Your bad driving encounters

You appear to be confusing confidence with being cocksure.

In my mind the way you have described yourself is as a confident and competent driver.

A cocksure driver is one that THINKS they are competent and as such is OVER confident and tends towards idiot manoeuvres such as overtaking multiple vehicles in one move on the approach to a blind bend.

The above happened last week on the A39, white Audi overtook a total of 7 cars around a blind bend. He then had to swerve to avoid the car coming in the opposite direction nearly taking the front off the car in front of me (my Dad) and only just slowing down in time to avoid hitting the back on the tractor/trailer that was causing the hold up (had not been safe to pass tractor up to this point with blind bends and oncoming traffic)

I think you are too narrow in your definition of cocksure. Cocksure also includes anyone who is very very competent and just knows it and shows off. Olympic champion can be cocksure - I'm pretty sure that you can see this in point. So no, is STILL disagree the original post that conflated cocksure with idiot. The 2 notions are Venn diagram of 2 overlapping circles, with parts of the circle outside and exclusive of each other.

All this talk of roundabouts. Seems like going over them has become so common that people are taken by surprise when you actually use them properly. I was approaching a mini-roundabout with exits at ~10 o'clock (left) and ~1 o'clock (right). I'm taking the right exit so indicating right, another car is approaching from the left. They started off by giving way, but when I started heading left to go around the roundabout instead of straight over, they started to pull out and I had to slam on the brakes :cry:

Thats because people dont understand them.

Mini-Roundabouts are designed in this way so larger/longer vehicles can make the turn as their trailer then goes over the roundabout due to how tight a turn it is. Its not designed for cars/vans to go over the top of them.

I think you are too narrow in your definition of cocksure. Cocksure also includes anyone who is very very competent and just knows it and shows off. Olympic champion can be cocksure - I'm pretty sure that you can see this in point. So no, is STILL disagree the original post that conflated cocksure with idiot. The 2 notions are Venn diagram of 2 overlapping circles, with parts of the circle outside and exclusive of each other.

Pretty sure the generally accepted meaning of "cocksure" is overconfidence - i.e. someone who believes they are better at something than they actually are to the point of becoming complacent. Otherwise they would just be called "confident".

Cocksure has never been or intended to imply anything other than overconfidence. It literally means too confident, arrogant, or cocky beyond your ability.

I would say you are cocky for thinking you have some special ability to read the road. I have that same ability but call it common sense. The reality is you or I aren’t special, we just aren’t one of the many idiot drivers on our roads.

Cocksure has never been or intended to imply anything other than overconfidence. It literally means too confident, arrogant, or cocky beyond your ability.

I would say you are cocky for thinking you have some special ability to read the road. I have that same ability but call it common sense. The reality is you or I aren’t special, we just aren’t one of the many idiot drivers on our roads.

Your definition isn't accurate. There's nothing about it being "beyond your ability".

Your definition isn't accurate. There's nothing about it being "beyond your ability".

Lol, if you are cocksure you are also overconfident. It quite literally means you are confident over the actual reality. For example someone can be cocksure or overconfident of their own sense of direction, so they refuse to consult their satnav and hence end up lost. Or they can be so cocksure of victory that they don't even need to practice, and lose.

Their ability did not match ther overconfidence.

Last edited:
Lol, if you are cocksure you are also overconfident. It quite literally means you are confident over the actual reality. For example someone can be cocksure or overconfident of their own sense of direction, that they refuse to consult their satnav and hence end up lost. Or they caon be cocksure of victory that they don't even need to pracitce, and lose.

Their ability did not match ther overconfidence.

Feel free to post a link to the dictionary definitions stating that.

Feel free to post a link to the dictionary definitions stating that.

Cocksure means overconfident

overconfidence​

: an excess of confidence (as in one's abilities or judgment) : confidence that is not justified​

Cocksure means overconfident

overconfidence​

: an excess of confidence (as in one's abilities or judgment) : confidence that is not justified​

That's not a definition of cocksure. Post a dictionary definition of cocksure.

Do you know what a Synonym is? Or am I being overconfident (or cocksure if you will) in your cognitive abilities? Note the questionmark implying a question, as such not an accusation.

It is quite literally in the dictionary listed with the word overconfident in the definition.

British Dictionary definitions for cocksure​

cocksure
/ (ˌkɒkˈʃʊə, -ˈʃɔː) /

adjective
  1. overconfident; arrogant

Last edited:
Do you know what a Synonym is? Or am I being overconfident (or cocksure if you will) in your cognitive abilities? Note the questionmark implying a question, as such not an accusation.

It is quite literally in the dictionary listed with the word overconfident in the definition.

British Dictionary definitions for cocksure​

cocksure
/ (ˌkɒkˈʃʊə, -ˈʃɔː) /

adjective
  1. overconfident; arrogant

There's multiple for you showing no reference to it necessarily being confident beyond ones abilities.

You do understand that a Synonym doesn't have to mean something has the exact same meaning, right? It can have a similar meaning.

Back
Top Bottom