• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Zen 2 Owners Thread!

Associate
Thanks for the suggestions! I gave the windows balanced plan a try and the temps dropped 10-20c and vcore now fluctuates between 0.98 and 1.465 in HWINFO and 0.862-1.352 in cpuz. Cinebench score went up 200 points too. All the advice I'd seen online was to use the Ryzen Balanced Plan so I set that as soon as I'd installed the drivers.. it seems that wasn't good advice. :D
HWINFO seems to show higher vcores than cpuz but that may be down to what AMD_Robert said on reddit about current tools polling the cpu.

Cool. You can also play with Windows plain Balance and 25% minimum processor state. That's what i use for Zen 1 and 1+.

@Dragon there is the latest beta from HWINFO64 but it too does not show cpu temp. Just Tdie but the rest seem legit.

https://imgur.com/hhhK05f

Associate
As of right now, HWInfo cannot be trusted. CPU-Z supposedly shows idle voltage correctly but I would only use Ryzen Master to check temperature and voltages for now. Also if you're looking to compare scores from benchmark runs, you shouldn't have any monitoring software running because it'll interfere with the result. Do a run with Ryzen Master open to check max temp, clocks, etc. then do another with it closed to get a "proper" score.

Indeed, I was just illustrating the difference. :)

Associate
Anyone had this issue?

Sitting at idle, the voltage is sitting at 1.46 constantly on the cpu & at idle I'm sitting at 4.3Ghz. Temps are sitting at 50C and the cooler is going at 2000rpm.

Running the Ryzen Balanced plan as recommended but it doesn't ever seem to clock down

Latest chipset driver installed and windows updated.

Any suggestions?

Soldato
Anyone had this issue?

Sitting at idle, the voltage is sitting at 1.46 constantly on the cpu & at idle I'm sitting at 4.3Ghz. Temps are sitting at 50C and the cooler is going at 2000rpm.

Running the Ryzen Balanced plan as recommended but it doesn't ever seem to clock down

Latest chipset driver installed and windows updated.

Any suggestions?
What are you using to measure the voltage? If it isn't Ryzen Master, that'll be the problem.

Soldato
There's certain some oddity with Ryzan, that's for sure. Mine doesn't seem to throttle down much but is constantly revving it's cores for no apparant reason.

I play CS:GO and if I don't move in it, I'm getting 60fps but move the mouse and it's over 200.

Seems they have some very sensitive settings right now. maybe to compensate for the bios being a bit crap.

Sounds like you have this turned on? Maybe.

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/radeon-software-chill

Associate
If you ain't using ryzen balanced or high performance powerplan the os is not as snappy.

Probably with Ryzen 3000. But in my experience with Ryzen 1 and 1+, it is just as snappier compared to High performance plan. Although, High and setting the minimum processor state to 25% causes the cpu and the voltage to downclock just the same and get a cooler running cpu (Gen 1 and 1+). Latter though shows lower ST benchmarks for some reason.

Soldato
Got a 3900x installed into my Crosshair VI. Getting the BIOS to update was a pig and a half, though I had bricked the board at one point but was saved by no CPU BIOS update thingy.

Just ran Cinebench r20 and it was boosting to about 4.1GHz at stock speeds and got a score inline with most of the reviews.

I've pulled the voltage down to 1.3, from the 1.45 it was at stock, and enabled 3200MHz XMP but is there anything else I should quickly do before some more in depth tinkering over the weekend? what monitoring software is everyone using?

Soldato
Got a 3900x installed into my Crosshair VI. Getting the BIOS to update was a pig and a half, though I had bricked the board at one point but was saved by no CPU BIOS update thingy.

Just ran Cinebench r20 and it was boosting to about 4.1GHz at stock speeds and got a score inline with most of the reviews.

I've pulled the voltage down to 1.3, from the 1.45 it was at stock, and enabled 3200MHz XMP but is there anything else I should quickly do before some more in depth tinkering over the weekend? what monitoring software is everyone using?

Turn on PBO, should be under AMD CBS settings if there isnt already a seperate menu.

Associate
Im probably going to build mine tomorrow and compare it to my 7940x rig.

So wait. I have to go into the bios and reduce the voltage down to 1.3 regardless?

Raz

Raz

Soldato
Just put in a 3600 in my ab350 and it eventually booted into windows - all windows/bios/chipset updates already installed.

Ryzen Master wouldn't load, apparently it doesn't support the processor - is there a different one to use? (I downloaded it earlier today from AMD).

Should everything be auto in bios?

Soldato
Yeah I tried PBO and all it did was raise average clocks during a Cinebench R20 run rise by 10 MHz, in exchange for a 6 C rise in core temp. No thanks!

I've instead tried setting VCore to -0.1 V offset and it's had a slight positive impact. Average clock speed has risen from 4.095 to 4.135 GHz and peak temperature dropped from 69.0 to 66.5 degrees. Score increased by 1.2%. The weird thing is though that Ryzen Master reports the voltage as being higher than before during the test (1.3875 instead of 1.3375 V at stock).

I also realised that one of my CPU fans was always running full pelt regardless of what I was telling it to do in the BIOS. This meant one of my CPU fans was always running at 100% while the other was varying under load. Not sure if that would affect cooling performance but I've now added a resistor to the "broken" one so it always runs at ~1100 RPM and I've fixed the other one to the fastest I can run it before I can hear it.

Back
Top Bottom