X4 Foundations

Permabanned
Is there anyone running this on the lower end of the requirements? Dad's wanting to get x4 but we're not sure if it would run.

He currently has a:

Intel Core i5-4670K 3.40GHz
HIS HD 7950 IceQ BOOST 3072MB GDDR5
TeamGroup Elite Black 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3

It was actually built for X-Rebirth but that was obviously a mess!

The game needs Vulcan support (whatever that is) so I would check his GPU can run it as it sounds a bit ropey to be honest. The CPU isn't overclocked and as CaptainRAVE noted, it will struggle as the game is super memory hungry. I would say outside your GPU, this is probably the achilles heel in his and my PC. But if you take AA off and play on medium/low graphics I think it'll run pretty decent to begin with. However, after a few days play time you will get some lag and it will feel sluggish after a few hours of play if he wouldn't mind that.

For comparison, I have:

Sandy i5-2500 @ 4.7
R9 380x
8Gb

I'm a couple of days in and it does struggle a bit after a few hours. This is because the game has come alive so much and the sectors become quite laggy because of all the building/trading and fighting that's all going on now. Also had to take AA off and stop fighting in asteroid fields. That was really punishing the chip in the bigger fleet battles.

Anyway, hope that offers some insight.

Permabanned
Thanks for your reply. I have a bit more thinking about it and then might take the GOG offer of 30% of the game.

The game likes to punk its players hard.

Worth it though.

If you want less daunting start, you can make a fair bit of cash shooting crystals off asteroids. I started in Black Hole Sun and just glided about the rocks looking for a glimmer from a distance.

It's a good way to tweak the ship controls to your liking and familiarise yourself with the menus, all the while you're doing something constructive.

Soldato
The game likes to punk its players hard.

Worth it though.

If you want less daunting start, you can make a fair bit of cash shooting crystals off asteroids. I started in Black Hole Sun and just glided about the rocks looking for a glimmer from a distance.

It's a good way to tweak the ship controls to your liking and familiarise yourself with the menus, all the while you're doing something constructive.

Thanks, that's good advice. Especially since I never played a space game before, so flying might be a bit on the tricky side, depending if you get massive damage if you hit a asteroid or not ! :eek: :p

Man of Honour
Thanks, that's good advice. Especially since I never played a space game before, so flying might be a bit on the tricky side, depending if you get massive damage if you hit a asteroid or not ! :eek: :p

Just be prepared for a very steep learning curve initially, but at least we can all help. It’s great when it all comes together and glorious once you really get going.

Soldato
Is there anyone running this on the lower end of the requirements? Dad's wanting to get x4 but we're not sure if it would run.

He currently has a:

Intel Core i5-4670K 3.40GHz
HIS HD 7950 IceQ BOOST 3072MB GDDR5
TeamGroup Elite Black 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3

It was actually built for X-Rebirth but that was obviously a mess!

Look if you overclock that CPU to 4.5Ghz, you would be able to play it at 1080p. Ofc don't expect AA, ultra graphic set etc or SETA. Personally never used SETA on the X4 because there are so many things to do, that never had the time to do nothing...

https://www.reddit.com/r/X4Foundations/comments/a8ud1g/x4_cpu_comparison/

Man of Honour
Soldato

The flight model is not too realistic. You can see the asteroid to avoid, after all you only lose shield and at worst get trapped into an asteroid. In this case, get up the chair and order your pilot to continue the trip :)

Soldato
Do the xenon just randomly spawn? I've got the northern gate at Company's regard camped with 2 fleets on the Xenon side and a small destroyer only fleet on the connecting side. On Company's Regard there are 4 advanced satellites giving good advance warning but I seem to get large random xenon fleets popping up including random Ks that I never see enter radar range!

Man of Honour
Do the xenon just randomly spawn? I've got the northern gate at Company's regard camped with 2 fleets on the Xenon side and a small destroyer only fleet on the connecting side. On Company's Regard there are 4 advanced satellites giving good advance warning but I seem to get large random xenon fleets popping up including random Ks that I never see enter radar range!

Other than the miners and destroyed shipyards, no, I don’t think they do. Remember it’s a 3D map and your satellite projects a sphere around it.

Soldato
I got more questions sorry on the same subject.

Do stations auto repair themselves?

Or do they have to have repair drones?

If they have to have repair drones, do they have to have storage (assuming as they need to buy the parts to make the drones and therefore need storage).

Any other advice about how your stations can keep themselves repaired?

Man of Honour
I got more questions sorry on the same subject.

Do stations auto repair themselves?

Or do they have to have repair drones?

If they have to have repair drones, do they have to have storage (assuming as they need to buy the parts to make the drones and therefore need storage).

Any other advice about how your stations can keep themselves repaired?

They need repair drones and the funds to buy them. No, they'll have drone hangers to store them.

Soldato
Other than the miners and destroyed shipyards, no, I don’t think they do. Remember it’s a 3D map and your satellite projects a sphere around it.
Yeah that is what is wierd; I've got 4 adv sat around the jump point above and below plane as well as several mid plane but I don't know how they are getting passed these and they're not coming through the gate as the destroyers would have picked them up.

Man of Honour
Yeah that is what is wierd; I've got 4 adv sat around the jump point above and below plane as well as several mid plane but I don't know how they are getting passed these and they're not coming through the gate as the destroyers would have picked them up.

Strange, there must be a good reason for it. The whole ethos of X4 is that everything is simulated (hence the CPU strain), so there shouldn't be much that randomly appears. I can't say I can offer a good explanation though.

Soldato
Xenon do spawn in I think, but only outside the normal zone of the system.

It could be that wherever you are the gate is right on what is considered by the game as the edge of the normal system, and therefore maybe considers your satellite or whatever it is you have there to be outside of the normal zone, and then randomly spawning in xenon.

Not saying I'm right, it's just the only possible thing I can think of.

Soldato
An existing Xenon fleet from the start of the game could be out of the borders of the map. I have found several of these including shipyards 3 to 5 minutes flight outside the map borders.

Soldato
I think stations getting repair drones is bugged.

My defence platform has:
A manager
Funds in the accout to buy the drones
Order set to buy 50 repair drones

I then:
added a small container storage
manually transferred the components to make the drones to that storage

Still nothing.......

I could do with it making the drones as the station comes under constant attack and is now sitting around 60% hull....

Man of Honour
I think stations getting repair drones is bugged.

My defence platform has:
A manager
Funds in the accout to buy the drones
Order set to buy 50 repair drones

I then:
added a small container storage
manually transferred the components to make the drones to that storage

Still nothing.......

I could do with it making the drones as the station comes under constant attack and is now sitting around 60% hull....

Do you have a drone factory?

Back
Top Bottom