• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Thread**

Soldato
Years ago I'd have been moaning that it was Parcelforce but my god do they deliver early here. Just got mine at 8:50 this morning! :D

Few quick and dirty mobile phone photos of the lovely packaging:

Soldato
Same here Gregster, was chomping at the bit like you, but watching some reviews last night still seems the coolers a bit naff. I'm moving house and will be closer to my PC than before so don't think I can deal with the noise when it's going full pelt.

Noise on FE cooler is not that bad with stock fan profile, infact its not much louder then the aftermarket cards 1-2 decibels normally. But it will not maintain as high boost and those looking to get speeds similar to aftermarket cards will need to ramp up the fan which is what makes them pretty loud. Obviously with aftermarket you benefit from a very slightly quieter card which for most models have a 0db mode at idle then can boost higher under load.

Associate
congratz to those getting it today!

I see Nvidia didn't play around! :D

my 1080 is still unsold.. maybe theres reason behind it .. but I cba dropping it anymore :-z

Associate
I was thinking.. today we should see FE cards from other brands as well, right?
What if I buy today EVGA stock cooler version, then in a month or two use step up program and swap for FTW version - is this possible?

Soldato
congratz to those getting it today!

I see Nvidia didn't play around! :D

my 1080 is still unsold.. maybe theres reason behind it .. but I cba dropping it anymore :-z

Try Gumtree or eBay, prices tend to hold a bit better on there.

I was thinking.. today we should see FE cards from other brands as well, right?
What if I buy today EVGA stock cooler version, then in a month or two use step up program and swap for FTW version - is this possible?

Yes, I suspect most of the stock will be FE cards. I'd get a Gigabyte or EVGA if I was patient lol.

Associate
Noise on FE cooler is not that bad with stock fan profile, infact its not much louder then the aftermarket cards 1-2 decibels normally. But it will not maintain as high boost and those looking to get speeds similar to aftermarket cards will need to ramp up the fan which is what makes them pretty loud. Obviously with aftermarket you benefit from a very slightly quieter card which for most models have a 0db mode at idle then can boost higher under load.
Yer I'm truly torn. Overclocking on Pascal doesn't seem great so I'm wondering if the lost performance compared to aftermarket is even worth bothering about.

Soldato
Yes that should work, just be aware stock for newly released cards for Step Up is always very limited and very quickly taken. So if that is the route you want to go be prepared to keep checking for when the GTX1080Ti's are added to Step Up and do it as soon as possible or you will be waiting quite some time.

Associate
Yes that should work, just be aware stock for newly released cards for Step Up is always very limited and very quickly taken. So if that is the route you want to go be prepared to keep checking for when the GTX1080Ti's are added to Step Up and do it as soon as possible or you will be waiting quite some time.
How much value of the FE would you lose doing this?

Soldato
My sis brought my 980 Ti over from the states unfortunately she arrives today so I may have to bite the bullet and pay the full price this time. I'm just waiting on Gamers Nexus to make another hybrid using an EVGA AIO cooler as I have one of those spare which cost $50.

Associate
My sis brought my 980 Ti over from the states unfortunately she arrives today so I may have to bite the bullet and pay the full price this time. I'm just waiting on Gamers Nexus making another hybrid using an EVGA AIO cooler as I have one of those spare which cost $50.
The cost of the card this time is as close to the actual dollar value as we've had (I'm pretty sure). Can't imagine you would save much getting from the states this time around.

Permabanned
Yer I'm truly torn. Overclocking on Pascal doesn't seem great so I'm wondering if the lost performance compared to aftermarket is even worth bothering about.

From what I have read the reference throttles at 70% fan on an open test bench. If you want a reference card then you will have to put it under water or lose the performance you are paying for.

Caporegime
From what I have read the reference throttles at 70% fan on an open test bench. If you want a reference card then you will have to put it under water or lose the performance you are paying for.
This.

Unless you can live the the noise, you will end up paying top money for a card which in real life tests wont be that much faster than an AIB 1080. If you are going to pay £699 for a great card, you may as well pay another £50 for one with a decent cooler which won't throttle unless you are putting it under water.

Associate
How much though that's the question, from memory the aftermarket 1080's weren't much quicker on air. Up to 10% I can deal with in exchange for impatience.

Associate
This.

Unless you can live the the noise, you will end up paying top money for a card which in real life tests wont be that much faster than an AIB 1080. If you are going to pay £699 for a great card, you may as well pay another £50 for one with a decent cooler which won't throttle unless you are putting it under water.
Ok, I think I will take your advice and wait. My current 980ti is clocked at 1450mhz with the fan ramping up 80%. It's pretty loud but I play with surround sound on and the PC is the other side of the room, so it's acceptable. I will be moving house though and will be having a games room/study so will be sat right next to my rig where the noise will be much more audible.

Associate
This.

This can't be right.. nvidia wouldn't sell a product like that. You're saying that everyone who buys reference card (FE) will be buying 1080 cause it throttles down when gaming?

Associate
This.

I was 99% sure I was going for an FE card today just because I am an impatient sod. But these last 2 quotes have convinced me to hang fire and do without my PC for 2-3 more weeks. It will give me a chance to get through a dozen 4k movies bought for me at Xmas :)

Back
Top Bottom