US: Marvel & Netflix - Daredevil

Caporegime
I'm trying to work out the point of the Foggy and Karen characters. Admittedly it's only episode 5 but apart from her being the case in the first episode there seems no real point to her or him.

Daredevil's character differs to most other superhero in that his alter ego Matt Murdoch is a lawyer which gives rise to another opportunity for a line of story line against the bad guys all on its own. As we all know, legal dramas can be great with the right story line.

Foggy and Karen falls into that side of the story line I guess.

Soldato
Daredevil's character differs to most other superhero in that his alter ego Matt Murdoch is a lawyer which gives rise to another opportunity for a line of story line against the bad guys all on its own. As we all know, legal dramas can be great with the right story line.

Foggy and Karen falls into that side of the story line I guess.

I do love a good legal drama. They should sack Foggy and get Jack McCoy in.

Caporegime
Also, where as Tony Stark serves to give ironman a reason for all his money and research into tech, Tony Stark's character itself doesn't evolve nor have much if a storyline.

Same goes for say, Batman even, Bruce Wayne is just a vehicle to allow batman to have all that money. Sure, they give the character it's origin but once it go there, the alter ego to both ironman and batman don't really do much.

Arrow is another good example, Oliver McQueen is anothe rich guy. All of these superheroes saves their crime fighting to their superhero side but not their day job.

Matt Murdoch actually can do some good with or without his mask.

Caporegime
Karen's role is pretty key to the story later on, and Foggy is there as the friend that gets betrayed/finds out/gets used against him/needs protecting/etc (generalisation, not giving anything away). He basically fills the position of the GF or love interest in most other superhero stories. Its quite refreshing that they didn't make a love story any major part of this series actually.

Caporegime
I think he just massively underestimated her, as shown by his look of shock when she did it. When you get to that position you can make the mistake of simply assuming everyone is terrified of you and won't fight back.

Soldato
I'm glad I stuck this out as after the 3rd episode I was going to give up. Just watched the penultimate episode and for a second I though Madame Gao was going to do a Yoda and prove to be a benefits cheat.

I really like Vincent D'Onofrio's Kingpin and the way Vanessa has embraced the way he is.

Oh and I now know the point of Karen
to kill Wesley, I liked that character, and to get poor old Urich killed :mad:

Soldato
I've spent the past week watching this series and I really enjoyed it. The show it's probably most comparable to on TV is Arrow, but this is a million miles better. I much prefer the dark and moody tone of Daredevil, and it manages to do great character development without all the moody teen angst that the Arrow seems to really suffer from. Plus it still manages the odd bit of humour thanks to Foggy.

You can also tell it's got a big budget. The fight choreography is probably the best I've seen outside of a film, and the production values are superb.

Associate
For all those saying the original DD with ben aflack sucked ... bleh ... compared to this it looks great.

IMO this show is lame - and ya a pretty chick in the show doesnt make the show good.

Still prob watch the season when I get bored but seriously ...

Associate
For all those saying the original DD with ben aflack sucked ... bleh ... compared to this it looks great.

IMO this show is lame - and ya a pretty chick in the show doesnt make the show good.

Still prob watch the season when I get bored but seriously ...

So you've not watched it then? :o

R3X

R3X

Soldato
So glad to hear we got no teen drama nonsense in dd sometimes when I watch arrow I don't know if I should get a hanky out when felicity is on screen.

Associate
Yeah, a fat autistic guy struggling to even talk to a woman is a much better set up than a CW style romance.

It really is. It shows he has weakness, it shows he's just as human as the rest of us. It adds another dimension to his character. CW just gives us cliche after cliche with a ton of bad acting thrown in for good measure (I'm looking at you iris and laural).

Soldato
Just got to the scene where he beats on the Russian in the ally way, then about 3 cops cars pull up and have him at gun point.
So the fact he has this super hearing just stops, sorry no,thats to stupid.
Can't watch the rest knowing they are going to have things like that for the convenience of plot.

Back
Top Bottom