Xbox One X

Soldato
I've never liked the performance on any of their console games, only reason I play them is I don't want to get back into pc gaming and something is better than nothing. I think the worst was the operation anchorage DLC on PS3. Agree it would be nice to have the option.

It ran great on the X before the latest patch.

Soldato
If I don't do anything when on the dashboard I get a periodic 'ping' noise. Any idea how I turn it off? This whole system is alien to me.

Also I wouldn't say it's noisy but it sounds like the fan is going up and down in speed every second, quite annoying.
Edit; it stopped when i uninstalled insects demo. Was it running in the background which is why the console was regulating its fan speed you think?
If that's as bad as it gets then I'm happy.

Last edited:
Associate
If I don't do anything when on the dashboard I get a periodic 'ping' noise. Any idea how I turn it off? This whole system is alien to me.

Also I wouldn't say it's noisy but it sounds like the fan is going up and down in speed every second, quite annoying.
Edit; it stopped when i uninstalled insects demo. Was it running in the background which is why the console was regulating its fan speed you think?
If that's as bad as it gets then I'm happy.
The dreaded fan speed issue!!!! Check my earlier threads on this and other people on other forums are moaning about it too. Some X's seem to be suffering from this problem it's really noticeable on BF2, Wolfenstein and COD WW2. I also picked it up on the insects demo as well, touch wood the one I have now is audible but the fan seems to adjust gradually not suddenly. I'm wondering if it's a fan sensor issue or if some of these APU's are not as efficient in yeild and need more cooling but I found it annoying and one of the consoles I had was getting exceptionally hot.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
They've said that every apu is tested and is tweaked to its unique requirements. So it's quite possible that there are some good clockers and some poor ones that need more volts. Hence some consoles are silent and others not so much.

Soldato
Most seem to mention it being loud though. This was just hunting at low volume, I only noticed as I had tv volume off. Odd.

Ran demo for 30m this morning and can't hear it. Obviously room temp is lower. Even when it was doing it the console was still not what id class as loud.

Is there a way to keep downloading and installing games when the console is off like PS4 rest mode?

Last edited:

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Yeah that's just normal fan fluctuations as it crosses some thermal threshold. Not an issue.

Sounds like some others are hitting a critical threshold and the fan goes into hairdryer mode then drops back into normal mode then as temps creep up goes back to hairdryer etc.

That would be an instant return for replacement for me.

Soldato
Agree. I listened to a clip where one goes into hairdryer mode as soon as he turned it on.
Hopefully get some time with it this weekend.

Even when my room was warm last night and I had the tv volume off which obviously isn't normal, it was still way better than my pro playing a 4k game.

Associate
They've said that every apu is tested and is tweaked to its unique requirements. So it's quite possible that there are some good clockers and some poor ones that need more volts. Hence some consoles are silent and others not so much.
Think you've nailed it!

Soldato
Finding Evil Within 2 to be a bit of a slog, suffering from the same issue I had with the first. Too long and poorly paced. I'm at chapter 11 and 12 hours in, I think there's like 17 chapters :/

The first parts were great, but it's getting tedious. It's not a horror imo

Caporegime
Finding Evil Within 2 to be a bit of a slog, suffering from the same issue I had with the first. Too long and poorly paced. I'm at chapter 11 and 12 hours in, I think there's like 17 chapters :/

The first parts were great, but it's getting tedious. It's not a horror imo

Last few chapters are pretty short, most of my game time was spent similar to yours, the first few chapters are more open plan then it becomes linear/quicker.

Is there a way to keep downloading and installing games when the console is off like PS4 rest mode?

Yes I think it's in the power settings, needs to be set to instant on. There is also an option something like 'Keep my apps up to date' that needs to be on. Also if the console is your 'Home' console it will automatically download purchases made online.

https://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-one/console/learn-about-power-modes

Soldato
Last few chapters are pretty short, most of my game time was spent similar to yours, the first few chapters are more open plan then it becomes linear/quicker.

Yes I think it's in the power settings, needs to be set to instant on. There is also an option something like 'Keep my apps up to date' that needs to be on. Also if the console is your 'Home' console it will automatically download purchases made online.

Ahh ok maybe I will try and wrap it up over the weekend. Don't want to stop really just wanted it to maintain the feel of the first say 4 chapters

Soldato

Ah ok thanks. There seems to be a lot of settings on this console! I must have purchased Fable 2 when I briefly had a 360 as it came up on my ready to install list.

Edit: So I just played F7 demo which I presume was in 4k with HDR. The controller vibrating was louder than the console when I turned the tv volume off, very impressive.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I turned mine on last night and AC Origns booted to a black screen. I then turned the console off and did the 10 second reset but it turned itself off during the boot up splash screen. It worked second time I did it but thats definitely a worry for me.

Soldato
Picked it up on amazon for £6 after seeing the digital Foundry review. Looked good, so hoping for a nice experience. Might get the dlc if cheap enough
For the flak it got at launch, it's said to be a good game. It was just technical stuff that ruined it really and that's pretty much all been sorted leaving behind a nice far cry style game which many preferred to fc4 actually!

Associate
I turned mine on last night and AC Origns booted to a black screen. I then turned the console off and did the 10 second reset but it turned itself off during the boot up splash screen. It worked second time I did it but thats definitely a worry for me.

Do you use a surge protector with your x?
Microsoft issued a statement as they can cause problems with the console.

Back
Top Bottom