I quoted are for compatible modules from Crucial
I doubt that somehow, because i just checked, and Crucial dont even sell FB-DIMMS!

Unless you have some insider documentations or own a MacPro, theres no way you can prove that either way. Unless you can list your information source. ;)

I quoted the price for the cheapest possible config.
Whats your point there? I was making an observation of a good option to take if anyone was getting a MacPro, not making a statement about price in regards to it being overpriced.

Yup, standard DDR2 modules are not compatible. Crucial have added the Mac Pro to their system compatibility matrix, with 1Gb FB-DIMM sticks at the prices I quoted.
As i said above, Crucial dont sell FB-DIMMs yet:
MacPro.JPG

Back
Top Bottom