US ELECTION RESULTS THREAD...

Permabanned
Isn't the American Dream that you can achieve anything if you are willing to work hard at it? By that definition isn't Obama the epitimy of that dream? One can say he doesn't have the easiest of starts with divorced parents, moved around the country, mother died young, brought up by grandmother, then manage to get himself into Columbia University, and then Harvard Law School, Editior of Harvard Law Review and then President of Harvard Law review. Now he is on the brink of getting into the White House.

That alone is an achievement for anyone, the fact that he is mixed race (or black as the media and most people put it) is all the more incredible. born in the middle of the civil rights movement in the US, a time where you are made to sit in the back of the bus because of your skin colour, can't eat in the same resturant as others because you are not white. In the space of 1 generation he is this close of making it, you can't not have nothing but respect for that.

I said it before, if people can't decide which candidate to vote because they don't agree with either's policy, at least vote for the smart one. Surely you want your leader to be smarter than the average Joe 6 pack.

yes,it pretty amazing what this guy have achieved in life ,until now
specially coming from that background from where he comes

If him wins it,we could say " only in America" - and that time this means something in a good way:)

Soldato
That's down to technology and a general shift in mass consciousness. It's not down to politicians and governments.

Yeah i mean think about it, governments potentially have the power to make massive changes for the better or worse but on the whole its same old same old with slight variation over time and its mostly outside influences that get them to actually do anything different.

Man of Honour
The Americans sure can be a strange set of people.

I watch with interest the furore that some people have shown with the prospect of a black man running the most powerful nation on earth. The thought of a non white in the Oval Office sends fear and anger down the backs of the redneck brigade but on the other hand, consider that there have been black people in positions of power in the US for many years without a problem such as Colin Powell ( USAF General ), Condoleeza Rice ( Secretary of State for foreign affairs ) and there are a multitude of black people in high positions of the military and police departments.

Although I'm sure that nothing runs entirely smoothly, the above people just get on with it without too much interference from the white nationalist movements and if they just raised their bar a few centimetres, they might just grasp that the colour of someone's skin is only a bar in the mind of ignorance.

I personally like Senator Obama and believe he can be the change he says he can be, and what Americans seem to want, after 8 awful years of the Bush Administration.

Soldato
That's down to technology and a general shift in mass consciousness. It's not down to politicians and governments.

Yeah, so the Marshall plan was not engineered by politicians, it was the people who can barely spell 'economics' :rolleyes: Yalta conference was not attended by politicians, it was all the people in the world :rolleyes: Gorbachev dissolved the Soviet Union after large protests by the people, did he? :rolleyes: Lincoln listened to all the happy citizens of the Union before abolishing slavery, did he? :rolleyes:

Change in society through politicians and governments is far more prevalent than people-led change. People will only induce change in extreme conditions. Otherwise, government policy shapes and focuses change factors.

Soldato
You're not going to win against a guy who thinks he can telepathically move items with the power of his mind. Just a FYI.

Associate
You're not going to win against a guy who thinks he can telepathically move items with the power of his mind. Just a FYI.

At some point he'll come to understand that truth is an elusive thing, and almost certainly does not rest in the hands of conspiracy theorists. I hope so, anyway. Most of us came to this conclusion when we were about 14... perhaps he will too.

Caporegime
I am fully expecting Obama to win by a mile, lets just hope that he lives up to the hype and all the media "change" billing.

I don't think it's the media who is pushing the "change" message, his own campaign itself is. But then again, McCain is also pushing the "change" message himself as much as Obama. Every speech he goes on about how he is going to "change how things are done in Washington"

Back
Top Bottom