• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1060

Associate
1060 prices is same as 980 and performance is the same as a 980 so where's the jumps? 2 years old tech and we're still at that same level.

well, I guess 1060 is like a refresh card with more memory and more efficient that those from 2 years ago, so if you are buying a card now it makes sense to get it. If you want an upgrade then yeah you would consider something else, I guess.

Caporegime
1060 prices is same as 980 and performance is the same as a 980 so where's the jumps? 2 years old tech and we're still at that same level.

Erm, obviously it is a lower tier card with the same performance as a previous higher-tier card. That is the difference, and one of the main benefits of new architecture filtering down through the price ranges.

Caporegime
Indeed. With custom 480s already at the £250-£260 mark these are never going to be less. i reckon the real high end ones will be around £300. Zotac are normally one of the more reasonable brands...

6GB premium brands at £300 and more would not surprise me, Nvidia know they can sell them in massive amounts at those prices so they will.

look at the whole "Founders Edition" crap, that's what they think of their user base, subjects to be fleeced.

Associate
6GB premium brands at £300 and more would not surprise me, Nvidia know they can sell them in massive amounts at those prices so they will.

look at the whole "Founders Edition" crap, that's what they think of their user base, subjects to be fleeced.

so your whole point is that people buy Nvidia cards without caring what they buy, don't run any tests, don't think for a sec and just buy whatever Nvidia comes up with, regardless of needs, specs etc. Is that really what you are saying?

Soldato
yes I did look at a certain auction site for a decent 2nd hand card last week for my nephew..most people seem to want more for last gen cards than they are new lol.

Probably the same people declaring the 1070/1080 a rip off.

I'd not buy a graphics card second hand due to the risks involved combined with the price people unrealistically expect to get for them.

I once tried to pick up a 780 Ti to Sli with an existing card but if I remember correctly the seller thought it was a bargain at something like £400 when a new gen faster card was only a small amount more - calling me names too when I said he was expecting too much.

Now I'd rather spend the extra on a brand new card with no quibbles warranty, not overclocked before, etc etc

Associate
The "tier" factor doesn't come into it when it's the same cost. If it was cheaper then that would be a different point all together

In my eyes, if can you get a lower tier card, with more memory and running on a newer architecture, if it's about the same performance with an older higher tier card then things can't be that bad.

The whole point for the AMD line was that they get better in time with drivers as it's a newer tech. The same can be said about 1060 or suddenly the same reasoning does not work for this card?

Is it not exactly the same thing?

Caporegime
The "tier" factor doesn't come into it when it's the same cost. If it was cheaper then that would be a different point all together

The 980 was £420+ on release. It has only dropped to around £300 recently because of these new releases.

Also the exchange rate when the 900 series rekeased was just over 1.6. Now it is just over 1.3.... that is a 20% price increae just there....

Caporegime
so your whole point is that people buy Nvidia cards without caring what they buy, don't run any tests, don't think for a sec and just buy whatever Nvidia comes up with, regardless of needs, specs etc. Is that really what you are saying?

No they care and no doubt they think they are getting a good card, and they would be, but for a lot of pepole Nvidia are the default if not the only brand they are willing to buy, Nvidia know this and price accordingly.

Soldato
In my eyes, if can you get a lower tier card, with more memory and running on a newer architecture, if it's about the same performance with an older higher tier card then things can't be that bad.

The whole point for the AMD line was that they get better in time with drivers as it's a newer tech. The same can be said about 1060 or suddenly the same reasoning does not work for this card?

Is it not exactly the same thing?

I guess with new drivers then the difference would eventually pull away so yeah you have a point.

Associate
No they care and no doubt they think they are getting a good card, and they would be, but for a lot of pepole Nvidia are the default if not the only brand they are willing to buy, Nvidia know this and price accordingly.

There is also the issue of monitors. If you have a GSync and a top one like I do, you would probably not consider switching as you'd need to get not only a card but a monitor as well. The same happens if you have Freesync.

Associate
The power/efficiency gains are nice, but what do they actually equate to over a year?

I'd have to know that before moving that up the priority list, and tbh my power bills are pretty low anyway. I understand power bills might be a real issue for those with 3-4 kids!

Well it's not just about the amount saved.. lowering consumption is a good goal in it's own right. Plus there should be some improvements in heat and noise due to this. Certainly though gaming on a budget, you can't beat the 2nd hand market. Especially if it's on a trusted platform

Associate
Remind me again why AMD is a better option at £250?

Everything points to the 1060 outperforming the RX 480 and using less power. £250 seems to be the cheapest you will pay for a decent non ref 480?

Starting to see RX 480s appear at £290.

Back
Top Bottom