• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

DirectX 12

Caporegime
Thats Interesting.

If you genuinely though i "just changed the goal posts" then what did you think i was talking about when i said Origin will move into Linux as soon as it finds a profit in it; if not for selling EA's games in it?

I thought you were making another incorrect blanket statement, it's not an uncommon occurrence.

To say "There's nothing on Origin (Origin just being EA's platform like Steam is Valves) that runs on Linux" should be taken as it's posted.

To change that to "There's no EA games on Origin which run on Linux" is changing the goal posts.

I'd leave it now Humbug, don't keep digging.

Caporegime
No Linux distribution will take off any time soon for gaming, not even SteamOS. Has anyone here actually used any Linux distro extensively? A lot of you are acting like they are the utopia for gaming environments...

They still have issues, and because they aren't tied to any one company - those issues take more time to get fixed than an issue with Windows or MacOS.

Personally, I'm not really a fan of many Linux distributions - I mainly just use them for certain bits of university work which require features specific to a Linux distro. I wouldn't want to switch my main computers over to a Linux distro, neither for gaming nor for my main work.

I tried SteamOS.
Then reinstalled Windows.

Caporegime
No Linux distribution will take off any time soon for gaming, not even SteamOS. Has anyone here actually used any Linux distro extensively? A lot of you are acting like they are the utopia for gaming environments...

They still have issues, and because they aren't tied to any one company - those issues take more time to get fixed than an issue with Windows or MacOS.

Personally, I'm not really a fan of many Linux distributions - I mainly just use them for certain bits of university work which require features specific to a Linux distro. I wouldn't want to switch my main computers over to a Linux distro, neither for gaming nor for my main work.

its not as refined as Windows or MacOS i admit, but it has a lot of potential, a lot more than Windows and especially MacOS.
It just needs someone to give it the love and attention it deservers, once it gets that it could be the best thing for PC enthusiasts ever.
Once and if it gets even a fraction of the mainstream gaming communities attention that attention will be focused on making it all it could be. :)

Soldato
i swear this is not about AMD or Mantle, stop deflecting, can't you have a discusiion about a topic without trying to make it an argument red VS green ?
You mentioned mantle yourself in the post he quoted :confused:

Dear me this will just spiral out of control as usual, AlamoX give us some proof to back up these made up percentages/dates instead of just talking guff.
what post are you talking about ? i dont recall bringing Mantle up at all

Let me help you out then:
you see thats the probleme with you, i am talking about how microsoft could prevent all of us from benefiting from DX12, even if i get windows 9, and it has DX12, it will not be adopted by devs because the user base would be fragmented between 7,8, and 9, the DRM rumored about windows 9 will make it even harder to finish the migration toward 9, making windows 7 stick around even longer, and DX12 user base evolving even slower, resulting of me and you and the rest of us buying windows 9 for DX12, while devs keep developing on DX11, because they dont give a crap about 15-20% user base.
windows 8 being lighter on resources doesnt change the fact that 0 game uses DX11.2, because win 8 have around 6% user base.
but you feel my argument is hiding something about Mantle and AMD, and you just can't help yourself but to deflect to AMD, what can i say suit yourself.

Also how is comparing DirectX and Mantle a Red vs. Green argument? In case you're not sure aware, Red vs. Green is when you're arguing AMD vs. Nvidia. DirectX isn't 'Green'.
Or did you realise all this but decided to start an argument rather than make a point?

I can kind of understand them doing that in this instance though. They both use the same OS, so if you want that particular game you just have to use the particular client. It's not really a big issue for the everyday gamer, just an inconvenience at most. For EA it ensures people have to use their client, thus making it more popular and Origin is now quite well established. I can see them bringing it to Linux/SteamOS if it takes off.

The trouble with Linux currently is that the games that currently run on it are quite limited (do a search in Steam, it's not hard). This would be your back catalogue if you moved to Linux as a gaming platform. Currently no Origin games (that aren't on Steam) work on Linux I believe? Thief doesn't support Linux at the minute.
So you sort of have a Chicken and the Egg situation. Which goes first does Thief/BF4 port to Linux and then add in Mantle when it comes, hoping that the fact they've moved will give AMD a reason to port Mantle? Or does Mantle go first and then hope that once it works on Linux that DICE will go back and port BF4 (it'll still take some effort to port, even with Mantle)?
The other thing is Mantle only currently supports the latest AMD GPUs, so again it doesn't seem like Mantle can be the only API they use to code the game. If you drew a Venn diagram to find all the Linux using AMD 7000 series or later owners I imagine it'd be a pretty small percentage of gamers. People aren't going to want to go to that effort to port a game for that few people. On top of that they'll only get money from those people that don't already own the game, unless they charge for it all over again.
So the point is they need to code the games for another API (as well as Mantle) to cover everyone else. The obvious answer looks to be OpenGL. But OpenGL already exists and works in Linux and support Nvidia, Intel and AMD cards. So if the developers wanted to they could already port their games to Linux and take advantage of all the gamers on Linux (not just the AMD 7000 series and later gamers on Linux). I'm not entirely sure why having to move the game to Mantle as well as OpenGL is going to make them more keen to do so?

And to try to bring it back to sorta being on topic...
I see this a bit like Nvidia with Mantle. For a lot of users it'd be easier if we just had Steam and didn't also have to use Origin, UPlay and the like. But these companies see something in having their own digital distribution platform. UPlay is a little different but Valve and EA have made their games exclusive to their platform, in spite of the fact they may get more games sales if they were available on both (I know friends that refuse to buy BF3 because it required Origin, but they bought BFBC2 on Stream). I suspect they both fear that letting their games be sold on their competitors platform will strengthen their competitors foothold.
I suspect this is where Nvidia (and possibly Intel) are coming from if they don't support Mantle, they don't want to strengthen AMD's position. You can call it pride, but they're businesses, not helping out your competition seems like a fundamental principle.
Now Nvidia don't have their own version (that we know of) but that doesn't mean they want to strengthen AMD's position. That's where DirectX comes in. Microsoft is not a competitor to Nvidia and Intel (arguably it is to AMD with the whole Mantle vs. Direct3D thing) so it makes sense to support them.

Direct3D 12 is hopefully gonna be the game changer. Games have to be written with the industry standard API in mind, which is not Mantle and without Nvidia support is unlikely to ever be Mantle. So at the minute games have to work with DirectX 11, they can also work with Mantle but it is still bound by the limits of Direct3D 11. Hopefully Direct3D 12 can come along and take over from Direct3D 11 quickly meaning that games can be written to make use of what Direct3D 12 can do. I'm sure most of this can be done by Mantle too, or Mantle2 or whatever, but I can't see these things really changing until DirectX 12 is released. So from that point of view Direct3D 12 will hopefully be one of the biggest changes to PC gaming in a while.

Caporegime
Well I can't see it happening, nor do I want it to happen. Moving over to Linux would mean games based on OpenGL which in turn means that we'd have to rely on the infamous Khronos group. No thank you.

Not necessarily, Bear with me on this.

If AMD move Mantle into Linux then they are investing in Linux, Nvidia will not want to let AMD run rampant, they will not want to let AMD gain a dominant foothold in a new space, especially if they are taking the mainstream gaming market with them, which if they are taking Mantle into that space; they are.

What that means is Nvidia will follow AMD in right behind them, what we have then is a development rivalry in Linux, as a result Linux will benefit, the Khronos group will not know whats hit them as these two development giants rip Linux to pieces to sort it out.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Valve are already sorting it out? Heck, valve are already working on the api and back catalogue issues mentioned above.

What'd you mean valve are working on the API, what API?
And it's not Valve's problem to fix, most of Valves (If not all?) games work on Linux, apart from paying developers to port their games to Linux, I don't see what Valve can do really to fix the backlog?

Caporegime
I think he means Valve are working on that API for easy porting to OGL. It would certainly behoove them as the Steam catalogue is mostly Windows.

edit: http://beta.slashdot.org/story/199253

Agh yeah, I remember that.
Again, short of Valve paying people to port, it won't make people port their game.
I think the future will see more Linux ports though.

Soldato
The DX to ogl translation SDK is free and supposed to be very easy to use, valve already use a less generic version to move things between their various source engine games. It's a step in the right direction.

Valve don't need to pay anyone, they'd simply wave steamos on their faces on the promise of more sales.

Soldato
Not necessarily, Bear with me on this.

If AMD move Mantle into Linux then they are investing in Linux, Nvidia will not want to let AMD run rampant, they will not want to let AMD gain a dominant foothold in a new space, especially if they are taking the mainstream gaming market with them, which if they are taking Mantle into that space; they are.

What that means is Nvidia will follow AMD in right behind them, what we have then is a development rivalry in Linux, as a result Linux will benefit, the Khronos group will not know whats hit them as these two development giants rip Linux to pieces to sort it out.

That there scenario you just played out is never going to happen

Caporegime
I know Humbug's posts are usually flawed, but I didn't actually take his post to mean Nvidia taking up Mantle (Meaning, I don't think he said that). More working with KG.

Not that I think it'll all work out like that, but that's not the point.

EDIT : Nice Ninja :p

Caporegime
Word on the street is Windows 9 will be a free upgrade for Windows 8 users :cool:

Also, Windows 7 is now 5 years old and I would be very surprised if they add DX12 support for it and why should they? Microsoft are a business and out to make money.

Back
Top Bottom