Anyone Using an Asus DSL-AC68U

Associate
That's why I have a UPS :). However, if it's an area wide power failure then DLM should recognise this and not count this negatively against your connection.

As soon as the powercut happened i ran and unplugged the router and left it off for 30mins so it didnt affect DLM. I have now purchased the HG612 and i am going to get this unlocked and then i can see stats on the line.

I am currently on Infinity 2 but i will be changing to Plusnet soon!

Associate
Ive now got the HG612 working and got this on the WAN onto the Asus and will hope DLM will take interleaving off my line!

I also like how i am able to track my stats a lot better too!

Associate
coming back after long time ... did not read everything but i see mentioned the tp link vr900

well the vr200 is a Lantiq one (good for ECI vdsl cabins), my guess the vr900 will be the same but just higher specs with wifi

not sure 100% but looks like the same case with their D5/7/9 series which are all xdsl broadcom ... so looks the archer vr series could be the same case

Associate
In my Router GUI it reports as fastpath, in TC Console for it to be fastpath InterleaveDepth must be =1. how ever mine is not 1. "Which one is telling the truth" I asked myself, I checked my ping and usually fastpath for me is 8-9ms, anything above that its not fastpath.

My pings at the moment are 17-18ms which supports that the gui is wrong and tc console is correct. I have reported this to asus and hes saying this is an isp issue. what do you guys think? anyone elese experiencing this odity?

Fair play to this firmware no more disconnections, sync had gone up to what it was with openreach modem, but unfortunatly after waiting way over a month for it to return to fatpath it has not.

DjP

DjP

Associate
Hi,
I've been following this thread with interest as I don't get good wifi signal from HH5 and have been looking for an all-in-one modem/router that will give better wifi performance. I get this device isn't perfect but it seems the various firmware revs have made it "ok". I've taken the plunge and ordered one (for £140) and will replace my HH5 with it.
I have very solid 76Mbps down and 19 Mbps up the line and I want to be careful not to disrupt the connection and get DLMed to slower speeds. To do this I suspect I need to have a "clean" implementation of the ASUS modem/router. Does anyone have a comprehensive set of things to do to make this as seamless as possible? I'm thinking that I should flash the firmware while the HH5 is still the modem/router and make some config changes and then replace devices.
Would really appreciate some help on:
- what steps to perform
- in what order
- firmware version to implement
- config changes to make

Thanks in advance, appreciated!
DjP

Associate
The difference being the BTOR ECI modem and the HomeHub5a don't correctly support G.INP unlike more recent 3rd party devices.

Not sure on that you still have to pay attention, most lantiq based vrx-xxxx chipsets do NOT by default support G.INP and those that do require firmware updates more often than not.
The http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,15283.0.html thread makes interesting reading, of the mentioned supported G.INP devices IE...
ASUS DSL-AC68U
Billion 8800NL
Billion 8800AXL
BT HomeHub 5 Type B (BCM chipset & Software version V0.07.01.0235-BT)
Draytek Vigor 2860 series - 28/04/15 Appears to only work with g.inp beta f/w available here. May also work with the vectoring f/w on the same page
Fritzbox vdsl routers - 7390 & 7490 are ok. unsure if it applies to all models.
Netgear DGND3700v1 (Custom firmware: 2015-02-08)
Netgear D6400 - Now seems to be working.
Sky Hub SR102
Talk Talk Super router (Huawei HG635)
Thomson TG589vn v3
TP-Link TD-W9980 - compatible if using f/w TD-W9980_V1_150507 .
Zyxel VMG8324
Zyxel VMG8924

Only 3 of them AFAIK are not broadcom chipsets those being the Asus AC68U discussed here in this thread which is Mediatek based.

The vigor 2860 which i think is lantiq like homehub 5a and ECI modems (NOTE the dreytek 2850 still does not support G.INP and is an earlier revision chipset) and finally...
The TP-Link which is only capable with a firmware update and options which have been basically been enabled via its xDSL driver and scripting (something others could had done manually if they did not lock down telnet on that device as is evident from the beta firmware they released with telnet enabled prior to that mentioned final firmware version above).

Me personally right now i would not touch anything that was not a Broadcom 6368 or 63168 chipset device. (IE all the others on that list).

Hi,
I've been following this thread with interest as I don't get good wifi signal from HH5 and have been looking for an all-in-one modem/router that will give better wifi performance. I get this device isn't perfect but it seems the various firmware revs have made it "ok". I've taken the plunge and ordered one (for £140) and will replace my HH5 with it.
I have very solid 76Mbps down and 19 Mbps up the line and I want to be careful not to disrupt the connection and get DLMed to slower speeds. To do this I suspect I need to have a "clean" implementation of the ASUS modem/router. Does anyone have a comprehensive set of things to do to make this as seamless as possible? I'm thinking that I should flash the firmware while the HH5 is still the modem/router and make some config changes and then replace devices.
- what steps to perform
- in what order
- config changes to make

DjP

DO NOT do it, save your money, if wifi signal strength (IE it reaching certain areas of your home) is the only issue you have with the HH5 just spend a third of the money on a wifi access point/extender will be a better and cheaper option.

You will be wasting your money on the Asus IMO and it will unless you have a VERY RARE completely error free line have issues with DLM or errors with the Asus. If you really must replace it and want an AC wifi device to replace it with go for the Netgear D6400, Billion 8800AXL or a Zyxel VMG8924. If its just a case of wifi reaching parts of your home theres far cheaper and better solutions than spending £160(ish) on this box.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi,
- what steps to perform
- in what order
- config changes to make

DjP

Hi,

I got this router and i am now down from 75mb to 64mb but it was down to my fault mainly due to having a lot of electrical work done & making router changes. Apart from this i have no issue with the router what so ever and think it is a great router.

I would do the firmware download and install this and then factory reset the device. Then put all the settings in that you want then and let it go. Ive never had a problem with the device i am just desperate for DLM to do its work.

DjP

DjP

Associate
Hi,

I got this router and i am now down from 75mb to 64mb but it was down to my fault mainly due to having a lot of electrical work done & making router changes. Apart from this i have no issue with the router what so ever and think it is a great router.

I would do the firmware download and install this and then factory reset the device. Then put all the settings in that you want then and let it go. Ive never had a problem with the device i am just desperate for DLM to do its work.

Thanks, useful info. Is the firmware now "standard" or do I have to go look for a specific beta or just use latest? Any suggestions on any specific settings required?

DjP

DjP

Associate
DO NOT do it, save your money, if wifi signal strength (IE it reaching certain areas of your home) is the only issue you have with the HH5 just spend a third of the money on a wifi access point/extender will be a better and cheaper option.

Thanks - I'm going to give it a week and if it's horrible I'll send it back. As well as wifi strength I get patch performance which I think is just sheer processing limitation with several devices connected simultaneously. I'm sure you know more than me, but I'm tempted by "upgrading" from HH5...:eek:

Soldato
I agree with bitsnbobs. Should have gone with the netgear d6400. I went from 74mb done straight to 67mb as soon as I connected the Asus. Tried the netgear and back to full sync.
Only way to get full sync back was to manual change settings and levels which then gave large amounts of errors. I'll let you decide for yourself though.

Associate
Well I sent my asus back last week and am back on my fritzbox 7390 and I'm back on fastpath with 76/20 instead of 56/12 with the asus. Shame as the asus looked lovely and I had high hopes. My fritzbox is just way more stable.

Back
Top Bottom