Anyone Using an Asus DSL-AC68U

Associate
I have to agree with all what's said. ASUS has been the only DSL modem brand to cause problems on my line too. I've ran various other modem brands, that being the Huawei HG612, ECI /i, ECI /r, and now currently what appears to be stable and producing far less errors than the HG612 even - the Fritz!Box 7490 - now that I've got the public IPv4 subnet working without doing anything hacky.

I've put my ASUS DSL-AC68U back in the box and I will only get it out for purely routing purposes if I need a spare router. I don't trust the modem in it any longer unless the connection it's on is interleaved - which sucks of course.

This experience doesn't inspire me much confidence in buying products in future with the ASUS brand to be honest.

Regarding the Fritz 7490, it's been the most stable device on my line.

Not sure if this is a coincidence or not but yesterday I replaced the original Y dsl/phone cable with a shielded home made concoction which boosted DS by 4Mbps instantly. Furthermore at 1am this morning my SNRM ratio dropped from 6db/7db to 5db/6db and has held at this for what is now almost 24hrs. Since then the box hasn't recorded a single CRC/ES/SES error on either the DS or US.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi, been reading this thread for a while, was looking to get this device my self as an all in one solution ready for vdsl if I ever went down that root but after reading it has put me off.
I am currently on ADSL2 and get 18mb download due to living close the the exchange, am currently using a Tplink 8970 which I acquired from someone who went to virgin media before that was using a dlink 2740b.

Now as this device seems to have serious probs on the modem side I have been looking for another device.

Tplink have this listed http://www.tplink.com/uk/products/details/?categoryid=3788&model=Archer+VR900v but there is no info on it yet.

Both the archer D9(modem router) and C9(router) both use the same style chassis and both have broadcom chips according to the devwiki site, so i am guessing they maybe very similar on the inside.

Wonder if this will be a good solution when it is released, unless Asus do a ver 2 or something and change the modem chipset.

Associate
Your Cabinet is Huawei which uses Broadcom so use a Broadcom based modem/router such as the HG612,Zyxel VMG8324/8924 or Billion 8800 series. The Asus uses a Mediatek chipset which is almost unique to Asus I believe.

Back
Top Bottom