Your bad driving encounters

Man of Honour
I'd say it's becoming more often than not that I'll look in my rear view mirror stopped at lights or a roundabout or similar and the person will be really enjoying staring at their own crotch

One of the lorry drivers at work recently was saying they think it should be an instant 6 months to a year driving ban being caught on the phone - being so high up they see a lot of it and have had a few close calls with vehicles which suddenly slow down in front of them and they can see the person is responding to their phone, etc.

Soldato
One of the lorry drivers at work recently was saying they think it should be an instant 6 months to a year driving ban being caught on the phone - being so high up they see a lot of it and have had a few close calls with vehicles which suddenly slow down in front of them and they can see the person is responding to their phone, etc.
I'd support that. My first 9 years driving my phone went in my back pocket or in the door of the car. Entirely out of reach. Just don't touch it.

Now that I live outside London I have a phone mount and again, don't touch the flipping thing. A handful of times I've waited for an opportunity to touch it to clear a notification blocking the sat nav, or turn brightness up.

It's not hard? I just don't understand why people feel the need.

Man of Honour
89t7YKx.png

Driver claimed they'd forgotten their disabled badge and insisted they were parked properly against the curb (until the second picture appeared) and they'd "checked" that the driveway wasn't in use (they hadn't checked with the owner that it was alright to block it so assume they mean there was no cars parked there).

Soldato

Driving a bus I see it all the time too, although not quite as high riding as trucks.

Reported several taxis drivers to their plated authorities and nowt gets done.

Actually saw a taxi with what appeared to be a 7" tablet strapped to the rear view and was playing something on Youtube. Only the driver on board so not like he could claim it was a passenger watching.

Associate
It is nervy when you see a car behind you where they are busy on their phone in slow moving traffic.

The one that trumps all the phone users for me is the lady driving(?) an Evoque on the M62 while doing her eye lashes at 55 mph. As I was exiting M6 to merge on M62 I noticed her going very slow whereas I would have expected the Evoque to gun it. I did an orbit and that is where I witnessed the eye lash task at hand staring in the vanity mirror.

Some people are beyond help.

Don
Seen the aftermath of somebody going into the back of somebody else in town last night. They must have been doing some speed, at least 30mph as both cars looked like right offs. Probably on their phone as they couldn't have braked at all.

Pair of them (women) just stood there in the literal middle of road remonstrating and making no attempt to actually shift the cars to the side.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Not mine but I saw this on socials the other day and had to laugh at the sheer stupidity of it:

But more on topic, not seen any dodgy driving the last few weeks, I think the nicer weather has changed people :D

Soldato
Absolutely frightening one today & kinda cements in my mind that poor driver training is one of the main causes of the drop in driving standards

Busy city centre road, multiple bus stops over 350metres, used by about 40 different services so heavy on large vehicle traffic.

One bus stops and the learner behind it just swerves out from behind it into the oncoming lane and boots it, into the path of an oncoming bus. Bus slams on and only just misses the learner as it swerves back into it's lane. Instructor must have been completely asleep.

Last edited:
Soldato
Absolutely frightening one today & kinda cements in my mind that poor driver training is one of the main causes of the drop in driving standards

Busy city centre road, multiple bus stops over 350metres, used by about 40 different services so heavy on large vehicle traffic.

One bus stops and the learner behind it just swerves out from behind it into the oncoming lane and boots it, into the path of an oncoming bus. Bus slams on and only just misses the learner as it swerves back into it's lane. Instructor must have been completely asleep.
Did you see if it even was a learner? Or just the instructor taking the ****?

I see some bad driving from solo instructors.

Man of Honour

Or family member using the instructor's car even.

See some terrible driving when people assume a learner car has a learner driving and try to get ahead - even when it isn't the learner driving :s

Man of Honour

See some terrible driving when people assume a learner car has a learner driving and try to get ahead - even when it isn't the learner driving :s
I had it when I was learning to drive, by that point I'd already had my bike licence for a few years and done more miles than a lot of people would manage in a decade so I was perfectly comfortable on the road and didn't dawdle along well under the speed limit or take ten minutes to get up to speed.
Yet people just seen the learner car and thought they could get in front of me at any given opportunity by just going for it not realising I wasn't doing half the limit.

Soldato
I had it when I was learning to drive, by that point I'd already had my bike licence for a few years and done more miles than a lot of people would manage in a decade so I was perfectly comfortable on the road and didn't dawdle along well under the speed limit or take ten minutes to get up to speed.
Yet people just seen the learner car and thought they could get in front of me at any given opportunity by just going for it not realising I wasn't doing half the limit.
I had the same thing for years driving a Smart TBH. I aimed for 85mph on the motorway but some people just had to push me out of the way only to then slow down and I pass them immediately.

Man of Honour
Let a van out of a side road in heavy traffic and was thanked for it, then a bit further up the road was a car in a bit of trouble and the van went out of their way and used their orange light bar to help them out, was nice to see for a change with all the poor driving going on.

Soldato

Young looking person in the driving seat, older person in passenger, hence the assumption of learner/instructor

Unfortunately it's getting frequent that I encounter a learner doing something not in accordance and the instructor not correcting them. A few of my routes take me through residential roads popular with instructors

Man of Honour
Came around a bend to find someone coming the other way about to enter the bend overtaking a cyclist... they then had to pull back in because I was there but still continued to pass the cyclist - they couldn't have been more than inches away from hitting the cyclist and I had to get my speed down quite a bit just in case - unfortunately the sun saturates most of the video so not much to show:

dES1uAU.png

vLTfPZU.png

Completely crazy but you can easily get stuck behind a cyclist for like 4 miles there if they don't let traffic pass and a lot of it hills so they aren't making much speed and that straight before the corner is the only section you can easily pass them for ~2 miles either side so if you don't have a clear chance to pass there you can be stuck for awhile. So I can imagine the driver was maybe getting frustrated.

Coming home just now lots of marks on the road for couple of hundred meters down a hill around a corner and a vehicle sideways across a joining side road which seemed to be missing its roof (didn't look like a convertible) was another car there with its hazards on so hopefully someone was dealing with the incident as I didn't stop. Dunno what happened there but I'm guessing excess speed and turned the vehicle over.

Last edited:
Soldato
People in SUV type vehicles that they can't drive, can't follow lines like a simple roundabout ...or park, hell I'm not sure how they start the things in the first place.

Maybe we need to introduce a new test for the larger cars..

Back
Top Bottom