Anyone Using an Asus DSL-AC68U

Associate
Hi, been reading this thread for a while, was looking to get this device my self as an all in one solution ready for vdsl if I ever went down that root but after reading it has put me off.
I am currently on ADSL2 and get 18mb download due to living close the the exchange, am currently using a Tplink 8970 which I acquired from someone who went to virgin media before that was using a dlink 2740b.

Now as this device seems to have serious probs on the modem side I have been looking for another device.

Tplink have this listed http://www.tplink.com/uk/products/details/?categoryid=3788&model=Archer+VR900v but there is no info on it yet.

All the TP-Link Archer range as far as i know are ADSL or Router only devices, your link does not work so unsure what device you are trying to point to apart from it being an Archer.

There is no archer VDSL device i know of. Your current 8970 likewise is ADSL only and will NOT work with FTTC/VDSL.

If you want a TP-Link the current VDSL device is the W9980...
http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/cat-15_TD-W9980.html

Both the archer D9(modem router) and C9(router) both use the same style chassis and both have broadcom chips according to the devwiki site, so i am guessing they maybe very similar on the inside.

If it was a C9 or D9 Archer you were trying to point to they will NOT work with FTTC/VDSL they are ADSL only devices...
http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/cat-15_Archer-D9.html

Wonder if this will be a good solution when it is released, unless Asus do a ver 2 or something and change the modem chipset.

Unless it is another NEW TPLink device then no it wont work.

EDIT:

Think i have found the new devices you were trying to point to, there will be a
Archer VR200v - VDSL2,VoIP/DECT,AC750,USB 2.0 chipset VDSL2/ADSL2 Lantiq VR9 AC by Mediatek
Along with a
Archer VR900v - VDSL2,VoIP/DECT,AC1900,USB 3.0 could not find 100% confirmed info on the chipset though.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Looks like I've got the old problem I had when using the HG612, my upload rate drops to around 13mb.

I even had an engineer out at one point and he couldn't fix it and the only thing that does is using the HH5 on its own or another modem...

For some reason the HG612 throws up a ridiculous number of errors on the upstream which is the cause of the speed drop I think. I'll grab the stats now.

2cog5lh.jpg

Could just be placebo but my connection feels more snappy and stable with the HG612 and when I played a game of FIFA earlier it was a lot better than usual, thing is though I upload a lot when working from home so would really like my full upload back.

Last edited:
Associate
All the TP-Link Archer range as far as i know are ADSL or Router only devices, your link does not work so unsure what device you are trying to point to apart from it being an Archer.

There is no archer VDSL device i know of. Your current 8970 likewise is ADSL only and will NOT work with FTTC/VDSL.

If you want a TP-Link the current VDSL device is the W9980...
http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/cat-15_TD-W9980.html

If it was a C9 or D9 Archer you were trying to point to they will NOT work with FTTC/VDSL they are ADSL only devices...
http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/cat-15_Archer-D9.html

Unless it is another NEW TPLink device then no it wont work.

EDIT:

Think i have found the new devices you were trying to point to, there will be a
Archer VR200v - VDSL2,VoIP/DECT,AC750,USB 2.0 chipset VDSL2/ADSL2 Lantiq VR9 AC by Mediatek
Along with a
Archer VR900v - VDSL2,VoIP/DECT,AC1900,USB 3.0 could not find 100% confirmed info on the chipset though.

Lol TPLink have had a major website refresh since I posted that link it was a link to the Archer VR900v( its not even listed on the uk site now). It looks the same as the Archer C9/D9 but had no details listed for it other than some pics.

I know that my current setup does not support VDSL but I have been looking to replace my Modem router with some that supports vdsl so I am ready if I goto fiber and the DSL-AC68U was the one I was going to get before reading this thread.

I know that the archer C9/D9 dont support vdsl it was just since they both are listed as broadcom chips on the devwiki site I kinda hoped the VR900v might follow suit since they all look to use the same chassis but don't know till more info is available.

The VR200v is a new one to me, not seen that mentioned before.

Last edited:
Associate
Lol TPLink have had a major website refresh since I posted that link it was a link to the Archer VR900v( its not even listed on the uk site now). It looks the same as the Archer C9/D9 but had no details listed for it other than some pics.

From googling around it looks like the first places in Europe to get the vr200 and vr900 devices will be Germany and due anytime now (unless release date slips again, both devices were originally supposed to show up back in April :( )
I know that my current setup does not support VDSL but I have been looking to replace my Modem router with some that supports vdsl so I am ready if I goto fiber and the DSL-AC68U was the one I was going to get before reading this thread.
If it were me and my arm was twisted right this minute id probably buy either a Billion 8800NL or a Netgear D6400... Ideally id like the spec of the Netgear in the Billion but the interface and stats of the Billion in the Netgear LOL. A Billion 8800AXL would be a good compromise but they have never released any firmware upgrade for it which means older xDSL drivers :(.
Id personally right now stay away from anything which is not Broadcom based, your thinking/looking for a device you think the same ;)
I know that the archer C9/D9 dont support vdsl it was just since they both are listed as broadcom chips on the devwiki site I kinda hoped the VR900v might follow suit since they all look to use the same chassis but don't know till more info is available.
I would not read too much into the case of the device. As an example the Archer c7
http://uk.tp-link.com/search/?q=archer+c7
The OLD 1043ND
http://uk.tp-link.com/search/?q=1043&t=
and the W8980/9980
http://uk.tp-link.com/search/?q=8980&t=
As well as a couple of others (thats enough examples though ;) ) all have the same basic case but AFAIK all are different chipsets.
The VR200v is a new one to me, not seen that mentioned before.
http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-15_Archer-VR200v.html
(if that link works)

Looks basically spec wise similar to the current W9980 only with AC750 upgrade (a bit like what they did with the C2 archer series which replaced the older ND series devices).
Its something to sit in the middle between the coming soon vr900 and the older W9980 looks like it will use an Lantiq chipset though :( The vr900 MAY get a broadcom, im not sure Lantiq currently has a AC1200 and higher chipset so the Vr900 with AC1900 could well end up being broadcom (do not count your chickens yet though).

HTH :)

Last edited:
Associate
Id personally right now stay away from anything which is not Broadcom based

This really depends on what DSLAM type is on the line. If/when BT enable G.INP/PHYR on ECI DSLAMS Broadcom could well be the worst thing on your line.

Personally I would still match equipment to the DSLAM, so if your on a Huawei cabinet go with Broadcom and if your on ECI then possibly a Lantiq is the way forward but it's too early to be recommending anything really whist everything is up in the air.

Associate
This really depends on what DSLAM type is on the line. If/when BT enable G.INP/PHYR on ECI DSLAMS Broadcom could well be the worst thing on your line.

Personally I would still match equipment to the DSLAM, so if your on a Huawei cabinet go with Broadcom and if your on ECI then possibly a Lantiq is the way forward but it's too early to be recommending anything really.

Yeah, I agree. Those devices with a Broadcom chipset historically perform worse for me as I'm connected to a DSLAM with a Lantiq chipset, as such it seems the Fritz!Box 7490 does a much better job on my connection (fewer errors).

I've also noted that when my local Post Office shop is open I seem to get more CRC errors, so it must be running some equipment that is causing a small amount of interference.

Associate
A Billion 8800AXL would be a good compromise but they have never released any firmware upgrade for it which means older xDSL drivers :(.

Actually Billion have released new 8800NL and 8800AXL 2.32e firmware -

http://www.billion.uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3896

The above is a 2 week early firmware release for customers who want to test it out earlier, general availability will be in 2 weeks.

However the new Broadcom firmware code of the Billion is A2pv6F039g1.d24m and the Broadcom firmware code of the Netgear is A2pv6F039j.d25d which looks to be still later than the Billion.

Associate

Personally I would still match equipment to the DSLAM, so if your on a Huawei cabinet go with Broadcom and if your on ECI then possibly a Lantiq is the way forward but it's too early to be recommending anything really whist everything is up in the air.

Yeah, I agree. Those devices with a Broadcom chipset historically perform worse for me as I'm connected to a DSLAM with a Lantiq chipset, as such it seems the Fritz!Box 7490 does a much better job on my connection (fewer errors).

I've also noted that when my local Post Office shop is open I seem to get more CRC errors, so it must be running some equipment that is causing a small amount of interference.

From what i have read the only disadvantage of having a broadcom device on a ECI cabinet is typically (NOTE that word 'typically' of course things can vary) a loss of 2Mb or so download speed. Error count is 'typically' more down to line quality than device (except with regards to this Asus obviously ;) ).

Yes of course amount of errors can vary device to device (even if you have 2 devices with the same chipset) but neither should be giving error amounts to a degree that it should seriously compromise a connection.

If they are then typically unless the device is sub standard (the Asus again) or faulty they should all perform similarly, a few extra errors here or there difference or a few Mb here or there difference is nothing note worthy, things like that can occur based on just time of day syncing.

The rollout on G.INP for ECI cabinets has been put on hold, in the world of all things BT i would not be hoping for a anytime soon solution either. It took them over 3 years just to switch it on via the Huawei cabinets (they always had the ability just BT had the setting set as 'disabled' rather than 'enabled'). By the time they get round to fixing the ECI issues i doubt what chipset of router you have will make any difference (again by that i mean within a few Mb and error rates that only vary slightly). I would not even be shocked if by the time they fix it we are all moving onto the next new thing, be that FTTrn FTTPod or whatever appeaars.

PS @Ixel..... How big is your local post office, if it is a main branch it could be a whole bunch of things affecting your error rates, from them having a massive boiler to heat the building to men in warehouse using CB Radios, in a smaller one it could even be something as simple as old age sorting machines which from the era they were build had no or very little electrical shielding leading to Electromagnetic interference (AKA EMI).

Actually Billion have released new 8800NL and 8800AXL 2.32e firmware -

http://www.billion.uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3896

The above is a 2 week early firmware release for customers who want to test it out earlier, general availability will be in 2 weeks.

However the new Broadcom firmware code of the Billion is A2pv6F039g1.d24m and the Broadcom firmware code of the Netgear is A2pv6F039j.d25d which looks to be still later than the Billion.

Thats been in the works for a while but i have to assume there is something wrong with the AXL version as once again that version still has not shown up on their actual website...
http://www.billion.uk.com/esupport/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List/Index/92
The NL version is available but as stated they have never updated the AXL firmware. I personally do not want to be a test guinea pig if i did id buy this Asus ;) Its a shame as IMO the 8800AXL is currently probably the best device (features and stability compromise) you can buy in the 100-150 region. The next stage up IE the 200-300 region you are into top end dreytek and juniper territory both not really for consumer use.

Associate
Thats been in the works for a while but i have to assume there is something wrong with the AXL version as once again that version still has not shown up on their actual website...
http://www.billion.uk.com/esupport/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List/Index/92
The NL version is available but as stated they have never updated the AXL firmware. I personally do not want to be a test guinea pig if i did id buy this Asus ;) Its a shame as IMO the 8800AXL is currently probably the best device (features and stability compromise) you can buy in the 100-150 region. The next stage up IE the 200-300 region you are into top end dreytek and juniper territory both not really for consumer use.

You actually have to read the link and look at the dates, it was posted on June 3rd and they said general availability on there website would be next week, so that leaves technically 6 days till the end of the next work related week for possible release, not that I care about the Billion, I really don't like there products and it has been out for a very long time with no fw release.

As for Draytek, I do find them terribly overrated and do not live up to the specifications they quote (have been burnt by them before with them saying they support a certain amount of clients and it being completely false) and they can take a long time to release ideal fixes also and if I want to spend that much on network devices I would rather spend a little more and buy Cisco or another enterprise level product. Still, if a product gets good enough reviews even if I do not like the manufacturer does not mean I will never buy from them again, just wary of course. Draytek is definitely not in the same league as Juniper though, Juniper equipment is meant for Data centres and the sort of networks ISP's use.

But whatever we think the best products as said by many people including yourself seem to be the Broadcom chipset based ones at least on the modem side of things. So far the Netgear D6400 is running well, wish I could put that chipset in the ASUS instead of the mediatek. This time next year we will probably have a lot more options like that or people will have to switch to 2 box solutions to satisfy all there demands.

Associate
You actually have to read the link and look at the dates, it was posted on June 3rd and they said general availability on there website would be next week, so that leaves technically 6 days till the end of the next work related week for possible release, not that I care about the Billion, I really don't like there products and it has been out for a very long time with no fw release.

Technically you are correct and the billion website firmware is 2.32d rather than 2.32e which is mentioned in the billion forum (something else i missed when i replied) thread you pointed to. Will be interesting if this time anything officially appears for the 8800axl device. I doubt the actual billion website will be updated for the NL or AXL device this week, hopefully im wrong.

Heres a question....... why are so many manufacturers today messing up or confusing people with firmware releases with numbering sequences or naming in general which make little sense?? Zyxel as an example is a right balls up with their naming conventions (see kitz website).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom