• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Zen 2 Owners Thread!

Associate
Well my 3700x has arrived with the new gigabyte gaming MB. Took an age to boot up as I seemed to have AMD overdrive installed and that caused the dreaded BSOD.
Now it's running but the date is in the future and evertime I get into the bios (which I've updated to the latest) it says the cmos has been reset.
I swapped out the cmos battery but it's made no difference.

Any ideas guys?

oh, and here's aida

eknHqd3
https://imgur.com/eknHqd3

Last edited:
Soldato
so i'll be putting together my rig this weekend:

3900x
msi b450 tomahawk
32 gig 3200 ram (2x16)

i'm not looking to overclock for the time being and ideally want things to be as plug and play as possible as i haven't dabbled with pc's for quite some years. I realise i'll need to update the bios first but aside from that, is there anything I really need to worry about?

TrM

TrM

Associate
Well all my ryZen 3900X build is nearly done although I ran into a major problem whilst putting it back together my acool gigabyte rtx 2080 plexi the part where you put the fittings into is plastic and whilst hand screwing the fittings in. It damages it and wouldn’t seal so I’ve had to buy a replacement port block. I got around it temporally by using the port on the other side and putting the plug in with silicon and screwing down right but instead of redoing my 16mm hard tubing I just used soft tubing from gcard to rad.

My specs are

Amd ryZen 3900X
Msi X570 Meg ace
16gb ddr 3200 cl16 Corsair vengeance pro
Gigabyte rtx 2080 gaming oc at 2100mhz
Wd 1tb nvme ssd
2x 8tb wd hdd
Corsair hx750i
Corsair custom loop with xspc 3600m rad and 240 acool rad
Phanteks elvov x

Here is some pictures of my build I’m loving how it look shame about the 1 soft tubing part but that will be swooped out on Monday :)

https://imgur.com/gallery/ebkxlZc

Associate
Soldato
My 3600X does 4.19 to 4.23ghz when running prime 95 on my MSI tomahawk, (all stock/default settings), memory at 3000mhz, temps are 67c with Corsair 240 AIO
Core voltage arond 1.365v (does fluctuate a bit though)

Just noticed after a while the clocks drop to around 4.125ghz (probably the load changes in prime 95)
Still higher than my old 2600 which would max out at 3.8ghz in prime 95 at roughly the same temps

Just ran cinebench R20, cpu went to 4.15ghz @72c, got 3702 points, that any good?

Last edited:
Soldato
My 3600X does 4.19 to 4.23ghz when running prime 95 on my MSI tomahawk, (all stock/default settings), memory at 3000mhz, temps are 67c with Corsair 240 AIO
Core voltage arond 1.365v (does fluctuate a bit though)

Just noticed after a while the clocks drop to around 4.125ghz (probably the load changes in prime 95)
Still higher than my old 2600 which would max out at 3.8ghz in prime 95 at roughly the same temps

Just ran cinebench R20, cpu went to 4.15ghz @72c, got 3702 points, that any good?

vrm not throttling ?

Associate
I have read it.. I dont use HW to monitor. .also he stated that cpuz shows correctly.. nop not for me.. also even ryzen master shows 1.45+ vcore all the time.. honestly I think it might show real values.. what I want to say.. if it reacts every 1ms for workload, it might actually keep that vcore high.. like literally all the time.. the question is, will it degrade cpu over time? :S
I'm in the same boat with my 3700X. While I'm no stranger to building PC's this is my first Ryzen build and with the tech being new I don't know what behavior to expect. I've got the latest BIOS, drivers and Windows updates but according to Cpuz its drawing 1.356v and Ryzen master says 1.468v and 50c-65c sitting on the desktop doing nothing. I haven't even looked at overclocking, this is with everything left at auto in the BIOS. At first I thought it could be bad thermal paste so I removed the cooler to check but the coverage was good so cleaned up and reapplied but still getting crazy temps. I'm really not sure what to do. Is this expected behavior, are these chips just happy to run hot for performance reasons or have I got a bad chip, a bios problem or driver issues?

3700X + Noctua NH-U12A Cooler
Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE - F4f bios released last night
AMD Chipset Drivers v1.07.07.0725
Gigabyte Chipset 19.10.16
Win 10 1903
AMD Balanced power plan
Example of Ryzen Master showing idle core and temps:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6k0xctfawhj2bg8/Screenshot 2019-07-12 12.49.34.png?dl=0

Associate
I'm in the same boat with my 3700X. While I'm no stranger to building PC's this is my first Ryzen build and with the tech being new I don't know what behavior to expect. I've got the latest BIOS, drivers and Windows updates but according to Cpuz its drawing 1.356v and Ryzen master says 1.468v and 50c-65c sitting on the desktop doing nothing. I haven't even looked at overclocking, this is with everything left at auto in the BIOS. At first I thought it could be bad thermal paste so I removed the cooler to check but the coverage was good so cleaned up and reapplied but still getting crazy temps. I'm really not sure what to do. Is this expected behavior, are these chips just happy to run hot for performance reasons or have I got a bad chip, a bios problem or driver issues?

Win 10 1903
AMD Balanced power plan
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6k0xctfawhj2bg8/Screenshot 2019-07-12 12.49.34.png?dl=0

There's certain some oddity with Ryzan, that's for sure. Mine doesn't seem to throttle down much but is constantly revving it's cores for no apparant reason.

I play CS:GO and if I don't move in it, I'm getting 60fps but move the mouse and it's over 200.

Seems they have some very sensitive settings right now. maybe to compensate for the bios being a bit crap.

Associate

Win 10 1903
AMD Balanced power plan

Do you mind experimenting? Use Windows Power Plan instead (See attached). Not sure if Ryzen Master will over ride it. Also, i think the latest HWINFO 64 can read voltages and temps fine.

https://imgur.com/cS1pcuh

Set minimum processor state to 25%. WARNING: Might make your system unstable.

Associate
Voltages are borked across the park I think. Seen many reviews as well where motherboard stock settings are overvolting the chip and fabric heavily. On auto, master reports some pretty wild voltages I wouldn't expect to be required to obtain boosts to 4200mhz. We wait and see....

Associate
Do you mind experimenting? Use Windows Power Plan instead (See attached). Not sure if Ryzen Master will over ride it. Also, i think the latest HWINFO 64 can read voltages and temps fine.

https://imgur.com/cS1pcuh

Set minimum processor state to 25%. WARNING: Might make your system unstable.
Thanks for the suggestions! I gave the windows balanced plan a try and the temps dropped 10-20c and vcore now fluctuates between 0.98 and 1.465 in HWINFO and 0.862-1.352 in cpuz. Cinebench score went up 200 points too. All the advice I'd seen online was to use the Ryzen Balanced Plan so I set that as soon as I'd installed the drivers.. it seems that wasn't good advice. :D
HWINFO seems to show higher vcores than cpuz but that may be down to what AMD_Robert said on reddit about current tools polling the cpu.

Soldato
Thanks for the suggestions! I gave the windows balanced plan a try and the temps dropped 10-20c and vcore now fluctuates between 0.98 and 1.465 in HWINFO and 0.862-1.352 in cpuz. Cinebench score went up 200 points too. All the advice I'd seen online was to use the Ryzen Balanced Plan so I set that as soon as I'd installed the drivers.. it seems that wasn't good advice. :D
HWINFO seems to show higher vcores than cpuz but that may be down to what AMD_Robert said on reddit about current tools polling the cpu.
As of right now, HWInfo cannot be trusted. CPU-Z supposedly shows idle voltage correctly but I would only use Ryzen Master to check temperature and voltages for now. Also if you're looking to compare scores from benchmark runs, you shouldn't have any monitoring software running because it'll interfere with the result. Do a run with Ryzen Master open to check max temp, clocks, etc. then do another with it closed to get a "proper" score.

Back
Top Bottom