2013 Haswell Retina MacBook Pro...

Soldato
BootCamp installs drivers for the keyboard and ambient light sensor (next to the iSight camera).

Ahh just put my hand over the camera and the keyboard lit up and the screen dimmed.

Still learning.. :)

It only does it in Windows though it's on all the time in OSX. There must be a setting I have missed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Fn+F5/F6 alter the backlight brightness. The light sensor then automatically adjusts it from there.

It seems to come on then go off after a few seconds. Pushing fn + f5 or f6 gives me a cross over the scale. If I put my hand over the camera it comes back on then can be adjusted ?

Sure it's just a setting or my Logitech set point software interfering.

Soldato
A cross means it's disabled the backlight as it's plenty bright enough. Could be some sort of software snafu tho.

It sounds that way tbh.

I'm loving the fact that PC gaming on a MacBook has been less hassle than on my Asus G750JZ gaming laptop. I can play Grid Autosport and Diablo on the Mac fullscreen....

:D

Soldato
Are these things meant to get this hot ? I'm a bit concerned mine is faulty as it gets seriously hot. It gets far to hot to put on your lap.

Is this normal ? As it is an all metal case I suppose it is designed to use the case to conduct heat away....

Apart from that it's great...:)

Soldato
Are these things meant to get this hot ? I'm a bit concerned mine is faulty as it gets seriously hot. It gets far to hot to put on your lap.

Is this normal ? As it is an all metal case I suppose it is designed to use the case to conduct heat away....

Apart from that it's great...:)

I've noticed that Apple favours noise over heat, my laptop hits 90c at times while the fan is still below 2k RPM. I manual controller it myself.

I play a few games on it and it hits 90c+ all the time, but its not hugely different then my gaming laptop. Its a small machine that will produce a lot of heat so its too be expected, I wouldn't worry to much.

I use smcFanControl app and have profiles, e.g. I keep it at 2k all the time (its still silent but gives me better cooling then 1k rpm). I keep it at 3k when I'm at work since I have 2 VMs, Photoshop, IDEs, xdebug and all sorts of things running. When I want to game i move it to max which is 6k RPM.

Have to also keep in mind that it is metal so it will feel much warmer/hotter then a plastic laptop.

Soldato
Thinking about getting a 15" rMBP to replace my Mac Mini (so if I want to take the computer anywhere I can, if I want to hook it up to a bigger display and use it like a desktop I can).

I'm guessing it's probably a better idea in terms of value for money to go for a Refurb 2013 model over the new 2014 ones since the spec bump has been relatively modest, although I'd want the maxed out RAM (which generally means it has upgraded other stuff like storage and/or the GPU).

Soldato
Thinking about getting a 15" rMBP to replace my Mac Mini (so if I want to take the computer anywhere I can, if I want to hook it up to a bigger display and use it like a desktop I can).

I'm guessing it's probably a better idea in terms of value for money to go for a Refurb 2013 model over the new 2014 ones since the spec bump has been relatively modest, although I'd want the maxed out RAM (which generally means it has upgraded other stuff like storage and/or the GPU).

If you find a 2013 refurb with the ram you need then go for it. The difference is not even worth it to be honest.

Soldato
That's what I thought. The only thing with the 2013's is the ones with 16GB were the specced-up model so they tend to be priced not too far off what the stock 15" now goes for most of the time, bar the odd exception (which is what I look out for!).

Soldato
I've noticed a dead pixel on my 15" rMBP. :(

I've booked an appointment for Saturday but how are Apple with this? Will they just swap the screen there and then? How long does it normally take?
I had a dead pixel on mine whilst it was still covered by applecare (mid 2012 version rMBP), they said there has to be at least 2 dead pixels to warrant the replacement of the screen.

I ended up dropping mine accidentally when the screen was open which led to the screen going incredibly wobbly, managed to get the screen replaced because of this, hence fixing the dead pixel. Would've cost circa £480 iirc otherwise.

Soldato
my 13" Macbook pro retina 2.6ghz / 16gb / 256gb is enroute from Shanghai now according to UPS!

I need a few windows apps for work, am I better looking at parallels or fusion? Mainly office 2013 really, the mac version doesn't cut the mustard.

Also, what slip cases is everybody using?

Soldato
I had a dead pixel on mine whilst it was still covered by applecare (mid 2012 version rMBP), they said there has to be at least 2 dead pixels to warrant the replacement of the screen.

I ended up dropping mine accidentally when the screen was open which led to the screen going incredibly wobbly, managed to get the screen replaced because of this, hence fixing the dead pixel. Would've cost circa £480 iirc otherwise.

Aww, that would be ridiculously annoying, it's right in the middle of the screen. They really should replace it!

If they don't I'll have to mention some other intermittent fault.

Soldato
my 13" Macbook pro retina 2.6ghz / 16gb / 256gb is enroute from Shanghai now according to UPS!

I need a few windows apps for work, am I better looking at parallels or fusion? Mainly office 2013 really, the mac version doesn't cut the mustard.

Also, what slip cases is everybody using?

Parallels is pretty awesome I would recommend that.

Back
Top Bottom