• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

DirectX 12

Caporegime
Your talking about Origin on SteamOS, i'm talking about Linux. how did you come to use an unrelated subject to counter my argument? what?

Linux and SteamOS, two different things, round peg -

I wasn't actually talking about SteamOS, it was a side snippet. SteamOS being a linux distro. A lot of people who mention moving to Linux for gaming, their distro of choice would be SteamOS, sure it might not be yours, might not be mine, but SteamOS is seen as the gamers Linux Distro.
Although Linux and SteamOS are absolutely not 2 different things.

And your post had absolutely nothing to do with my rebuttal (Probably because you can't counter it, which is unsurprising)

Caporegime
The argument is "money talks" and evidentially EA's spite talks more.

I can kind of understand them doing that in this instance though. They both use the same OS, so if you want that particular game you just have to use the particular client. It's not really a big issue for the everyday gamer, just an inconvenience at most. For EA it ensures people have to use their client, thus making it more popular and Origin is now quite well established. I can see them bringing it to Linux/SteamOS if it takes off.

Caporegime
The argument is "money talks" and evidentially EA's spite talks more.

There is a steam client in Linux, (Not SteamOS, Linux) the same one that you get in Windows, its been there for a long time, what are they going to do when and if Origin move in to Linux (Note: Linux, not SteamOS) are Steam going to move out? will the Steam Client stop Origin from Moving in to Linux? No.

Caporegime
There is a steam client in Linux, (Not SteamOS, a steam client) the same one that you get in Windows, its been there for a long time, what are they going to do when and if Origin move in to Linux (Note: Linux, not SteamOS) are Steam going to move out? will the Steam Client stop Origin from Moving in to Linux? No.

I'm very aware there's a Steam client to run on Linux Distros.

Look, I can see you're just going to try and ramble and going off on tangents to avoid the fact you're unable to actually counter my points (Which is very evident by you focusing on a tiny side snippet). I'll let you off the hook.

Soldato
Linux and steamos two different things? LOL do your homework.

Steamos is built on the LINUX kernel and based on the Debian distro, its about as linux as linux gets.

Steamos is essentially a desktop environment like KDE or gnome.

Worst. Comment. Ever.

Caporegime
I'm very aware there's a Steam client to run on Linux Distros.

Look, I can see you're just going to try and ramble and going off on tangents to avoid the fact you're unable to actually counter my points (Which is very evident by you focusing on a tiny side snippet). I'll let you off the hook.

You haven't made a point yet, your dancing around like a fish out of water. make a point. i'm still trying to figure out what your actually saying.

Caporegime
I can kind of understand them doing that in this instance though. They both use the same OS, so if you want that particular game you just have to use the particular client. It's not really a big issue for the everyday gamer, just an inconvenience at most. For EA it ensures people have to use their client, thus making it more popular and Origin is now quite well established. I can see them bringing it to Linux/SteamOS if it takes off.

I don't disagree with you, but it's EA, rational logic goes out of the window.

Caporegime

Right :) it would be no different to Origin and the Steam Client Co-existing in Windows, Steam have their Client in Linux because Valve have several OpenGL games.

Origin have nothing that runs on Linux so they have no reason to be on Linux, that will change the instant if and when they do.

Caporegime
Origin have nothing that runs on Linux so they have no reason to be on Linux, that will change the instant if and when they do.

Not strictly true if we take nothing literally.
Because of SteamOS, some games are getting ported ; Witcher 2 (By extension should work on other Distro's) and that's on Origin.

Origin doesn't just have EA games on.

I haven't checked for other examples there could be a few more, I just saw Witcher 2 on SteamOS being advertised and checked Origin.
And Darksiders 1 is coming to Linux (I know this because Boom's latest post in his SteamOS thread) and that's again on Origin.

Caporegime
Not true.
Because of SteamOS, some games are getting ported ; Witcher 2 (By extension should work on other Distro's) and that's on Origin.

Origin doesn't just have EA games on.

I haven't checked for other examples there could be a few more, I just saw Witcher 2 on SteamOS being advertised and checked Origin.

SteamOS is Linux, not Linux is SteamOS, SteamOS is built on Linux, an Open Source platform, what they do with Linux to make it SteamOS has to be open ended to keep within the rules of using Open Source, in other words SteamOS is Linux, there is never any back end distinction, whatever SteamOS do to port this and that to work in SteamOS then works in Linux.

Last edited:
Caporegime
SteamOS is Linux, not Linux is SteamOS, SteamOS is built on Linux, an Open Source platform, what they do with Linux to make it SteamOS has to be open ended to keep within the rules of using Open Source, in other words SteamOS is Linux, there is never any back end distinction, whatever SteamOS do to port this and that to work in SteamOS then works in Linux.

That's not a rebuttal.
And I'm not getting confused, I'm aware that SteamOS is just a Linux Distro.

Again, going off on a tangent because you can't debate for toffee.

It's a good thing I gave you one.

Caporegime
Then is saying "Not true" what exactly are you disagreeing with in going on about game porting?

This is not true ;

Origin have nothing that runs on Linux

There are games on Origin that do run on Linux ; Witcher 2 (Advertised as SteamOS, by extension works on other Distro's, like I said)

There's a few other games too, the reason behind the porting to Linux is more down to the push from Valve's Distro. That Distro being SteamOS.

TL : DR. You said there's no games on Origin which run on Linux. That is incorrect.

Caporegime
This is not true ;

There are games on Origin that do run on Linux ; Witcher 2 (Advertised as SteamOS, by extension works on other Distro's, like I said)

There's a few other games too, the reason behind the porting to Linux is more down to the push from Valve's Distro. That Distro being SteamOS.

TL : DR. You said there's no games on Origin which run on Linux. That is incorrect.

Then i will rephrase it, no Games by EA run on Linux, Origin is EA's client, they may have some games by other publishers, the point i made was Origin, by extension EA; have no reason to be on Linux, when and if they do that will change.
The point is the same being anally descriptive or not.

Caporegime
Then i will rephrase it, no Games by EA run on Linux, Origin is EA's client, they may have some games by other publishers, the point i made was Origin, by extension EA; have no reason to be on Linux, when and if they do that will change.
The point is the same being anally descriptive or not.

No you just changed the goal posts.

But as far as I can see, you're correct regarding EA and no Linux support.

Caporegime
No you just changed the goal posts.

But as far as I can see, you're correct regarding EA and no Linux support.

Thats Interesting.

If you genuinely though i "just changed the goal posts" then what did you think i was talking about when i said Origin will move into Linux as soon as it finds a profit in it; if not for selling EA's games in it?

Associate
No Linux distribution will take off any time soon for gaming, not even SteamOS. Has anyone here actually used any Linux distro extensively? A lot of you are acting like they are the utopia for gaming environments...

They still have issues, and because they aren't tied to any one company - those issues take more time to get fixed than an issue with Windows or MacOS.

Personally, I'm not really a fan of many Linux distributions - I mainly just use them for certain bits of university work which require features specific to a Linux distro. I wouldn't want to switch my main computers over to a Linux distro, neither for gaming nor for my main work.

Back
Top Bottom