Xbox Scorpio

Soldato
Stop kidding yourself. It's like trying to play a slideshow and is certainly not "nice" or "ok" at any resolution..

To be honest, even a "slide show" can look nice visually so don't really get what you are saying here. You never thought a picture or a painting looked nice?

Also 30fps is not even a slide show, but there are 2 reason why you might want to think this way:

1) You simply don't have a clue

2) You spend so much money on high end GPU's that you must justify it in your mind

There are stacks of games out there that run at 30fps and are completely playable at that rate. The genre certainly plays a part in this as for a first person shooter or driving games my personal preference is 60fps, however on the flip side Battlefield 4 ran on PS4 at 30fps and still got a lot of fun out of it.

Assassins Creed: Black Flag was another good example of a games performance being hindered much with being locked to 30fps and that certainly feels fast paced.

Destiny, again felt excellent and responsive.

If I was to be critical of 30fps then Drive Club springs to mind as an example where they should have dropped eye candy or res for frames.

I'm not disputing that I would prefer 60fps but let's use a little more common sense and far less e-peen when discussing gaming.

Just makes you look like a T**t :)

Soldato
Stop kidding yourself. It's like trying to play a slideshow and is certainly not "nice" or "ok" at any resolution.

I always prefer 60fps, but playing Destiny on the XB1 extensively and found I can manage @ 30fps without too many complaints, quite a few devs have figured out how to do the right post processing to stop it being so jarring.

That in no way means that everything else being equal I wouldn't go for a 60fps version, because I would/do, I tend to double dip on console/PC so I can play with mates on the console but then get a nice campaign mode experience on PC..

Soldato
To be honest, even a "slide show" can look nice visually so don't really get what you are saying here. You never thought a picture or a painting looked nice?

Also 30fps is not even a slide show, but there are 2 reason why you might want to think this way:

1) You simply don't have a clue

2) You spend so much money on high end GPU's that you must justify it in your mind

There are stacks of games out there that run at 30fps and are completely playable at that rate. The genre certainly plays a part in this as for a first person shooter or driving games my personal preference is 60fps, however on the flip side Battlefield 4 ran on PS4 at 30fps and still got a lot of fun out of it.

Assassins Creed: Black Flag was another good example of a games performance being hindered much with being locked to 30fps and that certainly feels fast paced.

Destiny, again felt excellent and responsive.

If I was to be critical of 30fps then Drive Club springs to mind as an example where they should have dropped eye candy or res for frames.

I'm not disputing that I would prefer 60fps but let's use a little more common sense and far less e-peen when discussing gaming.

Just makes you look like a T**t :)

In all honesty once you've experienced anything above 60hz it's hard to go back too and certainly below it.

I do have an XB1 but 30fps on destiny is difficult to play with for sure and definitely hindered my enjoyment of the game. It does certainly feel slow, stuttery and sluggish. I stopped playing in the end.

Considering that's the max point any you may well be seeing drops to 10-20-30 frames in certain areas.

I'm not saying it's impossible to game one. But you should at least be able to choose your preference as to whether you prefer higher refresh or higher res. At this your stuck to 4k30 with no way to change it, which sucks for those who prefer the smoothness.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I have been playing a raft of games at 60fps on PS4 lately like Borderlands 2, The Pre-Sequel, Doom, God of War 3 and then when I booted up Horizon for a quick session, it felt like treacle. It took a short while to get used to it again but it did feel jarring to go back to 30fps.

I honestly cannot see why developers cannot just start their projects at 60fps (minimum) and then work around the fact that that is an attribute that must not be altered. Sacrifice some visual quality if you have to but make it stick to 60fps!

Soldato
Easier to market and sell the shiny graphics than to attempt to explain why 60fps matters.

Plus I imagine the CPU may cause issues on certain engines which could sway the development path right from the get go.

Of course you then get outliers that manage to do both - Titan Fall 2 for example runs at 1440p / locked 60fps on the Pro yet looks stunning.

V F

V F

Soldato
giphy.gif

Stop kidding yourself. It's like trying to play a slideshow and is certainly not "nice" or "ok" at any resolution.

...but they are. Those games can get away with it unlike Quake Champions and such.

Soldato
I honestly cannot see why developers cannot just start their projects at 60fps (minimum) and then work around the fact that that is an attribute that must not be altered. Sacrifice some visual quality if you have to but make it stick to 60fps!

Why should visual quality and detail be sacrificed just to enable a faster framerate though?

Caporegime
Because 30 fps doesn't feel or look nice at all when you're used to 60+ fps, go play a game at 60 fps and then switch to 30 fps, 60+fps is vastly better for the following:

- motion clarity
- responsiveness/feel (it is noticeable even with a controller)
- smoother/less stuttery

Just look at this site (which every "expert" display reviewer uses) that compares everything to do with FPS etc.

http://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates

I would much rather have 1080P @ 60 fps over 4k @ 30 fps any day of the week.

V F

V F

Soldato
Because 30 fps doesn't feel or look nice at all when you're used to 60+ fps, go play a game at 60 fps and then switch to 30 fps, 60+fps is vastly better for the following:

- motion clarity
- smoother/less stuttery

Just look at this site (which every "expert" display reviewer uses) that compares everything to do with FPS etc.

Some games feel odd above 30 the way some developers have coded them. Like some form of soap opera effect as it has made me queasy with it. Unlike the PC.

Soldato
I can cope with 30fps. Once I have been playing at 30 for a bit my eyes adjust. But i really notice it when I come of my PC having played Tribes @120fps then try and play HZD or the witcher 3 on my PS4. Aaargh it actually hurts! For 10 mins at least and then my eyes adjust.

Personally I prefer 60fps up. Thats not any kind of elitism. It just nicrer for me - and factually, as Nexus says, higher fps has definite benefits.

Thats not to say I cant enjoy 30fps games but I think titles on my PS4 that are hitting 60 just play better. They also feel better to play and my eyes seem to cope better after a session at higher fps.

Associate

- motion clarity
- smoother/less stuttery

Ive gone from Forza 6 which is 60fps to Horizon 3 which is 30fps and ive never noticed this difference. I play both games on a regular basis and have no issues getting used to either game after playing the other.

On the other hand i can see the difference between 1080 and 4k.

V F

V F

Soldato
I can cope with 30fps. Once I have been playing at 30 for a bit my eyes adjust. But i really notice it when I come of my PC having played Tribes @120fps then try and play HZD or the witcher 3 on my PS4. Aaargh it actually hurts! For 10 mins at least and then my eyes adjust.

Personally I prefer 60fps up. Thats not any kind of elitism. It just nicrer for me - and factually, as Nexus says, higher fps has definite benefits.

Thats not to say I cant enjoy 30fps games but I think titles on my PS4 that are hitting 60 just play better. They also feel better to play and my eyes seem to cope better after a session at higher fps.

What I find weird now with Quake Champions locked at 144fps for kicks and then come back to 60 that it feels like 30.

Associate
I'm detecting multiple "master race" snobs here lol don't worry guys you don't have to justify paying through the nose for your setup just enjoy it and stop waving them willies lol

Caporegime
It is nothing to do with being snobby, it is simply a fact and from most of the surveys I've seen, even most console users would prefer 60+ fps @ 1080 over 30 fps @ 4k i.e. just one of the many polls:

QnnvB6a.png

And the many videos out there showing the difference:

As I've posted lately in threads, I think consoles are the way to go for just "gaming" over PC now but 30 fps is massively off putting, yes you adapt but that still doesn't change the fact that 60 fps is far superior than 30 fps and for myself and as surveys like the above show, most people would rather have that over 4k.

Some games feel odd above 30 the way some developers have coded them. Like some form of soap opera effect as it has made me queasy with it. Unlike the PC.

Probably just the motion blur settings for games on consoles that gives that soap opera effect, still I rather have that over 30 fps.

V F

V F

Soldato
As I've posted lately in threads, I think consoles are the way to go for just "gaming" over PC now but 30 fps is massively off putting, yes you adapt but that still doesn't change the fact that 60 fps is far superior than 30 fps and for myself and as surveys like the above show, most people would rather have that over 4k.

This feels back to the same as 2006/7 with the PS3. Most console forum members got all giddy with HDMI, 1080p and next gen gaming discussions. 4K will be the key word and wont change. It is like the same thing with broadcast TV packages with all the 4K Ultra stuff but what good is it when the bitrates are low just as the fps is low.

You do adapt to 30fps again though but I still feel when certain developers do it right certain games can feel nice at 30fps.

Probably just the motion blur settings for games on consoles that gives that soap opera effect, still I rather have that over 30 fps.

It is bizarre but I've found if you're just a little bit tired that can have an effect on the queasy feeling from the motion blur. Rise of the Tomb Raider had weird motion at times.

Caporegime
This feels back to the same as 2006/7 with the PS3. Most console forum members got all giddy with HDMI, 1080p and next gen gaming discussions. 4K will be the key word and wont change. It is like the same thing with broadcast TV packages with all the 4K Ultra stuff but what good is it when the bitrates are low just as the fps is low.

You do adapt to 30fps again though but I still feel when certain developers do it right certain games can feel nice at 30fps.

It is bizarre but I've found if you're just a little bit tired that can have an effect on the queasy feeling from the motion blur. Rise of the Tomb Raider had weird motion at times.

Yup no doubt, the "4k" buzz term to the vast majority of average joes is the be all and end all, same is going for HDR now yet the vast majority of TVs aren't actually capable of "true" HDR, no doubt 4k and HDR are fantastic but only when they are done right.

Nope not to me, 30 fps is still 30 fps :p

Motion blur setting makes a big difference to the perception of smoothness, it is great for when games are only capable of 30 fps and you are noticing stutter but that is also why motion blur is the first thing to be turned off on the PC version of games as it is not needed at 60+ FPS and it ruins the improved motion clarity of 60+ FPS.

And that is another disadvantage with 30 fps I find, eye strain, be it from the motion blur causing so much blur or/and the sluggishness or/and the stutter.

Back
Top Bottom