Xbox Scorpio

Caporegime
We may find that all this discussion is moot anyway if devs start offering up a 1080p60 or 4K30 mode now there will be two consoles to cater for.

I'm hoping this will be the case, I see no reason why they can't offer the choice now.

It would also be nice if they could allow us to adjust post processing effects such as motion blur, chromatic aberration, depth of field, lens flare, film grain etc.

V F

V F

Soldato
I'm hoping this will be the case, I see no reason why they can't offer the choice now.

It would also be nice if they could allow us to adjust post processing effects such as motion blur, chromatic aberration, depth of field, lens flare, film grain etc.

That is the other thing I somewhat despise about console developers. They seem to hate you having choices. To me console developers always seem to think everyone is 12 that don't know much about settings. Keep everything dumb and extremely basic.

It was the same with Assetto Corsa on the console. It has taken ages to convince the developer to give you seat adjustment. Even some games wont give you customizable buttons. It is always crappy presets.

Soldato
The whole 60/30 thing is dependent on the game. Tyler was massively defensive over the whole pc vs xbox thing in the graphics card forum too.

Like anyone else I'd love 60fps constant in all games. But I can also say that Uncharted in 4k 30fps is a stunning experience. Fps games it's important but it's not so important in Rpgs etc.

Justifying £700 quid graphics cards isn't too easy against a console of this standard.

If you're rich enough to buy a 1080ti or something then surely you could just buy a Scorpio too if you wanted. And if you had no intention to do that, then I'm not sure why you would trawl these threads anyway lol.

Caporegime
Going from 4k/30fps to 1080P is not likely to give much more than 30fps anyway because the console is mostly CPU bottlenecked, all it's likely to do is reduce load on the GPU which you could maybe use for FSAA and other visual improvements. If there are games which run 4K/60fps on Scorpio that are only 30fps on PS4 Pro it'll likely be the case that the core engine is not that demanding and the game was GPU bottlenecked on PS4 Pro (yes Scorpio has a much better GPU).

If Microsoft had wanted to target 60fps+ they'd have gone with a Ryzen quad core or better, even a quad core Ryzen would destroy the 8 core Jaguar which is about the equivalent of the Pentium G series (single core performance is far worse because a Jaguar core is about a quarter of the speed of a Pentium G series core), that's where the bottleneck lies mostly. Too many cores with not enough grunt.

Last edited:
Soldato
30fps on a big screen with a console is a far better experience than on a pc if you ask me. Might be some processing going on but I find 30fps fine on console but horrid on PC even in the same games.....

TBH for £450 Xbox one X is a lot of hardware. Yes it could have been better but then it would have been far more expensive and beyond what you would consider a home console. It offers a substantial improvement over the Xbox One S and a chunky advantage over the PS4 Pro in hardware terms.

I just now want the ruddy pre orders to go live so I can order and forget about it until I get my hands on it in November.

Soldato
I don't know about this.

The console itself looks appealing, but yuck. Microsoft.

Plus, with there being no way on this earth I would walk away from the Sony ecosystem, there has to be a line up of particularly good exclusives for me to justify spending £500+ on another console.

And there isn't, so I might as well just buy a 1080ti instead.

Soldato
Lol, amazing how all of a sudden resolution has become unimportant and it has to be 60fps or nothing.

Can't wait for my X to arrive and it will nicely slot in where my S and Kinect is. Full backwards compatibility, Kinect for controlling everything still, atmos and nice silent running makes it the perfect lounge console.

Microsoft have pretty much nailed the all in ONE box this time round.

Soldato
I don't know about this.

The console itself looks appealing, but yuck. Microsoft.

Plus, with there being no way on this earth I would walk away from the Sony ecosystem, there has to be a line up of particularly good exclusives for me to justify spending £500+ on another console.

And there isn't, so I might as well just buy a 1080ti instead.

What exactly is this 'Sony ecosystem' of which you speak?

£500+ :confused:

Caporegime
Lol, amazing how all of a sudden resolution has become unimportant and it has to be 60fps or nothing.

Resolution is important but there comes a point where the benefit isn't as great i.e. I would still take 1080P @ 30 fps over 720P @ 60 fps for example. Personally for myself, 60 fps provides more benefit than the upgrade from 1080P to 4k.

Soldato
I do have an XB1 but 30fps on destiny is difficult to play with for sure and definitely hindered my enjoyment of the game. It does certainly feel slow, stuttery and sluggish. I stopped playing in the end.

I didn't even realise it was locked to 30FPS. I just played the game and enjoyed it, rather than trying to pull it apart technically. Never personally had any of the issues you mentioned either.

Associate
Nope it really isn't. quite laughable when people try to use that as a negative about Sony now days.
i was just going on my experience of it vs xbox. esp regarding download speeds etc. it too me 14 hours to download horizon zero dawn on the ps4 about 5 weeks back yet i managed to download a 60gb game on the x1 in about 90 mins. never understood why it was so rapid on one console and slow as on the other.

Caporegime
it too me 14 hours to download horizon zero dawn on the ps4 about 5 weeks back yet i managed to download a 60gb game on the x1 in about 90 mins. never understood why it was so rapid on one console and slow as on the other.

I find it's the reverse for me. PS4 maxes the connection out but Xbox One potters about at about half speed.

Soldato
typical that is. on the x1 i can do the speed test and everytime it sits around 180-195 mbs whereas my ps4 it can go from 170-25-160-8 and anywhere in between

Never had an issue on either, don't dl games all the time but they are all downloaded in a decent time and thats over wifi. Never had to wait more than 2-3 hrs for a very large file and most smaller sized games are downloaded in no time at all.

Soldato
To be honest, it does seem like the focus has went from resolution wars to frames per second now.

I'm fairly happy with most games on console that use 30fps, I've been a PC gamer for years as well and I thankfully I don't have this adjustment period that people speak of going from 60fps to 30fps.

Lack of exclusives a side, the Xbox One X looks like a great piece of kit and MS certainly took some criticism on board from the X1.

I would have like a Kinnect port on the console for making me buy this useless accessory in the first place but ain't going to happen so hey ho.

Looking forward to playing X1 games at a higher res :)

Soldato
I didn't even realise it was locked to 30FPS. I just played the game and enjoyed it, rather than trying to pull it apart technically. Never personally had any of the issues you mentioned either.

It your used to a higher refresh rate and the option for it then it is frustrating.

Although 60hz with a controller isn't all that bad at a distance.

Soldato
I would much rather have 1080P @ 60 fps over 4k @ 30 fps any day of the week.

So would I, but the push for 4K on consoles means that's now the focus as opposed to using the power to improve actual in-game detail, AI, physics and frame rate. My point is that those other areas shouldn't be sacrificed for the sake of frame rate either. There has to be a balance with each game and sometimes 30fps is what achieves that balance.

Back
Top Bottom