Poll: Poll: should the UK ban the islamic veil?

Sould the UK ban the Islamic veil as the French did?

• Yes, ban the veil in the UK

Votes: 688 64.9%
  • Don't like the veil, but a ban is not the right approach

Votes: 255 24.1%
  • No

Votes: 117 11.0%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
Ban it, don't ban it. Seems pretty binary to me.

It was more 'rights abused by the husband'/'rights abused by the state' that aren't the only two options.

If they are unable to find the courage not to wear the veil do you honestly think they will find the sometimes considerable courage needed to leave such a relationship and probably community?

If we knew the answers to that, we could help a lot of people, male and female, across a wide cross section of society. It isn't a muslim problem.

FWIW I don't think the ban is the right way of doing things but I do not like the veil at all and what it represents. Not to mention it is frankly rude and disrespectful to the wider community to cut yourself off from it so visibly.

I don't like a great many things, but my opinion should be meaningless when it comes to the rights of others.

Soldato
well i disagree strongly since i believe it empowers them by making them integrate with society more, and wearing a burkha does not let you integrate into western society. also let me point out that the Koran does not require women to wear the burkha only a radical form of islam does, and as i have said before this radical islam is incompatible with western values.

Integrate with society more? You mean get trapped in the house. I don't particularly care what the Koran says, its about what these people believe. If the koran had said a veil should be worn and hence becomes part of orthodox islam, does it suddenly become okay. Or does orthodox islam = radical islam, because of the wearing of a veil.

may i remind those that speak of freedoms, there we have freedom up to a point. we have laws so running around in the street naked is not tolerated, more to the point we have laws guaranteeing women's statutes.

Being naked is simple to define. What if all these women start wearing balaclavas in public. What you going to do then? Are men allowed to wear veils?

Soldato
OH DUDE I think we really need to lol put that in the op to makesure people understand that difference.

The burka is definately a little different to the Hijab.

Burka = more limiting.

Hijab while it covers the face you dont have to cover your face wearing it.

With the burka you cannot do that.

Clarify that in the op.

You dont see people in the UK in burkas pretty much period lol.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
If we knew the answers to that, we could help a lot of people, male and female, across a wide cross section of society. It isn't a muslim problem.

I didn't say it was, but in this context it is. Though to be fair the French law is agnostic, it would stop anyone else wearing an islamic veil too. Much like the Swiss law was against anyone building a minaret. :D

I don't like a great many things, but my opinion should be meaningless when it comes to the rights of others.

Did you miss the bit were I said I don't agree with the ban? I was not asking for my opinion to be considered when oppressing or not oppressing the rights of others, I was just expressing it. I voted for the middle option.

Permabanned
Let me just educate you lot.

A BURKA is different from a HIJAB.

What you see women in OUR country wearing is a HIJAB.

A burka is what you see in Afganistan mainly. The purple horrible looking veil

A hijab is full length suit which if the women chooses it covers the face.
If not then they dont but it is different in that you have that freedom with it.

The burka is different.

Just so you can call it a hijab because that is what were talking about in the UK.

Shall we educate you instead.

A Hijab is actually a headscarf, not a veil.

The Niqab is the veil we commonly see in the UK among those muslim women who wear them. The Burka is the entire body covering garment.

There are also different syles of headscarf called the Al-Amira which comes with a two piece veil and accompianing scarf. The Shayla is a headscarf without a veil which is common in the Gulf-states. There is the Khimar which covers the hair, neck and body above the waist, but leaves the face clear and the Chador worn by Iranian women which is a full body cloak, again with the face clear.

If you are going to 'educate' people then get it right. :rolleyes:

http://www.apologeticsindex.org/505-muslim-veils-hijab-burqa

Last edited:
Soldato
Okay im talking about the black one its not the same as the purple one and you dont we see people wearing the black one over here in the UK.

lol -_- look dont pick on my post and act like im some dumb twit correct me but dont be a complete bint about it.

Associate
If the husband believes that his wife should not be gazed upon by other men. A veil is now not allowed, how will this woman get permission to leave the house?

That is why I believe they need to adapt to be acceptable to society here instead... As I stated many times in this thread, there is no such thing as compelete freedom, so either accept it even if you hate it or go somewhere else where it will be acceptable.

Soldato
OP
By the tone I thought it was about banning Muslims...:p

although not in favour of a ban for the burkha, i would be in favour of a ban of radical islam, radical christians, radical jews or any other radical religion. I am agnostic and can live with religion but can't deal with extremist nutters of any religion or doctrine

Permabanned
although not in favour of a ban for the burkha, i would be in favour of a ban of radical islam, radical christians, radical jews or any other radical religion. I am agnostic and can live with religion but can't deal with extremist nutters of any religion or doctrine

Trying to ban any kind of extreme ideology is impossible, people believe what they want regardless of whether the State allows it or not. In fact a ban will probably encourage radicalism especially among young rebellious men.

Man of Honour

I know the feeling, it's one of the reasons why people like Fred Phelps, Abu Hamza and Richard Dawkins annoy me so much. Extremists unable or unwilling to ever consider that they could be wrong, or to understand the sheer amount of assumption and belief underpinning their views...

Back
Top Bottom